Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

13 straight or an NCAA title?

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 3 months ago #10540 by HawkErrant
Would you be okay with the streak ending if it meant KU would go on to win its 4th NCAA title?

If asked this question anytime before this year, I would have said give me the NC, hands down.

Now that KU is so close to 13 straight conference titles, if I could only have one and not the other, I want the streak more, at least for this year. And should KU pull it off this year, I'll want #14, too! Self & KU would be sharing the stage with Wooden/Bartow/Cunningham & UCLA, and then hopefully eventually pass the Bruins.

After that, heck yeah, give me another NC over 15 straight conference titles any day!

Preferably back to back, so we can catch and then pass UConn (4 NCAA titles) to join Indiana, Duke and the tarred ones in a tie for 3rd with 5 NCAA titles won.

Okay, okay, okay -- I would take the NC as soon as next year if really pressed, but not this year if it meant losing the streak... I think.

Of course, an NC this year would be a great balm to the soul should calamity happen in conference.

Just sayin'...
:woohoo: :whistle: :dry: :P B)

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: newtonhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 3 months ago #10541 by Governors
Why not be greedy? BOTH!!!

More
7 years 3 months ago #10542 by AZhawk87
I really enjoy the conference title competition, because it makes every game, every week, meaningful. It also has built very strong rivalries with Baylor, WVU and others trying so hard to dethrone KU.

But ultimately, most people across the country don't care about our streak. Coaches and media folk talk about it and respect it, but I doubt Kentucky, Carolina or Duke fans even know how many years our streak is, nor do they care at all. Do you care whether Duke or Carolina wins the ACC? Or whether UCLA wins the Pac 10? Nope. When the streak ends, it will be forgotten very quickly. NC's live on forever.

Also, I think KU is so intent on winning the conference that player development is sacrificed. If Lucas gets hurt near the end of the season, will Colby or Lightfoot be ready to step in? No way. A seven man rotation to begin conference play? Shouldn't it still be time to bring young players along, rather than sit forever on the bench knowing your season is essentially over? Diallo anyone? It's really my only real beef with Self, which is a pretty small issue in the scheme of things.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, gorillahawk

More
7 years 3 months ago #10543 by NotOstertag
The streak wouldn't have mattered much to me half a dozen conference championships ago, but now it's 100% about the streak.

When you realize that in most of our lifetimes, maybe not ever, will this feat be repeated, the streak wins hands down. If we don't succeed, it'll take AT MINIMUM another 13 years to get here. Meanwhile, our program is in the hunt for a NC every year.

Yes, the casual fan will look at total NC's and rate the blueblood programs accordingly. I honestly don't care about the casual fan. People who really follow the sport know that the team who wins the NC isn't always the "best team in the country" and that bad luck dooms many of the contenders early in the one-and-done tournament.

I've said it before: we're witnessing something truly historic happening. To have a program where conference championships outnumber home losses, and where the "impossible" UCLA streak is actually in danger is beyond fathomable.

Of course, if "both" is an option I'd take that too. But if I have to choose one, we've come too far on this journey to say it isn't enormously significant.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, gorillahawk