Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Anyone else notice JJ?

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 3 months ago #10329 by HawkErrant
He was 75% (6-8 ) from the line tonight!
And even his misses looked pretty good.
Hopefully he has figured out FT shooting and he can can at least 75% the rest of the way.
http://boglio.tumblr.com/post/85039164128/french-cancan

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: bmchawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #10331 by DrJHawker
Yes, and the team overall was exceptional at 83%. 75% for JJ would be terrific! Josh needs to be able to take the open 3 but I've started to cringe a bit when he takes them on key possessions. He didn't make one tonight and is under 30% for the year. If he could raise his free throw shooting to over 70% and his shots from 3 to over 40%, he would be the whole package.
Last Edit: 7 years 3 months ago by DrJHawker.

More
7 years 3 months ago #10332 by Bayhawk

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, newtonhawk

More
7 years 3 months ago #10333 by NotOstertag
Heck, I even saw him talking to a ref after he got called for a foul without getting T-ed up for it! :)

Yes, it seems like he's starting to dial it in from the FT line. Nevertheless, it still doesn't seem "natural" for him. I suppose you can get away with sketchy form from 15 feet with nobody guarding you, but he's still far from "pure" and if I were an opposing coach, I still wouldn't fear putting him on the line.

So here's the conundrum: you're an opposing coach, and you need to foul somebody to stop the clock. On the floor are Frank, Devonte, Svi, Josh, and Landen. Landen won't be bringing the ball up, so he's not really an option for a quick foul. Frank and Devonte are both shooting north of .700 on the year (.747 and .786 respectively) and are pretty much automatic. Josh is .566 and Svi is .588 from the line.

In that case, I'm hoping that either Frank OR Devonte are inbounding the ball, and I'll double the other of other of the two of them to try and prevent either from getting to the line. If you're going to leave one of them relatively open to receive the inbounds pass, I'm still going to pick Jackson at this point. While Svi isn't shooting a high percentage from the line this year, he's only attempted 17 FTs in 16 games. Josh has attempted 76. So Josh's numbers are more stable, whereas just looking at Svi shoot it seems like he's going to make his shots.

As for 3's, I don't like seeing Josh hoist 'em up either in key situations. Here's a cringeworthy factoid: only one guy on the team who has attempted a 3 is shooting a lower percentage than Josh from beyond the arc. Josh is at .257, and everybody's favorite Tyler Self is at .250. I'd kind of like Tyler to make one more which would take him up to 2 for 4 and a solid 40% (and then don't take any more, Tyler!). Josh's 9 for 35 rate is pretty bad and tells me that in key situations there's a better option to get a score than him hoisting it up from deep.

BTW, that Frank Mason put on a clinic last night. Couldn't miss for a while. The Sooners must have felt like the world's biggest pincushion after all of those daggers got stuck in 'em.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 3 months ago #10339 by HawkErrant
Hopefully the guys are past the doldrums it displays. Little room for error in conference play and beyond.

"Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy!"

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"