Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Interesting stat at the halfway point of the conf race

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #10958 by NotOstertag
In the driver's seat at 8-1. Nice job guys. In addition, we've crossed the magic 20 game threshold that seems to be necessary to make the NCAA tourney field. :)

Going over my own little schedule sheet, however, a couple other things popped out (and I'm sure they'll be confirmed by our other stat masters with better data).

Based on history, 13 wins is usually enough to guarantee at least a tie for the conference. If that holds up, we need to go at least 5-4 in the 2nd half of the conference race. What's interesting, however, is that for 4 teams, 13 conference wins is already a mathematical impossibility. They are Tech, OU, OSU, and Texas.

If you assume that that the threshold is 14 games to win a ring, you can add KSU and TCU to that list, meaning only 4 teams are still alive to get to 14. Of those, ISU is on the bubble with only 5 wins. They'd have to run the table in the 2nd half of the conference race to get to 14. We can fix that on Saturday.

In terms of total elimination, OU is in the most jeopardy at 6 games back with 9 to play. They could be eliminated by the middle of next week, with Tech, Texas and OSU potentially eliminated by next Saturday.

Lots of ball left to play, but it's always great being in the driver's seat.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, gorillahawk, mtnMan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.