Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Vick 2015 Incident?

• OreadExpress
  • OreadExpress's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #10880 by OreadExpress
I don't recall this incident at all. Parrish mentioned a report in the KC Star that is just out regarding Vick striking a female student numerous times in late 2015. Looks like folks are out turning over rocks right now...

CBS Sports Article

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• OreadExpress
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #10881 by OreadExpress
Here's the KC Star article by Laura Bauer and Jesse Newell.

KC Star

More
7 years 2 months ago #10889 by NotOstertag
This is extremely troubling. I have a really hard time forgiving any guy who is violent with a woman. I'm going to have trouble getting excited about Vick if nothing else comes out to change what are in my mind fairly inexcusable actions.

It's also troubling that he was never suspended.

That leaves two "extreme" polar opposite explanations, with the truth lying in the gray area in between.

Worst scenario: he did it and Self worked with the university to cover it up. In this scenario, not only am I not longer a Vick van, but I'm not proud of the school or program. If this is the case, and Self was involved in sweeping this under the rug, he may have to go. Clean house.

Best scenario: Vick was involved in a situation where the violence was inadvertent, or there were mitigating factors. Maybe there was a bar brawl and fists were flying and the woman got caught up in the middle of it. Vick admits guilt of the battery, but due to the nature of it is given a 2nd chance. Rather than report it to the press, since there were no police involved nor criminal charges, it was handled I house, and Vick has been quietly serving probation.

In any case, it needs to be addressed. At the same time, with no criminal charges, it's not public and both Vick and the victim are legally allowed to maintain confidentiality. Meanwhile it's also troubling that this supposed confidential information was leaked to the Star, which raises a whole other slew of questions regarding the motives of both the leaker and the reporter.

Ku needs to provide some more info.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
7 years 2 months ago #10894 by DrJHawker
Troubling, yes. Yet, doing nothing doesn't at all sound like Self's track record. Something seems fishy.

More
7 years 2 months ago #10895 by Bayhawk
RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
7 years 2 months ago #10896 by NotOstertag
Totally agree DrJ, which is why it's so troubling.

While I doubt it's the case and really pray it's not, it makes it possible that the bright and shiny exterior façade of KU basketball is really just as dirty and filthy as some of the other programs that we've collectively looked down upon. With that, maybe Self appears to have more character in public than he does behind closed doors. Again, not saying that this is the case, but a while back, I'm sure a bunch of North Carolina fans thought that their program would never get involved in a cheating scandal. Bottom line, in this "worst case" scenario, it has the potential to profoundly change how I feel about KU basketball.

Nevertheless, the "worst case" would certainly be shocking, and my working assumption is that since no charges came of it, things were settled internally. I'm also hoping that there's "more to the story" that somehow makes the while assault on the female victim less bad. While I doubt we'll get the security camera footage showing a clear case of self defense that Mr. Bragg got, I hope that there's a somewhat reasonable explanation.

Finally, this whole thing seems very sketchy in that it was supposedly all confidential, and yet it got leaked. Meanwhile, the victim, victim's lawyer, and victim's dad are all supposedly not talking. Was there a settlement that exchanged payment for silence, or are they just keeping these potential "mitigating circumstances" quiet, or are all parties legally bound to keep this confidential (which again leads to the question of how it leaked and why it was leaked).

Bottom line, it's a bit of a mess, and I would hope that within the next day or so, the lawyers at KU can come up with an explanation that HCBS can share with the fans.

Short of that, we're left with the following: Vick hit a girl, and it was kept out of the public eye. Not a great situation.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
7 years 2 months ago #10903 by JayhawkChef
The LJ World suggests as another possibility in its article today that Vick was punished by HCBS and the punishment was never publicly discussed.

More
7 years 2 months ago #10908 by denster
I think the key word in this article is it likely happened.

More
7 years 2 months ago #10911 by denster
Another thought, the article mentions probation, couldn't he be on probation, another incident he is off?

More
7 years 2 months ago #10914 by NotOstertag
Possible but the timeline doesn't add up. The incident took place in December 2015, and Vick didn't miss any playing time except for a couple times due to illness. Seems to me that a suspension due to a violation of team rules would have been the standard procedure rather than benching him and saying he wasn't feeling well.

More
7 years 2 months ago #10923 by denster
We Just don't have all the facts. Whoever leaked the information probably will be in trouble, I guess any student information is protected by frepa which is kind of like hipaa. I'm not sure whistle blower status would protect you.

More
7 years 2 months ago #10967 by NotOstertag
Exactly. If it's so confidential that HCBS can't comment, then somebody leaked private information. They need to not only find and remove the leaker, but also examine the motivation behind it.

• OreadExpress
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #10970 by OreadExpress
Asked about this last night and Self read a prepared statement about the Vick situation. He made it clear it would be the last comment on the topic. It would seem that this was an incident that was meant to remain private due to the nature of the situation. Someone on the inside apparently has taken it upon themselves to disclose information that should not have been made public and likely did so to put the program and university in a bad light. I imagine if the identity of that person is known or comes to light there will be some unpleasant consequences.

I have been told that I cannot comment on a university investigation or whether one is or is not taking place or has ever taken place, and due to previous practice by the university and by the athletic department, I would not be giving any details of such investigation...So what was reported was reported. I haven’t been made aware of anything. So that’s where that is and that’s the last time and the only thing that I will say concerning that. Because I have basically been told that that’s all that can be said, period.

CJ online
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by OreadExpress.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk