Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Dreading Kentucky

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 3 months ago #10666 by konza63
The West Virginia loss was unpleasant to watch in its own right. But it's doubly unpleasant when you realize that it came days before the UK game, giving the Squid and his players plenty of film to watch on how to decimate KU. Bottom line: cut off the head (Mason) with pressure, double/triple-teams when he penetrates, and size (blocking, deflecting, and disrupting his shots and passes once he gets in the lane). That and exploit KU's often-horrific first-line and help defense for the easy open man squatting untouched within 5-8 feet of the basket.

The UK game means nothing in the Big 12 race, obviously, but it means a TON to the program, its pride, and the recruiting wars. And I fear -- after watching UK's exceptional length, speed and athleticism propel them to a 103-100 track meet win over UNC earlier in the year -- that we could be in for an embarrassing outcome. Unless we tighten up the defense in a monumental way over the next few days.

Self certainly has lots of film to chew their rears out and compel them to get better fast. Will it work? We'll find out Saturday night.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 3 months ago #10667 by Riverhawk
Hi Konza...it's disheartening to see this team continue to play such poor defense. They made Ahmad look like an All-American just like they did with the K-State and Okie State guys.
This is a flawed team...only one good big, poor free throw shooting, no depth, but the worst thing going into this very tough part of the schedule is they don't/can't guard. If they can't get a stop when they have to have one, they've got some tough sledding ahead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

More
7 years 3 months ago #10668 by Bayhawk
Agreed River, but I'm lighting a candle that this is the slap in the face our mighty 'hawks need to: Get your mind right.

Otherwise, spend a day in the box. :ohmy:

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
7 years 3 months ago #10680 by hairyhawk
and HCBS tells the guys "what we have here is a failure to communicate" We Miss Coach Dooley to where the mirrored shades. Actually I am sure HCBS brutalizes them with sarcasm and other methods to get good results.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

More
7 years 3 months ago #10686 by porthawk
Konza, I pretty much agree with everything you say. As for stopping Mason, this is the first time that a team has used that strategy to stop him. I'm hoping that HCBS will have a plan to counter that type of defense on him.

I will say that I'm not sure how to cure the first-line and help defense. Outside of increased concentration and lateral quickness, don't know what the remedy would be. Sure wish there was a magic bullet.

More
7 years 3 months ago #10691 by LSHawk
For a few minutes in the 2nd half of the WV game, we used a zone defense and it stopped the drives to the basket. Would we do more of this?

More
7 years 3 months ago #10695 by NotOstertag
Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if Kentucky is "dreading KU" right now too. They just got upset by an UNRANKED Tennessee team. HCBS has some game tape available to him too. So NEITHER team is wanting to rack up a 2nd consecutive loss in this game, and I'm sure both coaches are barking loudly and both sets of players are doing similar soul searching.

Both programs took a hit to their pride, both had flaws exposed, and both are looking to bounce back. Both also realize that this game has nothing to do with their conference races, but has a lot to do with national reputation and eventual NCAA tourney seeding.

I'm on the fence about how I feel. I'm excited at the opportunity, nervous about losing a 2nd game, but equally unconcerned because the next game that really matters is against the team we're tied for 1st place with in the conference.

I'm going to sit back, crack a beer, and watch with a little bit of detachment.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk