Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

More on the mystery that is Landen Lucas

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #9489 by konza63
www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12...rticle117178783.html

If it's an injury, it stinks but makes some sense. However, there is ZERO excuse for any player to get so frustrated (and distracted) by a miss or bad play on the offensive end that he fails to get back on defense, resulting in an opponent score and a 4-point swing. I saw this happen in the Friday game and it infuriated me. Imagine what it does to Self!

The article mentions two other recent instances as well, when he was upset about alleged no-calls. He is a SENIOR. Those are green freshman mental mistakes.

Cannot happen.

Get it together, Lucas. Soon.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 7 years 5 months ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 5 months ago #9490 by hairyhawk
I agree that he looks slower. Hopefully the foot will heal and he will again be himself but for some reason the refs never give him any credit or benefit of any doubt. When guys clear him out with the off arm he gets called for the foul. When he goes up for a shot he will not get a foul call unless the person would have gone to jail for that if it were off the court. I have never understood how some guys the refs like and they call every time someone brushes them and yet that person is never called for a foul. Other players get a foul called just for being on the court.

I think something that will help him and us if he is healthy will be playing against bigger bigs. When he leans on someone they notice and the refs are quick to call a foul on him when that person gets moved a long way. When that other player is bigger and does not move as far, though the force applied is the same, the foul is not called.

The point Mr. Newell makes in the article about LL having good knowledge of the nuances of the offense I think is correct and becomes very important in conference play because the other team knows our offence so well they know exactly what we are trying to do so we need to run it perfectly all the way to the third and fourth option to succeed.

• konza63
More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #9491 by konza63
All good points. However, the officiating thing is what it is. With the Morris twins in their first year, one could almost understand that they were paying the price for constant protesting. It created a viscious cycle. But Landen isn't like that, so hopefully if he's being semi-targeted for cheap fouls that will cease over time. Self can quietly protest that behind the scenes to help the cause.

As for any injury, if there is one and they're trying to heal it with the big picture (and foremost season goals) in mind, they should sit him. Let him rest and heal up during these rather meaningless early games, so that he'll hopefully be there when we need him later on. Use Dok and Coleby in the meantime, along with Bragg. Dok has great upside, so it's not like we'd be throwing chopped liver out there.

Just a thought...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
7 years 5 months ago #9494 by Bayhawk
HCBS and LL know something we don't, but the last starting lineup told us something. All I can do is light a candle and include him in my daily prayers three times a day on my Jayhawk prayer rug facing Lawrence.

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, gorillahawk

More
7 years 5 months ago #9497 by hairyhawk
I do not know why the officials like some people and not others. I remember being frustrated when Jamal Tinsley used to get away with a stiff arm all the time and right now Frank appears to get the calls almost at the Melo Trimble level. Landon not so much. As I said earlier I think as we get into conference some of that will change as it will benefit Landon to face bigger bigs.
As for the injury speculation only his hairdresser knows for sure...or something like that. I hope they know it is not structural and playing on it will not hurt it. I would agree that if it needs rest to heal they should rest him during this stretch to get him ready for conference. Maybe on a more cynical view we want him to practice to help Dok prepare against a strong big If they sit him in games they feel they should sit him in practice and that does not help Dok.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, gorillahawk

More
7 years 5 months ago #9545 by mtnMan
Out here in the mountains a similar funk has plagued Colorado's Wesley Gordon. The departure of Josh Scott means he now gets more attention from both the opposing defense and the refs. Without Perry to draw attention of refs and opponents, it is a new world for Landon. Hope he figures it out.

More
7 years 5 months ago #9550 by NotOstertag
I think it's a combo platter of issues.
1.) He's hurt. You don't wear an air cast in Hawaii for looks. Something's up and it's limiting him to a certain extent. The REALLY bad part of this is that he likely won't get a chance to heal it properly until after the season. Sitting out a few games won't help since "a few games" at a 2x/week schedule isn't much rest. He probably needs several WEEKS to heal it. Christmas break will help, but keep in mind that when WE aren't watching them play, they're practicing and working out. So any real "rest" (actual significant time off the foot) will likely impact other things like his conditioning.

2.) "New" enforcement by the refs. We've all heard it alluded to by the announcers, but the refs have apparently decided to "clean up" interior play. As a result, Landon (along with other veteran bigs) need to adjust what they've been doing. It's actually EASIER for the freshmen to adjust since they expect change when they move up a level.

3.) Competing with new teammates for time: Dok is nipping away at his playing time. Coleby will be doing so as well. He's having to compete to keep his starting role...and not getting the results to stay ahead.

4.) The vicious cycle: his foot hurts, he'd getting called with tick-tack fouls, which sends him to the bench, which opens up opportunities for the new guys, so when he DOES get he's tentative, his foot hurts, picks up another tick-tack foul...and the wheel turns around. I really do think that when you're frustrated, annoyed, and under pressure, it can get in your head and force you out of your game. Soon instead of playing loose and confident, you're playing tight and tentative.

That's my theory. With the exception of the foot, the rest can be fixed. The foot (I'm guessing) is more a matter of mitigating any further decline.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #9561 by Hawknmo
Can't disagree with anything that has been said so far. I also can't pretend Im that upset LL has lost his starting job and some playing time. But I do feel for the young man. He has given all he has to the program and it sucks to be a senior and see PT going down. Simply out HCBS has better options this year and he is exercising them. This appears to me to be a coach playing for late March early April at the expense of one young man's expectations. I have no doubt he will play and represent for the name on the front of the jersey.

RKCKJHK!!!
Last Edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Hawknmo. Reason: Spelling
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

More
7 years 5 months ago #9566 by Hawknmo
My fingers are especially thick tonight...."Simply put".....Sorry all.

RKCKJHK!!!

More
7 years 5 months ago #9568 by porthawk

This appears to me to be a coach playing for late March early April at the expense of one young man's expectations

That's a very good point. And IF this course of action continues, and Udoka keeps starting and earning more minutes, it would go contrary to what HCBS has normally done in this situation. For example, sticking with seniors Elijah Johnson and Jamari Traylor when maybe there were some other players that could've gotten more experience for March (even if meant that they made some mistakes early on).
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

More
7 years 5 months ago #9570 by Hawknmo
In as technical tems as I can state it Port....exactafreakinmundo. This is a change from the norm for HCBS. I for one will cast my vote in favor of this new plan of attack. Like he or anyone else cares I know, but still...I like it.

RKCKJHK!!!

• konza63
More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #9572 by konza63
It's good to see Self opting to rest him tonight. That's a good prescription when the opponents aren't great and the games are less consequential. It takes stress off the foot and allows Dok and Coleby to get nice developmental minutes to grow as players and learn the system.

One thing his foot has nothing to do with is his T-Rex brick hands, which have been on display all season so far. Can't cleanly catch a pass and hold the ball against pressure to save his soul. He got better in that department last year as time went on, so I hope he figures it out. We are going to need important minutes from him, regardless of how Dok develops, given how few bigs we have.

Get better, Landen!

More
7 years 4 months ago #9638 by newtonhawk
I think you're "spot on," NotO. This seems to be a merry go round of circumstances that are really messing with LL's mind. I really believe he is going to snap out of it, but when, is the question. There have been a number of times when one of his teammates have referenced LL as being a "rock" and a "go-to" guy when it come to knowledge and wisdom. I believe he will breakout after the new year.