Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

How Special is Frank

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 5 months ago #9563 by CorpusJayhawk
Frank Mason currently sits 33rd all time in points scored (tied with Steve Woodberry). That puts him ahead of guys like Pollard, Dreiling, Vaughn, Selden, Miles, Newton, Aldrich, and many other very notable Jayhawks. If he averages 15 points per game in 32 more games he will score 1720 points good for 12th all-time just ahead of guys like Pritchard, Randall, Simien, Taylor, Boschee, Gooden, Rush and this guy named Chamberlain. If by some chance he averages 20 points per game for 34 more games, he will score 1900 points, good for 4th all-time. He is already 15th all-time in assists with 414. Assuming he can average 4 per game for 32 more games he will finish with 542 good for 9th all-time. 6 per game for 34 games puts him 5th all-time. One of the shortest players to play for KU he is currently 79th in rebounding but 15th for a guard. And that includes shooting guards like Paul Pierce, Keith Langford, Steve WOodberry, Tony Guy, and Carl Henry. All of these guys have 6 to 8 inches on Frank. But if Frank averages 4 rebounds for 32 games he will finish with an even 500 rebounds good for 4th among KU guards beating all guards but Pierce, Langford and Hinrich. That is amazing. This guy has been an amazing player for KU and he is off to his best start ever. What a joy we have to watch this guy for 30+ more games.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, jayhawk969, murphyslaw, KMT, newtonhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 5 months ago #9564 by murphyslaw
Wonderful information! We've had terrific point guards over the years, but until Frank came on the scene, my favorite was Vaughn.

He will be sorely missed, yet I know we all hope he'll continue his basketball career far into the future, if that's his wish.

I'll treasure every moment of his playing for the rest of the season.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

More
7 years 5 months ago #9567 by Hawknmo
Woodberry. Now that name brings a smile!!

Frank has truly been amazing. Lets all get your rabbits feet, 4 leaf clovers and anything else you can think of out to make sure the fella stays healthy. His minutes are redonkulous. I hope hes got some left in the tank in March. Great stats as always Corpus!!

RKCKJHK!!!

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 5 months ago #9571 by konza63
He is clearly, unabashedly, the engine that makes this team go...and our most indispensable player.

He is steady as a rock, game-in, game-out, and I love his bulldog toughness. He is also the most acrobatic, deft-handed finisher at the rim that I've ever seen relative to his small size and how hard (and often) he gets hit.

Bottom line: he's the man. And then some.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
7 years 5 months ago #9594 by MountainHawk
Thank you for laying that out. Sometimes you don’t realize how consistently productive a player has been until viewed in historical perspective. His all-time numbers also speak to his durability. I don’t recall (much) missed time due to injury. A bit surprising since he doesn’t back down from contact. Hopefully that continues.

More
7 years 5 months ago #9601 by hairyhawk
I think your point about not realizing how consistently good someone has been during there playing time is very true. I think that was true of Perry and I know it is true for Frank. Thanks Corpus for pointing this out so I can appreciate it before he is no longer a Jayhawk.

More
7 years 4 months ago #9608 by minerscoach
He truly is a great college basketball player. The way he finishes around the basket is a thing of beauty. 4 more months to truly enjoy his talents in a KU uniform.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63