Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

When did playing in the Sprint Center become a home game?

• DrJHawker
  • DrJHawker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 4 months ago #9960 by DrJHawker
ESPN is including the wins in the Sprint Center as part of our home wining streak. The Sprint is much like a home game for the Hawks but it's not the same as playing in the Fog. I consider Fog home.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 4 months ago #9961 by denster
And it has never been necessarily an easy game.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 4 months ago #9962 by HawkErrant
The Sprint Center, while definitely a favorable environment for KUMBB, is not AFH.

Under Self, KU in:

AFH: 95.9% (213-9)
SC: 85.0% (34-6)

A difference of more than 10% points is both practically and statistically significant.

The difference only emphasizes what should be common sense to the NCAA and ESPN: Sprint Center games should *not* be included in KU's "home court" winning streak. They are not the same place.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrJHawker

More
7 years 4 months ago #9981 by NotOstertag
Yeah...not a fan of this. Going back in time, do previous Sprint Center games count as "home" games? What about Kemper?

Home should be your actual official "home court" as far as records are concerned, so unless KU made the decision to recognize KC as it's "alternate home" court, then I'm not buying into this logic. Also, would this count as "home" if we played another team with KC-based fans (i.e. KSU or MU)?

Final thought: we'd have likely had a full 16,300 if the game Saturday would have been at AFH. In KC, we had a LOT of empty seats.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant