Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

How many turnovers tonight

Poll: How Many Turnovers tonight?

0-12 Below Our Season Average!
No votes 0%
13-18 Above Average, but well below WVU's average.
5 50%
19-22 Below WVU's average, but nothing to crow about.
5 50%
23+ Yuck.
No votes 0%
Total number of voters: 10
Only registered users can participate to this poll
  • NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 3 months ago #10639 by NotOstertag
KU is averaging 13 turnovers a game. WVU is averaging 23 forced turnovers per game. Obviously, how well we take care of the ball tonight will be an important factor in the outcome.

Sooooooo....how do you think we'll do? Step right up and take a guess.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 3 months ago #10640 by newtonhawk
We have some great ball handlers, but with the pace of play, our lack of depth could be a huge factor, even in the backcourt. An effective press wears you down physically, as well as mentally and emotionally. WV can throw a bunch of guys at us. I would be glad to stay under 23 TO's and think that we would still have a chance to come out with a win. As many have already stated, officiating will play a huge part, in my opinion. Josh is going to have to take care of the ball more efficiently, as well. I am hoping that the ISU game was a good prep for a hostile, high pressure atmosphere.

More
7 years 3 months ago #10641 by OreadExpress
Always a difficult place to play. Three losses in a row there...time to break that streak. If all else fails, I would look to those who have already taken their lumps there to make it a matter of pride to refuse to come up short again.

The closer KU keeps the turnover number to their season average, the better their chances are. I feel good about their chances if they can keep TOs under 20. The key to that is limiting opportunities for an effective press situation- strong defense and rebounding WVU misses minimizes their opportunities to set up. The guys need to keep their heads, make crisp passes, and smart, aggressive plays. Complacency and tentative play will only serve to feed the beast.

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #10642 by konza63
I said 19-22, just because we've had copious amounts of TOs the last two games and that wasn't against anything like what WVU will bring tonight.

To augment what OrientExpress said, I think Coach nailed it yesterday when he said we're going to get turned over, but the key is to make more TOs that don't result in breakouts and transition advantages for WVU. In other words, we need to commit more TOs that are of the "thrown out of bounds" and "down low, within our half-court offense" type than out in open court.

Of course, we don't want ANY turnovers, but the key is to minimize the total number, to minimize the easy transition bucket TOs, and to do everything else we need to do (move the ball, find the open man, hit shots, make free throws, and disrupt WVA on defense) to offset what TOs do occur.

This is one of those odd games that could go any number of ways: a close KU win, a blowout KU win, a close WVU win, or a blowout WVU win. Let's just hope it's one of the first two. We're due for a win in Morgantown, and this is Frank's final time there. I single him out because he's our warrior-leader, he probably wants this beyond badly, his family will likely be in from VA, and he knows that this could be a nail in the WVU coffin that further separates KU from the field--with Baylor then becoming illuminated as the foremost threat.

Get 'er done, boys. Rock Chalk...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 7 years 3 months ago by konza63.

• Bayhawk
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 3 months ago #10645 by Bayhawk

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet