Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Frank Mason III

• JoJoHawk
  • JoJoHawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
7 years 3 months ago #11216 by JoJoHawk
I worry about Frank a little. I am not overly concerned about his stamina physically as I am mentally. Here is a young man who seems to have literally willed himself to become one of the preeminent point guards, not to mention all around players, in division I basketball and has done so against apparently great odds (see recentl SI article). He seems exceptionally well grounded as to what it means to be privileged to be where he is in life at this time- working on a college degree and playing basketball at an elite program. He is a great college point guard, but what prospects lie ahead- he is a bit undersized for NBA stardom. If he is a realist, and as a senior, the thought must cross his mind that this year, this team, may be his pinnacle, his biggest hoorah! I certainly hope not. It must be at least a bit disheartening for him to have to live through this seasons off court distractions- that's my concern. In a season that has seen team chemistry already interrupted by an untimely season ending injury and a couple of suspensions, a season that could be one police report/ PA review from being smashed to pieces, Frank has been a steady beacon of light, leading by example.

The following is a quote from the NYT article on Russell Westbrook from Coach Donovan- it could as well be HCBS on Frank:

"The No. 1 thing for him is how hard he competes. It starts there. That doesn’t mean he plays a perfect game, doesn’t mean that he never turns the ball over, doesn’t mean that he doesn’t miss a defensive assignment. But when the ball is loose on the glass or on the floor, when it requires energy and passion and fire — Russell is bringing that. So many players live with regret: They could have done a little bit more, been more committed, worked harder. I think he’s going to have a great level of peace when his time is done. He’s going to be able to move on with his life. He’s going to have peace in his heart."

I worry about Frank, but I think he'll be OK. Shine on and RCJH!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.