Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Grayson Allen of Duke Trips Again

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 4 months ago #10014 by CorpusJayhawk
Grayson Allen has had more trips than Timothy Leary. I admit that I bought into this young man's apology. It was artful and well done. After his petulant display tonight I am ready to say he is beneath contempt. The tripping was very bad but his actions in the aftermath are unconscionable. If he were at KU I would say at least a 2 game suspension and a very short leash thereafter.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 4 months ago #10015 by Bayhawk
Saw the replay. Booooooooooo What a spoiled rotten cry-baby loser.

Talking heads repeat coach special K with the "He's a good kid . . ." mantra. You know, the kind of good kid who repeatedly tries to hurt other players. Cheater!

It's so easy to hate puke,

RCJHGKU!

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
7 years 4 months ago #10016 by porthawk

More
7 years 4 months ago #10020 by NotOstertag
It'll be interesting to see how K reacts. He's never seemed like a guy who would put a kid above the program, and I'd be shocked if he didn't do something. Then again, he let him back in the game in the 2nd half.

Bottom line, Allen is a punk who appears to have an enormous sense of entitlement. At some point, somebody is going to deck him which may literally knock some sense into him. Unless/until that happens, he needs to figure out a way to channel his competitiveness and aggression properly. I get it...the kid is a competitor and can't take defeat easily. But when a guy beats you off the dribble, and your response is a cheap shot trip/kick you need to come up with a better strategy.

It will also be interesting to see if the ACC does anything. He's gotta realize that at this point, he's got a MAJOR target painted on his back. If I'm playing against him, I'd be figuring out anything I could do to get him to lose his composure. Kind of like how Marcus Smart earned a reputation for flopping at OSU and it followed him around for the rest of his final season, Allen now has a solid reputation as a cheap shot artist, so opponents,refs, and even fans will be paying a lot more attention to it.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
7 years 4 months ago #10025 by NotOstertag
Coach K suspended him indefinitely. Not sure why he put him back in the game yesterday, but that's another story. Methinks the public outcry was enough to force him to act. I imagine that Allen will have to do some things internally at Duke to get back in the rotation.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
7 years 4 months ago #10036 by BadgerHawk
After seeing his crying locker room interview saying how he's going to try to get better, just like he tried to get better after last season... wow. That kid has some issues. Almost makes me feel sorry for him until I remember he's an entitled brat at Duke.

More
7 years 4 months ago #10045 by NotOstertag
Get better at tripping people? Well, I guess he's a perfectionist, eh? :)

More
7 years 4 months ago #10053 by LKF_HAWK
maturity and tripping don't usually go together. Not saying I am mature by any means, but we haven't seen these sorts of antics since moodor and Grimm/Sutherland. If I already had intense dislike for Puke, which I did, this just makes it even more intense. Coach Alphabet should have suspended Allen last year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wardhawk

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #10262 by porthawk
Not saying it was intentional by Allen, but right now his feet are under major scrutiny.
www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/sto...oston-college-player
Last Edit: 7 years 3 months ago by porthawk.

More
7 years 3 months ago #10265 by sasnak
I saw this and was just livid. First he gets to come back after a 1 game suspension for something that he has become quite adept at and then not a week goes by and it happens again? Since it was a no call ACC can't do anything. I think if he does it again and IS called, he needs to be gone because he obviously doesn't "get it". Does someone have to get hurt for something to be done?

It'll feel better when it stops hurting

More
7 years 3 months ago #10266 by AZhawk87
I entirely agree. Many tried to say this one was just him losing his balance. B.S.

I think he is a time bomb that has already sort of gone off. With Coach K out of action this kid may just lose it entirely.

To me, he is another Johnny Manziel, but just with a different demon - uncontrollable anger. It will catch up to him at some point.

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #10271 by Wheatstate Gal
I pay no attention to the pro game--although I may occasionally check in on wiggs, Joel, ben (I'm near Sacramento now and I "think" he's still here)--and I'll occasionally troll to see how my man T Rob is doing and where he is.....oops and Tarik.....

To the point, wheatie, to the point.......was Marcus smart able to carry his antics to the league? Is he still flopping. What about that big goofy guy at UNC that cole schooled in the 2008 semis--mom called him "the flopper." He take that flopping to the league?

Also wondering is this petulant child (gracey-boy) still on the POY list, wooden list (that starts out sooooooo long I may be on that list) AA list.

Wouldn't surprise me: let the excuses begin for his behavior but how Kzychjprtbmwi says he's a great player and great kid and is the TRUE blue devil persona!

Couldn't agree more. Did jay bilas grow up or did he really NEVER belong at duke? 98%of the time I REALLY like jay!
Last Edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Wheatstate Gal.

More
7 years 3 months ago #10288 by NotOstertag
Supposedly Coach K is going in for some kind of surgery and will miss a couple of weeks. Rather than make young Mr. Allen sit out indefinitely (oh wait...where did I hear that idea before?), K decided to bring him back rather than leave the decision to Jeff Capel who will be running the show in the interim.

So I guess K was SO concerned that he'd be out of his mind on pain killers that he wouldn't be able to call Capel on the phone...or maybe even not "squeeze my hand once if we can bring him back, or twice if we have to keep him on the bench."

Kind of silly. While I doubt Capel will be calling K's bedside during timeouts to ask what to run, I do imagine that they'll have plenty of in-person or phone chats to make it clear EXACTLY how K wants the show run while he's out. Sillyness.

More
7 years 3 months ago #10289 by NotOstertag
You know what I want to see? How's this (and I'm willing to contribute financially to make it happen): Call up Danny at Wake or some other coach in the ACC and get them to take one of their walk-ons and just flat out blatantly trip Grayson in the meaningless waning minutes of a game. While we're at it, why not go whole hog: get TWO walkons to do the whole "guy-on-all-fours behind Allen, guy in front pushes him backwards" gag?!? At this point, let's have some fun with it, put Allen on his butt at midcourt, and have 15,000 fans get a good laugh at his expense. Who else can pledge some financial support...maybe we need to start a kickstarter.

The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Wheatstate Gal

More
7 years 3 months ago #10291 by Bayhawk

NotOstertag wrote: You know what I want to see? How's this (and I'm willing to contribute financially to make it happen): Call up Danny at Wake or some other coach in the ACC and get them to take one of their walk-ons and just flat out blatantly trip Grayson in the meaningless waning minutes of a game. While we're at it, why not go whole hog: get TWO walkons to do the whole "guy-on-all-fours behind Allen, guy in front pushes him backwards" gag?!? At this point, let's have some fun with it, put Allen on his butt at midcourt, and have 15,000 fans get a good laugh at his expense. Who else can pledge some financial support...maybe we need to start a kickstarter.

YOU'RE KILLIN' ME!!!!!! :P

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 3 months ago #10292 by Wheatstate Gal
NotO---

I thought you was goin' all "John Cheney" on us there for a minute.......
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
7 years 3 months ago #10294 by murphyslaw
The explanation given of what really happened makes perfect sense to me. Haven't we all tried to maintain our balance by kicking someone behind us in a painful place? I know I have. In fact, I try not to lose my balance unless someone is near me--preferably a person I don't like all that much.

Just hang in there, Grayson. With any luck, the next time there is danger of your falling, there just might be a referee behind you.

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 3 months ago #10309 by Wheatstate Gal
Murphy--

This made me laugh out loud....

I'd really hurt myself if I tried to contort myself around to maintain my balance by kicking someone behind me. Like you, that always goes thru my mind when I'm falling......oops, I'm gonna fall. Hmmmmm, anyone nearby that I can kick/trip to help maintain MY balance.......

More
7 years 3 months ago #10312 by murphyslaw
And your reply made ME laugh out loud! Maybe we're running on the same wavelength?

I always enjoy your posts, Wheatie!

More
7 years 3 months ago #10334 by NotOstertag
He's fully under the microscope now. Last night he tried to save a loose ball and dove into the opposing team's bench. Now people are claiming that he "shoved" one of the coaches on the other team as he flew out of bounds. The slo-mo footage looks to me like it could go either way, and isn't really all that definitive. Nevertheless, nobody would be scrutinizing it if he hadn't so thoroughly tarnished his reputation so far.