Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Meteor Game Alert - Kentucky vs. UNC

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 4 months ago #9938 by NotOstertag
Tomorrow at 5:45pm ET, the Squid vs. Ol' Roy in Vegas. A true meteor game*.

Since I can't root FOR either team, and since the game is on a neutral court, eliminating the "crying cheerleader option"**, I'm not sure who I want to root AGAINST harder.

Thinking I want Kentucky to lose because the SEC is fairly weak this year and they'll likely have an easier road in conference season, so any loss is a good loss at this point. Plus, if Duke beats UNC in future meteor games, we can apply the transitive property of basketball geometry to prove that "Duke beats UNC, therefore Duke is better than UNC. KU beat Duke, so therefore KU is better than Duke and UNC, and if UNC beats UK, KU is better than Duke, UNC and UK."

Still hoping for the meteor.

(Definition of terms below for those who may not be familiar):

*Meteor game: A game where you want BOTH teams to lose, which isn't possible, leaving the only favorable outcome being a meteor flying in from space, hitting the stadium, and vaporizing both teams.

**Crying Cheerleader Option: In a meteor game, where neither team's winning is a favorable outcome, some enjoyment can at least be had if the home team loses. The result is a demoralized stadium full of home-town fans, and...if you're REALLY, REALLY lucky...a sighting of the elusive "crying cheerleader": a home team cheerleader who is SO saddened by her (his***) team's home loss that uncontrolled sobbing and tears are caught by the TV cameras.

***Crying Male Cheerleader Option: If you see this, go buy a lottery ticket as it is truly your lucky day. Sightings of the crying male cheerleader are so rare that you're actually statistically more likely to get struck by lightning, while purchasing a winning lottery ticket, just as a meteor hits you.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Wheatstate Gal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 4 months ago #9940 by HawkErrant
For me, there is a simple answer for this game this year, and for the next few years. A UNC win prevents another Kenyucky win, and provides KU another chance to gain ground in the all time wins race.

Man, would I love for KU to run the table from here on!

(Yeah, yeah, I know, not likely... but we can still dream, eh? Or as a young Tom Cruise character once (in)famously said with a big smile on his face, "What the heck!")

(Okay, okay, that's not an *exact* quote, but this is a family friendly forum and besides, you get my meaning.) B)

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #9941 by Bayhawk
I HATE kensucky more, but it's interesting that both programs have roots in Lawrence . . . B)

DEATH TO KENSUCKY!!!! :evil:

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
Last Edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Bayhawk.

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 4 months ago #9943 by HawkErrant
Correct, Bay, both indeed have KU roots with Allen protégés Rupp and Smith being their respective greatest coaches. And I always like to point out that the 2000 Wins Club only has 4 member programs, and KU and those two make up the first three programs to matriculate!

Yes, indeed, Lawrence, KS, the Mecca of college basketball. Just think -- how crazed would it have been if Doc Allen could have convinced John Wooden to come coach at KU instead of heading out west to UCLA?

Oh, my! B)

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #9952 by gorillahawk
NotO: your **Crying Cheerleader Option reminds me of a classic example game way beck in the early 70's when Arkansas was at home playing, I think,Texas in what was in effect the national championship football game...After Arkansas lost, and Pres. Nixon flew off the field in a helicopter in the rain, the tv camera cut to a couple of soaking wet crying blondes wearing Razorback Sooey hats, their mascara running down their cheeks...with Curt Gowdy commenting over the closing credits: "Boy, there's a couple of sorry looking Hogs!"
Last Edit: 7 years 4 months ago by gorillahawk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag

More
7 years 4 months ago #9953 by Bayhawk
RC. :P

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

• HawkErrant
More
7 years 4 months ago #9966 by HawkErrant
Texas - Arkansas game you refer to was actually 1969. I was a big Horns fan back then (having lived in TX for several years before Dad retired from the USAF), and that was my first big CFB game. QB James Street, FB Steve Wooster and WR Cotton Spreyer were my first CFB heroes.

The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk