Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Disappointed - KUMBB- nothing do to with BB

• LKF_HAWK
  • LKF_HAWK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #10709 by LKF_HAWK
This has been a disappointing week as a KU Alum and fan, and it had nothing to do with the how the team is playing.

Carlton Bragg, a young man who was given a second chance to get back on track in school and with the team, decides to make another immature decision, This decision not only costs his teammates but may ultimately cost him the greatest opportunity that life has given him to get an education, possibly play pro-ball and a solid future. Thankfully, Carlton's suspension has nothing to do with the McCarthey Hall Incident, as I implicitly trust HCBS.

Re. McCarthey Hall, if this report is true, first and foremost whoever is involved should be punished to the fullest extent of the law, she was 16. I am so sad that she was taken advantage of, makes me furious, my blood is boiling.

We know that 5 players have been deemed as "witnesses" and we'll have to wait and see; but even the possibility of KU MBB players being associated, tangetially or not, with this whole situation is enormously disappointing

My only confidence is that HCBS, who has proven to do the right thing in the past is the man in charge. I would rather have 5 ball boys start if it sent a message that this is Kansas and that as a staff, program, fans and University won't tolerate this.

Sad and disappointed Jayhawk!
Last Edit: 7 years 3 months ago by LKF_HAWK.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• Bayhawk
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 3 months ago #10712 by Bayhawk
LKF buddy, please hold that fury and anger until the facts come to light. If our worst fear comes true, then I'm with you 100%. But if our young men are not guilty of anything -- please, please, please -- then we should continue to be proud of the good program HCBS maintains.

Meanwhile, I'm holding my breath,

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, murphyslaw, Wheatstate Gal

• LKF_HAWK
  • LKF_HAWK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 3 months ago #10721 by LKF_HAWK
Bay buddy, I agree let the facts and truth come to light in the investigation. My fury is with Carlton for continuing to make immature decisions. It seems his Jan incident was the 2nd time last year he had questionable behavior with a woman.

My frustration is that our MBB were "witnesses" to whatever happened on Dec 17/18. They need to know better as in situational awareness. My hope is the players were "Witnesses" in that they tried to stop what happened or they reported what happened.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

More
7 years 3 months ago #10723 by murphyslaw
I, too, am bothered by the fact that several players were witnesses to the incident. Given the numbers of players who witnessed the rape, you would think they would have been able to overpower the perpetrator.

More
7 years 3 months ago #10726 by NotOstertag
A couple things that could make this "less bad" than it is:

>Regarding other players being witnesses. A witness can be a lot of things: did you see the girl in the dorms at any particular time? Did you see the girl accompanied by any dorm residents or other people? Verifying times of involved people coming/going. You can be a witness and have no knowledge of any crime. So while it's worrisome, there are reasonable excuses.

>The only (barely) excuse for the assault brings to mind the actor Rob Lowe back in the '80s. He was allegedly in a club, met a girl there, and took her home. It was later learned that she was underage and he was accused of statutory rape. I don't recall how that case wound up, and I still don't think it fully absolves anybody, but if somebody has falsified their identity and has passed themselves off to be a certain age, and it's reasonable to expect that that someone is the age they claim, then it's certainly a mitigating factor.

Again, not making excuses here, the facts that we have, there's still a very wide range of what could possibly have happened that range from "horrifying" to "bad with mitigating factors", and the role (if any) of anybody on the team is yet to be determined.

Hoping for the best for all involved.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

More
7 years 3 months ago #10727 by Freestate69
I think the key here is that the 5 were identified as "potential" witnesses, which could mean as little as "what or who did you see in the building around that time?" None of the 5 at this time has been identified as an eyewitness to the crime.

I'm hopeful that is the case.

"Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of the earth." - Gandalf on passing through Columbia, MO
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63