Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

initial Big 12 projection

• asteroid
  • asteroid's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 4 months ago #10102 by asteroid
On Tuesday evening, Texas played (and lost) the last non-conference game
before conference play begins on Friday.  The Sagarin ratings that include
that game are now out, so we can do the initial projection for the Big 12
conference race.

West Virginia starts the conference campaign as the team to beat, at least
according to Sagarin Predictor.  The talking heads will still say that the
road to the conference title goes through Lawrence.  The Mountaineers have
played such a weak schedule that their Sagarin Predictor rating must have a
fairly large uncertainty to it.  We'll see how they do against Top 70 teams
twice a week.  The Big 12 is the #1 conference, with nobody ranked in the
triple digits, unlike previous seasons.  When a Shaka Smart team is ranked
at the bottom of the conference, that is saying something about the overall
strength of the conference.  It's going to be a grind.

Init.
Pred                  Proj.
Rank  Big XII Team    Wins 
----  --------------  -----
#  1  West Virginia   14.20 
#  7  Kansas          13.34 
# 13  Baylor          11.51 
# 18  Iowa State       9.97 
# 28  Oklahoma State   8.55 
# 31  Texas Tech       8.00 
# 33  TCU              7.42 
# 42  Kansas State     6.26 
# 52  Oklahoma         5.71 
# 67  Texas            5.04 

Round 1 features only a single game between upper division teams, and it
involves the two highest scoring teams in the conference.  It's got the
biggest projected margin of the bunch, thanks to West Virginia's stingy
defense and Oklahoma State's porous defense, and would normally qualify for
"ugly game of the round", but it has implications for the conference race,
if the Cowboys can defend their home court.

Predictions         
--------------------
                Saga
BU  over OU      5.3      projected road win
KU  over TCU     5.3      projected road win
ISU over TTU     6.4
KSU over UT      6.5
WVU over OSU     7.4      projected road win

The long-term average is one road win in every three conference games, and
that average has been maintained season after season.  There are three
projected road wins in Round 1.  The conference championship is won with
road wins.  Contenders tend to win at home.

Road wins (0 out of 0)                      Home losses                                     Differential (RW-HL)
-----------------------------------------   ---------------------------------------------   --------------------
0 Baylor                                    0 Baylor                                         0 Baylor        
0 Iowa State                                0 Iowa State                                     0 Iowa State    
0 Kansas                                    0 Kansas                                         0 Kansas        
0 Kansas State                              0 Kansas State                                   0 Kansas State  
0 Oklahoma                                  0 Oklahoma                                       0 Oklahoma      
0 Oklahoma State                            0 Oklahoma State                                 0 Oklahoma State
0 TCU                                       0 TCU                                            0 TCU           
0 Texas                                     0 Texas                                          0 Texas         
0 Texas Tech                                0 Texas Tech                                     0 Texas Tech    
0 West Virginia                             0 West Virginia                                  0 West Virginia 

In many cases, the trend and mental toughness statistics are not statistically
significant.  The uncertainties generally drop to the 0.2 level by the end of
the season.  Recall that mental toughness is a measure of how a team plays
relative to expectation versus the strength of an opponent.  You can get a
negative rating by beating up on cupcakes, or a positive rating by letting
your foot off the gas against cupcakes.  Because some conference members have
played such weak schedules, they haven't been tested against stronger opponents,
but if they can play above expectation against them, they can generate a positive
mental toughness rating.

Performance (points)     Inconsistency (points)    Trend (points per game)           Mental toughness
---------------------    ----------------------    ------------------------------    ------------------------------
West Virginia   +4.36    Kansas            6.71    Texas           +0.80 +/- 1.17    Kansas State    +0.36 +/- 0.27
TCU             +2.85    Kansas State      6.95    Oklahoma State  +0.77 +/- 1.54    Baylor          +0.32 +/- 0.20
Oklahoma State  +2.32    Baylor            7.24    TCU             +0.62 +/- 0.92    West Virginia   +0.09 +/- 0.35
Iowa State      +1.82    Texas Tech        8.39    Kansas          +0.49 +/- 0.57    Oklahoma State  +0.02 +/- 0.34
Baylor          +1.71    TCU               9.35    Baylor          +0.47 +/- 0.71    Oklahoma        -0.19 +/- 0.28
Texas Tech      +1.43    Oklahoma          9.94    Kansas State    +0.24 +/- 0.61    Texas           -0.21 +/- 0.45
Kansas          +1.06    Texas            13.68    Texas Tech      -0.07 +/- 0.74    Iowa State      -0.27 +/- 0.36
Kansas State    +0.89    West Virginia    13.73    West Virginia   -0.37 +/- 1.20    Kansas          -0.30 +/- 0.21
Oklahoma        -1.03    Oklahoma State   15.54    Oklahoma        -1.06 +/- 0.94    Texas Tech      -0.33 +/- 0.29
Texas           -1.81    Iowa State       16.08    Iowa State      -1.47 +/- 1.54    TCU             -0.37 +/- 0.31

Three Big 12 teams have played schedules that are ranked in the bottom thirteen.
Because they haven't really been tested yet, that makes their projections more
uncertain.  Oklahoma State has a potent offense, but doesn't play defense.
Texas is offensively challenged.  West Virginia looks strong on paper, but they
put up that second-ranked offense and second-ranked defense against a cupcake
schedule, save for the road game at Virginia, which they won.

Average offense (pts)   Average defense (pts)   Total Points             Scoring Margin (pts)     Schedule Strength
---------------------   ---------------------   ----------------------   ----------------------   --------------------------
Oklahoma State  92.27   Kansas State    59.50   Oklahoma State  169.36   West Virginia   +30.92   Kansas          74.33 ( 69)
West Virginia   90.50   West Virginia   59.58   Kansas          154.08   Texas Tech      +19.58   Baylor          73.87 ( 84)
Kansas          85.25   Baylor          60.64   Oklahoma        153.09   Iowa State      +18.36   Texas           73.28 (100)
Iowa State      83.55   Texas Tech      61.08   West Virginia   150.08   Kansas          +16.42   Oklahoma        73.13 (108)
Texas Tech      80.67   TCU             64.27   Iowa State      148.73   Kansas State    +15.92   Oklahoma State  72.66 (123)
Oklahoma        79.18   Iowa State      65.18   TCU             142.91   Oklahoma State  +15.18   TCU             70.78 (196)
TCU             78.64   Texas           66.75   Texas Tech      141.75   Baylor          +15.00   Iowa State      70.00 (231)
Baylor          75.64   Kansas          68.83   Baylor          136.27   TCU             +14.36   West Virginia   65.99 (339)
Kansas State    75.42   Oklahoma        73.91   Texas           135.75   Oklahoma         +5.27   Kansas State    65.95 (341)
Texas           69.00   Oklahoma State  77.09   Kansas State    134.92   Texas            +2.25   Texas Tech      64.23 (350)

P.S. To keep the columns aligned in tables, one needs to use the "code" attribute on the
text, but apparently the "code" attribute overrides the font size attribute, so I don't see any
easy way to prevent the lines from wrapping, other than to reduce the number of tables
placed side-by-side.  But tables like the Home-Road differential make the most sense
when placed side-by-side.  Maybe you can try copy and paste into some editor with a
monospaced font to see it without wrapping.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, hairyhawk, porthawk, Junkman, Illhawk, newtonhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.