Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

OU beats WVU!

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 3 months ago #10532 by konza63
Woodard wins it in OT.

YES!!!

Rock Chalk...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 3 months ago #10533 by porthawk
Yup! Huge loss for the WVU...in general, but specifically as far as the conference race goes!

More
7 years 3 months ago #10534 by DocBlues
And in Morrgantown!!!

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 3 months ago #10538 by HawkErrant
Per CBSports.com the WVU non-con SOS was 253. Now that conference play is here, their weak non-con schedule may just be coming back to bite them. OU has shown they can be beaten in Morgantown, now KU has to go in and follow suit next Tuesday!

Thanks, Sooners!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
7 years 3 months ago #10545 by NotOstertag
This is absolutely huge. Think of it this way: KU could lose to WVU twice and WVU would only improve to a tie with KU.

We all know the drill: win at home, win half your road games. Losing at home is a bad thing in this equation. Losing at home to a team that's not one of the primary contenders for the title is a cardinal sin of the highest order....a total unforced error. The road just got a whole lot steeper for WVU.

The other thing that this game does (positive for us, negative for WVU) is provides a pretty clear blueprint of how to beat them. OU had significantly fewer turnovers vs. the WVU press than most other teams. Sounds obvious, but that clearly made a huge difference, and now coaches can watch the games and see HOW the press was broken. In the end of regular time, and even at the end of OT, it seemed like if OU could get the ball in the hands of their speedy little PG, if he just went full out downcourt, WVU couldn't stop them. So in those cases, at least, it was less about passing to get through the press, but more of a blunt, head-on attack by a quick guard.

We're infested with quick guards, so if that strategy is effective, I like our chances. WVU really shot themselves in the foot last night.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 3 months ago #10561 by konza63
Yes, yes, yes on all counts, NotO! :-)

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
7 years 3 months ago #10570 by Freestate69
When I watched the game, I didn't see the defensive intensity from WV that they normally show. I don't know if OU was doing a superlative job of getting through the pressure or if WV wasn't working that hard.
WV also does not score easily in the half-court. If the press isn't producing fast breaks for them, points don't seem to come easily.

"Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of the earth." - Gandalf on passing through Columbia, MO

More
7 years 3 months ago #10571 by NotOstertag
I came in late, but it seemed to me that by the latter portions of the game, the wind was taken out of WVU's defensive sails. The usual reason would be that your press is getting beaten, leading to easy scores, which knocks down the intensity of the press.

Lesson to other teams: if you can make WVU's press ineffective, it'll go away eventually.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 3 months ago #10573 by HawkErrant
Did it appear to be not the same intensity because they actually weren't as intense, or because they were not getting their usual results? All I really noted was the latter, but I would not consider myself expert enough to categorically state that was the case.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"