Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Frontcourt a problem?

• jayhawk969
  • jayhawk969's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
7 years 5 months ago #9596 by jayhawk969
Worried about KU’s frontcourt scoring? Maybe you don’t need to

Read more here:

www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12...rticle117883478.html

Teaser "Still, this team — with its four guards that can all drive, pass and shoot on the floor together — presents a completely different headache for opposing coaches."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 5 months ago #9598 by DocHawk
So we're officially a four guard lineup, at least most or the time. The good news is we have five high quality guards who can run, drive, pass, shoot threes, rebound and even play defense (when they want to). The bad news is the one big man is, at least right now, mediocre, and we don't have that board beast and rim protector we need. Also, when you play four out of five guards, you're only one injury away from four guards playing 40 minutes or going back to to 3/2 lineup which you may not have practiced very much. Also, how do you defend two quality bigs with a four guard lineup? There must be a reason HCBS has always preferred a 3/2 lineup and I'm afraid it will take until conference play to find out what it is. In the meantime, it sure is fun to watch. What do you basketball experts think?

More
7 years 4 months ago #9603 by hairyhawk
The "big" x-factor in this is Bragg. He is not a traditional big for a 4 out 1 in lineup. He is more a high post big. When he comes around and feels comfortable we will see a better blend of the 4 guard and the traditional 3 - 2. I hope it is sooner rather than later that he gets comfortable.

More
7 years 4 months ago #9605 by Illhawk
LL is more a classic 5 man, back to the basket, player on offense, though not exactly a "rim protector on D." As he gets healthy a lot more will become clear.

In some ways it seems our offense is starting to resemble the often castigated " dribble drive?"

More
7 years 4 months ago #9607 by minerscoach
I know a lot of people do not like the dribble drive offense, but it is a very difficult offense to guard if there are 4 players on the court that can drive as well as shoot the perimeter shot. It puts so much pressure on the defense to be able to help and recover. With the players we can put on the floor, the dribble drive is a perfect system to run. Also, Kansas puts a lot of wrinkles in it by setting a lot of ball screens and fade screens.

The set where they isolate Josh on the wing for a baseline drive for a score or a kick baseline to Svi off of a fade screen is a play that is almost impossible to defend. I like the action that KU is running. The Hi-Low is difficult to defend as well, if you have two bigs to execute it, which right now, Kansas does not on a consistent basis.

Another thing I think people forget about our 4 guard lineup. It is big with Svi and Jackson out there. Both of them can guard most 4's other teams put on the floor. There will be some match-ups we have to go big to defend, but we can guard most teams with our 4 guard line-up. And don't forget about our use of the 23 zone vs. Georgia. This is another tactic Self seems to have added to the toolbox to keep a 4 guard lineup on the floor.

I really like the way Self has been willing to tinker with his system this year. I think this willingness to adapt will carry this team far come tournament time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, Bayhawk