Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

It should not have come to this . . .

• Bayhawk
  • Bayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 3 months ago #10178 by Bayhawk
But it was exciting!

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 3 months ago #10180 by NYCJayhawk
Agreed. KU played softer on defense then I ever want to see. But another huge game from Lucas makes me feel good that at least something is starting to come together with the big man.

More
7 years 3 months ago #10181 by LKF_HAWK
HCBS is going to be chewing some backside tonight. KSU has no business even being in the game, all credit to them, but what was KU doing in the 2nd half? This team better learn to play some D.

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #10182 by konza63
It definitely should not have. We played poor D in several spurts. They somehow had far better energy and swag in the 2nd half, despite us having them on the ropes at halftime. That can't happen.

Free throws almost (finally) did us in, as we've feared all year. And Josh followed up a superb first half with a really bad second, punctuated by multiple ill-advised shots very early in the shot clock when we needed to preserve the lead and burn clock.

Live and learn, but we are officially on notice: this is going to be a very tough grind of a race for #13. And I foresee at least four road losses (Baylor, WVU, KSU, ISU), with our usual swoon at OSU also in the cards. That means we must win them all at home...and I don't think that's a given this year.

All that said, pocket the win, address the problems, and get better!

Rock Chalk...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 7 years 3 months ago by konza63.

More
7 years 3 months ago #10184 by JhawkMom
Hated that kst had the chance to win at the end but the lucky stars were shining at KU tonight and didn't make us sit through overtime. Great great finish and wonderful that Svi's father was there to see it. How special was that. Great start to what will be a great 2017!!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

More
7 years 3 months ago #10187 by DrJHawker
Agreed but we were very fortunate to win tonight. Horrible lapses on defense, Josh is a star but needs to practice free throws and control his temper (that technical was a turning point where K-State was suddenly back in it and seemed to suddenly have momentum). The most encouraging aspect of the game to me was the continued good play from Landen Lucas. He is playing even better than last year. We badly need Carlton to improve his play but at times he shows flashes of being able to do it. Mainly just thankful to preserve a home win in a game that could have easily gone the other way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 3 months ago #10190 by konza63
Concur on all counts, DrJ...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrJHawker

More
7 years 3 months ago #10211 by NotOstertag
...and Jackson had better learn to listen to the coaches. ;)

Just reading today that Self told guys to switch on screens in KSU's last possession*. Everyone got the message, except Josh, and his man was the one left open to shoot a wide open 3 on the penultimate play of the game. If that shot goes in, we'd have been down 3 with just a few seconds left, and we'd have needed to score to force overtime.

Granted, it's the heat of battle, and no matter how talented Jackson is, there's a lot to absorb at this level. Nevertheless, his blown defensive play almost cost us dearly.

*Definition of "switching on screens" for those who aren't up on the lingo. When an offensive player sets a pick or a screen for another player (i.e. runs closely past one of his own players to use that player to "block" a defender from following him), the defense will either "switch" or "stay". If you "stay" that means you stick to the man you've been assigned to defend, and fight your way over/around screens. If you "switch" that means that the person being screened will "switch" his defensive assignment to the screener, with that of the screener's previous defender. In other words, if you can't get to your guy because you've been blocked out, in a "stay" defense you have to find a way past the opposition to stick with your man. If you "switch" assignments can be re-assigned on the fly.

Josh stuck with his man when he should have switched. The result was a KSU player with nobody but the ghost of Phog Allen defending the jumper.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot