Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Bragg charged

• OreadExpress
  • OreadExpress's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 3 months ago #10846 by OreadExpress
Just saw this on KC star online... I 'm sure there will be others picking it up shortly.

KC Star

CB was the one who received the notice to appear and that undoubtedly triggered his suspension. First appearance Feb. 14.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 3 months ago #10847 by Bayhawk
So now we know why he's always smiling . . . . :dry:

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

• OreadExpress
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #10849 by OreadExpress
FWIW, I read the article and had a "flashback" to Cheech and Chong's "Up in Smoke".

Up in smoke, that's where I wanna be
'Cause when I'm high the world below don't bother me
When life begins to be one long and dangerous road
I take a toke and all my cares go up in smoke.

Last Edit: 7 years 3 months ago by OreadExpress.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #10850 by Bayhawk
Anyone know Kansas law regarding such? Here on the left coast nobody cares (assuming it's just weed).

RC

-- Jules Michelet
Last Edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Bayhawk.

• OreadExpress
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 3 months ago #10851 by OreadExpress
Local paper report:

LJ World

• OreadExpress
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 3 months ago #10852 by OreadExpress
Class A non-person misdemeanor (highest level of misdemeanor).. Up to 1 year in jail, up to $2,500 fine.

Assuming no priors and a view from the court of his being an otherwise decent young man, I imagine probation and a small fine might be expected...just my humble, non-legal-eagle opinion.

How it affects CBs tenure with the team is another question.

More
7 years 3 months ago #10855 by NotOstertag
Well, now we know. Is it bad? Yeah. Is it career ending bad? I don't think so.

I'm guessing that lots of these guys have been known to smoke pot, and that like many other college students, if you're not caught doing it, people look the other way. With pot being increasingly decriminalized around the country, things like this aren't even criminal in many places where the team plays.

Not making an excuse for it. Not condoning it. But being in possession of a bong or whatever is a whole lot LESS bad than being part of a sexual assault.

Any legal scholars on the board know what kind of punishment (legally speaking) that he's looking at. I'd imagine that it would be a fine of some sort, no jail, etc.

The ball is in HCBS's court now, I guess. Seems that in the past, there would be an undisclosed list of things Mr. Bragg would have to accomplish to be reinstated.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
7 years 3 months ago #10858 by NotOstertag
One more thought re: suspension.

Apparently he was charged today and is due back in court on 2/14. I'm guessing that by then, his lawyer and the court will have worked out their deal, and Bragg will plead guilty to whatever is agreed upon, and he'll get whatever punishment he's going to get.

With things still "pending" I doubt that we see him play for the next 2 weeks until the case is settled. Afterward, who knows. Could come back immediately, or not depending on HCBS.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 3 months ago #10862 by Wheatstate Gal
Smh.....

Mr "act first, think later (if at all)"

At what point does the team call a meeting and "take some action". He doesn't seem to listen to his elders....

I know, he's young....but he ain't too bright.....

More
7 years 3 months ago #10872 by DrJHawker
Based on the two incidents, you have to think Carlton's extra-curricular activities have impacted his on court performance. College kids need to have some fun, but you can have fun in other ways that he has chosen. With so much on the line, for his team (that needs him to step up) and for his future, I wish he would be more focused on basketball.

Hoping he'll have a wake up moment soon.

More
7 years 3 months ago #10878 by RobS
Regarding how long he's out, I'd remind us all of:

- Jerrance Howard suspended 2 weeks

Howard is a coach, but didn't even tell Self until much later, when the news got out. He was actually charged with misdemeanor possession of marijuana, not paraphernalia.
Bragg is a player, and has youth as an excuse but only residue of drug involved, though other past incidents no doubt affect his penalty from Self.

Regarding crime and punishment, could we say that the pipe was a smoking piece of evidence?

Mongo just pawn in game of life.

More
7 years 3 months ago #10879 by hairyhawk
It is my understanding they found a glass pipe with residue. It is my understanding that not many people smoke weed from a glass pipe. Usually a glass pipe is used for other chemicals. I have no knowledge of this case or what was going there but that is what I have heard of glass pipes. I hope I am wrong.

More
7 years 3 months ago #10886 by sasnak
That is my understanding too

It'll feel better when it stops hurting

More
7 years 3 months ago #10890 by Bayhawk
"Watch it as it takes you there." was the slogan in the '70's for smoking pot in glass (bong or pipe). B)

But that was a previous lifetime, :blink:

RC

-- Jules Michelet

More
7 years 3 months ago #10891 by NotOstertag
I'm not sure how it would be referred to legally, seeing that "glass pipe" could also mean a bong. Then again, with all of these crazy new drugs out there including things like synthetic marijuana or even bath salts, I can't keep track of it all. Throw in "vaping" and I'm sure that I'm horribly misinformed as to the current drug use procedures.

As for Bragg's incidents, the one at the frat party could have been pretty bad, but in reality that was a fairly spontaneous and random incident. It could have happened to anyone, and his only real "misbehavior" that led to it was either attending the party (common in college) or that he fooled around on his girlfriend and she didn't take it well and attacked him.

The pipe/bong thing is a little different in that it points to a continued and premeditated form of misbehavior. You either are somebody who chooses to get high on illegal substances, or you're not. He apparently is. While I don't condone that, I also think that society is moving in a direction where that's considered acceptable behavior. In many places now, what he's charged with isn't even a crime. So theoretically, he could have picked up the pipe in some place like California and brought it back to Kansas where it's now a crime. Of course I'm not that naïve, but it is interesting that it's perfectly legal in some places and not in others. That's where "team rules" come into play. Coach can say "no booze, no drugs, in bed and asleep by 10pm" and if you want to be on the team you follow the rules.

Somewhat related story: my neighbor's son runs cross country for a D2 school. Clearly not anywhere near the notoriety of being a hoops player at a blue blood school. Nevertheless, this year he was a senior and captain of the team. I think I've seen him drink a beer once or twice (he's only 21) and he was telling me that the cross country team has a very strict no alcohol policy leading up to and during the season. Moreover, it's enforced by the upper classmen on the team. He was saying that everyone looks forward to the rule being relaxed at the end of the year, but to hear this kid talking about it, if you're seriously training for an endurance sport, any drinking whatsoever will inhibit your training. As a result, he told me that the kids on the team actually stick with this rule and don't drink for several months. Makes me wonder about the cultural difference between a D2 cross country team where kids are competing without any fame or promise of riches later on vs. a D1 basketball program where kids are on-campus celebrities.

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 3 months ago #10892 by Wheatstate Gal
Paper.....Zig-zag

Bay....you brought back yet another memory, that until this morning had long been forgotten.

:-D

More
7 years 3 months ago #10893 by Bayhawk

RC

-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Wheatstate Gal

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 3 months ago #10899 by HawkErrant
"Mem-ries... light the corners of my..." ... oops, ssoo sorry, strike that!
Thanks! ;)

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, Wheatstate Gal

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 3 months ago #10900 by Wheatstate Gal
You two just Make my Day.

go ahead.........

More
7 years 3 months ago #10902 by DrJHawker