Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

obvious bias?

• murphyslaw
  • murphyslaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 3 months ago #10487 by murphyslaw
Seemed so to me as I suffered through Holly Rowe, whom I usually respect, and the commentators giving so much love and attention to the Iowa State team and fans. I got sick of the Morris name.

After trying to withstand the nasality of Brian Hanni and failing, I finally muted the sound and just watched the action.

Maybe I was just cranky.

I loved the game even though my heart barely survived the final 9 minutes!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #10491 by konza63
I didn't think they were "too" bad, given that it was at Ames.

Fran is a known cheerleader for whomever is playing KU. He wants the underdog to take down the King, but occasionally throws out the praise for us as well. One thing that really burned me with him was at the beginning of the season, when he said that the announcers in the ESPN studio could suit up and win every game at Allen. As if it's simply the building (or his implying the home cooking) and nothing about KU's effort, players, and coaching.

The play-by-play guy actually praised KU for its uncanny resiliency later in the game, pointing to how we've withstood blows all season and always answered the bell.

Overall, they didn't stick in my craw quite like they sometimes do.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 7 years 3 months ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 3 months ago #10496 by Wheatstate Gal
Sister Murphy--

Cranky is allowed. Goodness knows, I'm the Queen of Cranky!

Not a fan of Fran. But Thank YOU, Deity of Choice, we haven't had to suffer through that total fool "Mushburger".

Have not yet had the opportunity to hear the new voice of the Jayhawks. Although I do recall having a difficult time many, many years ago when Max went to color from voice.

BTW....for you locals....I presume the post-game "McElroy Scoreboard" is long gone. I think that was a football thing and I have no idea what station I listened to in those days.....perhaps WREN out of Topeka?

Mem-ries light the corners of my mind......

• murphyslaw
  • murphyslaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 3 months ago #10507 by murphyslaw
Thanks for understanding, Sister Wheaty!

As to Brian Hanni, these things bother me about him:

1. His voice has no "edge" to it which would distinguish it from most anyone else's. If Gurley weren't his sidekick, I wouldn't know who was speaking at the time.

2. His voice has a nasal characteristic that is very distracting. I thought he had a cold the first couple of times I heard him, but it appears to be a permanent problem, maybe from a broken nose, that makes him say "Bason" and "teab." (Guess that IS distinguishing.)

3. He continuously says "corter" instead of quarter and uses phrases similar to "continue on."

I'm sure he's a very nice young man who represents KU well; I just wish Zenger would have listened more carefully to him during his auditions. Could it be he was the best of those who applied? Could it be that it isn't fair for me to compare him to Bob?

More
7 years 3 months ago #10514 by newtonhawk
I am interested in your views about Brian on the Jayhawk Network. I too, have had a difficult time listening to him. At the beginning, it was almost as if he was "droning on and on" and it was hard to get excited about what was happening in the game.

Here's my take. Brian, probably due to his training, has a very mellow, sing-song, connected approach in his radio work. Honestly, it reminds me of some of the announcers on easy listening stations in the past (does that date me, or what?).

I have seen him on Hawk Talk with Coach self, and he seems like a really nice guy who does his homework, handles himself well, and loves the Jayhawks.

To me, what makes a good play-by-play guy on radio is one who is not so much smooth, but is willing to put himself "out there" for the team. Bob Davis was excellent in his reactions to good plays, as well as the bad ones, giving to us his emotions. He responded much like many of us would respond, even if he was not smooth in his approach and demeanor, and we could identify with what he saw.

I will say that either I am getting used to Brian's manner, or else he is improving. Here's to hoping that Brian will loosen up as he matures behind the mic for Jayhawk Nation and reflect what he is truly feeling, rather than just giving the play-by-play.