Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

"T"for Josh.....

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Wheatstate Gal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 3 months ago #10196 by Wheatstate Gal
And Josh for "T".

OK. 'Splain it to me, Lucy

What is the deal w our young man and the "t's"?

Is he a jerk? In the ref crosshairs? Immature? Idiot? Wrong place at the wrong time in every freaking game?

Loving me some Landen. Would like to see about 4 monster SLAMS every game ... a la Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh.....announce your presence with authority, young man!

Recorded game...normally add 90 minutes to the timer....doh, forgot and missed end.

And I LOVE the sound of Squeaky whining in the morning...... ;-)

Rock Chalk, My Friends!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 3 months ago #10197 by Bayhawk
I'm still not clear on what he did . . . :huh:

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
7 years 3 months ago #10198 by sasnak
He was jawing at someone because he thought he was fouled and the ref heard him.

It'll feel better when it stops hurting
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, Wheatstate Gal

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 3 months ago #10199 by konza63
From today's LJW:

Jackson technical

For the second game in a row and third time this season, KU freshman Josh Jackson was hit with a technical foul for protesting an official’s call.

Asked after the game what he did to earn the 'T,' Jackson spelled it out.

“I don’t really know,” he said. “All I said was, ‘That’s a foul,’ and next thing I know I was hit with a technical.”

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
7 years 3 months ago #10205 by CorpusJayhawk
My take is that Coach Self all but said that these were bogus techs. So somewhere between the lines I am surmising a more subversive issue at work. Self rarely (and I mean rarely) has ever said anything like that about officiating. So for Self to say that leads me to believe that there is something else at work. But Self also rightly says that the burden is on Josh to shut the heck up and not put himself in that situation even if it is unfair and uneven. I have to say as a casual observer that the last two techs did not appear to rise to the level of tech. I kind of feel for the kid if this is true. But on the other hand, welcome to the world of celebrity where you are a huge target for all. Better grow a pair along with some thick skin and learn to deal with it. .

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Wheatstate Gal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 3 months ago #10207 by Wheatstate Gal
Cosmo says Hey and Happy New Year to Bosco!

More
7 years 3 months ago #10209 by sasnak
Bosco says "hi" back and has NOT been helpful in the last two games lol

It'll feel better when it stops hurting

More
7 years 3 months ago #10212 by NotOstertag
I think the refs are gunning for him a little. His 2nd technical (ball slam) was pretty borderline as it appeared he realized halfway to slamming the ball that he'd better not, and he dialed it back. Regardless, they called it on him and that's life.

At that point, he's a hotshot superstar freshman, but with 2 T's on the season, some refs MIGHT be predisposed to "teaching the young pup that you're still just a freshman". Last night, it looked like he said something to the ref. He says it was "that's a foul?". You don't have to be a great actor to come up with about a dozen ways to say that in ways that can range from completely appropriate to downright offensive. I think the refs MIGHT have been a little touchy on that one, but I also think it's possible to say that in a way that tries to undermine the refs. Regardless, he's now clearly in the crosshairs.

On a semi-related note, Frank Mason got called for a foul, and as the KSU guy was shooting his FTs, you could see Frank talking to the ref and physically demonstrating ON THE REF what he was doing when the ref called him for the foul. The ref, to his credit, was likewise in physical contact with Frank demonstrating his point and teaching Frank about the call. So on one hand, you've got an upstart freshman who said something and gets T-ed up, and then you've got the cagey veteran calmly having a wrestling match with the ref and everybody's cool with it.

Not knocking Frank or the ref for that. Just pointing out that HOW you approach the ref, and a certain amount of seniority-earned respect goes a long way.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk