Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Senex redux - What's up??

• AZhawk87
  • AZhawk87's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 5 months ago #9485 by AZhawk87
We chide Senex for his annual "is the board dead" post, but I'm fearful that he might be right this year.

Where is everyone, and where are all the active posters?

I've tried my best to stir some conversation, with a detailed summary of my in-person Late Night trip (100+ views but ZERO replies), a couple comments about Lucas and Bragg's struggles this year (tons of views but ZERO replies), and some thoughts on Self's changing to an offense that has no high-low component (ZERO replies).

Either I'm not in the "in group", or I'm boring, or the regulars (where's any post from Hawkerrant this year??) have faded away.

We either need to commit to getting active, or creating the next generation of fans/posters, or give up the ghost. This team is exciting, different than past years, full of potential, etc. but this board is dead. Are we going to save it, or should we let Dave get on with his life and let the board die?? I've been lurking, and sometimes posting, for almost 20 years. I hope I don't have to go to another board where people aren't nearly as civil as this group.

Thanks Dave for all you've done! I hope this isn't the end.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, texkan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 5 months ago #9486 by Bayhawk
BTW, I really enjoy your posts; insightful and poignant. Hang in there for conference play,

RC. :)

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

More
7 years 5 months ago #9488 by Senex68
Conference play won't save the Board.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds

More
7 years 5 months ago #9492 by Senex68
I'm not replying to my own post, but rather commenting on it. First of all, the traditional posters are not posting. And when they do post, the content is not really designed to elicit a response. Ergo, nothing! Second, the 'analysis' that we used to post after every game is totally missing. Perhaps we're simply jaded by the overwhelming amount of information already available on the net, or perhaps we already know what the usual suspects are going to post, but whatever the reason, the discussions don't even start, let alone develop. Third, politics has sucked away so much energy from a few (or perhaps more?) of us, that we don't have the energy to go after basketball, which by comparison, is really not impacting our personal and professional lives like Trump and Hillary and Jill Stein and 'snowflakes,' and recounts, etc.

In years past I'd be here immediately after every game, but this season I've actually been filling up my water glass and taking my pills after the games, because they have generally finished around my bedtime. I check the board on my tablet in bed, but typing on it is no fun, and it irritates my lovely wife, who is trying to read or sleep.

I am not certain the board is dead, but it's closer to death than it ever has been, and unless there is a significant uptick in meaningful posts, with the commensurate responses, it is going to fade away. And the really frustrating thing to me is that unless the changes take place soon, we'll all be gone if and when someone actually starts an interesting thread.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds

• AZhawk87
  • AZhawk87's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 5 months ago #9493 by AZhawk87
I think there's another element here as well - the one and done syndrome. With the correlating disgust with all things NBA. My brother and my old KU roommates and I historically have texted during games, almost on a play-by-play basis. That now has all but stopped, as a couple of us (not me) now tape the game and watch later without commercials. We all lament that we're not as "into" KU or college hoops as we once were, essentially because we have never formed any meaningful connection to all the OAD players. Frankly, I have no idea who Oubre, Henry, et al play for, and other than knowing Wiggins is playing great, I haven't followed one game he's played in. Personally, I don't view those guys as true Jayhawks like I do Mason, Ellis, Jacque, Collison, and even the Morrii. These new guys are part of the family, but I never watched them "grow up" as Jayhawks, so I'm just not that invested in them.

I think this board reflects a change in the investment we're all personally making into today's NCAA product.

I hope our interest level rises with the development of this year's team, which could be one of the most interesting in many many years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, murphyslaw

More
7 years 5 months ago #9496 by Senex68
I do agree. Thinking about it a bit, I realized that I barely recall Oubre and Henry, and only remember Wiggins' last game, when he simply stunk. One year is not enough to get my attention, and I think it's fair to say it's pretty much the same for most of our posters. I really like Jackson, but unless he leads us to a title, he too will be remembered for what he might have become if he stayed even a 2nd year. We've been married to the Jayhawks for so long, the OADs are like a wild weekend, enjoyable, but not memorable. And often when we recover from the pleasure, we regret the time we wasted and the risks we took.

Glenn Reynolds

• texkan
  • Ring my Bell, if you can find it! ;)
More
7 years 5 months ago #9514 by texkan
:ohmy: ...Yeah I said it; been preaching that theme for several years now. Whats happened here and on so many other boards is we have become too BUSY surfing the WWW and socializing through our computer/phone apps. WE HAVE NO TIME TO VISIT OUR OLD WEB HAUNTS. We've gotten older, busier, disenfranchised, and fed too much info by every media source invented in this world. AND the future will bring more products into our daily lives. So as the view count shows, on the front page; we visit, but DONT have or take the time to chat on RCB, cause its competing with all the other THINGS to explore in our gadget filled world. BUT we can still follow our favorite college hoops team, anywhere, anytime, anyplace; AINT LIFE SWEET?! :woohoo: i could go on with more; but then again; I'm mostly retired from ANYTHING! :whistle: so my visits are less at each SOCIAL MEDIA STOP, in my daily routine. RCJ and thank you, texkan :P ps- NURSE remains on her worldwide traveling jaunt; and is loving every moment of it! :silly:
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, Bayhawk, gorillahawk

More
7 years 5 months ago #9518 by CorpusJayhawk
What everyone is saying makes sense to me about the changing nature of college hoops and the changing nature of web surfing and so forth. I am not "in touch" with the general trends on social media. Heck I still don't text much and have never viewed a Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter or any other website of any kind. So I have no sense of what is happening in that regard. As for KU Basketball, college basketball in general and this board in particular, I can only voice my personal thoughts. As for this board, it is the only one I have ever visited (are you getting the picture I am not much of an internet guy). So if it wanes, I will be left with my daily newspaper scanning of the LJW and a few others. Plus I have my RCC. As for the low view and post count, I again can only speak for myself. I still visit regularly and read everything but my posting is motivated or demotivated as the case may be by the level of cogent or interested responses. As one of only a few quants on the board I lean toward quant oriented posts. I am happy to do those posts since I do all the work whether or not I post, but the little bit of extra effort to post I usually justify by whether or not it spurs any discussion. My earlier posts this year spurred no discussion so my interest in continuing to post waned a bit. I sort of followed the lead of porthawk, gorillahawk and few others to spur some discussion but none of any substance was forthcoming. I admittedly do not have any clue as to why other than reading some of these hypotheses submitted here. Heck, for all I know is people are just busy or something. I probably enjoy this board more than many since I admittedly have such limited other outlets to indulge my Jayhawk passion. Of course I have the RCC and for those who are interested I am back up and running with the DPPI on Ken Massey's site. Last year I finished 29th out of 69 and this year I am committed to breaking into the top quartile. Watch out Sagarin and KenPom, I am in the house!! I am a little sad to see the board wane and as a lifelong optimist, hope always springs eternal that it will pick up. I do hope everyone is doing well and the reason for the waning tide of posts isn't some mass contagion affecting our Jayhawk brethren. I would be happy to continue posting the +/- the stats analyses and other things if there is sufficient interest. Heck, as I said, I keep all of that up regardless. Plus, I built a some really super cool (sounding like a total quant nerd now) analyses for conference play that are very interesting to me. So I would be happy to post those during conference season as well if anyone is interested. FWIW, the DPPI as of today has KU ranked 21st in the country, 4th in the Big 12, a projected regular season record of 20-8 (Conference record of 12-6) with a post-season projection of 2-2 for a total record of 22-10. That would be a really HUGE disappointment. Let's hope we can continue to improve.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, gorillahawk

More
7 years 5 months ago #9524 by murphyslaw
By all means, please continue to post your +/- analyses plus the studies you've done on conference play. I may not understand everything you bring to the board so selflessly, but it is fascinating nonetheless.

BTW, I welcome suggestions from all on this board on how to make my posts more discussion-friendly. It is my hope to contribute to the success of the board, not to its demise.

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 5 months ago #9527 by konza63
Corpus: You da man. Keep up the great work, kind sir, to the extent you have the time and inclination. It has been, is, and always will be very highly valued in this corner, and obviously in most others on this board.

THANK YOU.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
7 years 5 months ago #9528 by MountainHawk
I enjoy reading the +/- and have a general idea of what it means but don’t feel confident enough to comment. Which 4 teams are projected ahead of the good guys?
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

More
7 years 5 months ago #9530 by Bayhawk
RC

-- Jules Michelet

• konza63
More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #9532 by konza63
Hey everyone, I hope you and yours are all doing well and had a very enjoyable, blessed Thanksgiving.

RE the post topic--what is wrong with the board???--part of me does have to chuckle just a tad, because we go through this every year. However, I DO sense that this year is a bit more "challenged" (at least out of the gate), but I can't possibly speak to universal reasons for that. I can only speak to my own reasons for a) not commenting nearly as frequently as I normally do by this time into a given season; and b) for not commenting with nearly as much substance or "quality" of insight or provocation as I might normally TRY to do.

For me, it's simple, and multi-layered:

* The pull of young-venture work is much more taxing and time-consuming than I wish it were...but I enjoy the work and so there's that, but it doesn't leave nearly as much time for "side" pursuits

* The notion that time pulls and crunches get "easier" as your kids get older is pure bunk, or at least it is for me. Mine are now 14 and 12, and just their year-round sports (two sports each) places immense demands on me as a a parent. (It's no longer enough to simply attend games and shuffle them to myriad practices, now there is scorekeeping, announcing, helping with fundraisers, traveling for tourneys, etc. etc.) And that's just sports! There's also music concerts, volunteering, and helping them when they have questions for homework. Add in the regular family time and it just requires a lot. I wouldn't trade any of that for the world, and I am beyond thankful for it (knowing full well that it is fleeting and to be enjoyed to the hilt). But it also takes time away from commenting here.

* The election campaign this time around ABSOLUTELY DRAINED ME. It was by far the most debilitating, gutter-bound, sophomoric, mind-numbing, intelligence-challenging, truth-be-damned fiasco of a campaign that I have ever experienced since I have walked on this planet. It matters not one iota which way I voted (in a lousy-choice election). The point here is that I've never seen a campaign like this, and that's speaking as simply a citizen voter as well as a KU-trained (and later GW grad school-trained) political scientist and historian. It was literally a "brothers/sisters/parents/children/friends torn apart" type of election, and it pretty much exhausted what little amount of excess energy and "fumes" I had. Not only that, but it led right up to the start of the KU hoops season, making it very hard to disengage from the former to enjoy the latter. I DID get to watch all KU games, mind you (you all know me well enough to know THAT will always remain true), but once they were over I didn't have much time or energy left in the tank to come on here and offer up anything meaningful. All the more so when, as Peter so vividly described, the games often were finishing so darn late.

I think the country is still emerging from somewhat of an "election hangover," and it has bled over into simple things like how to carry on civil conversations at Thanksgiving and so forth. That's as close to a "universal" excuse as I can come up with for the board's "low energy" at the moment. (Pardon the inadvertent "low-energy" parroting of Trump vis-a-vis Jeb Bush from the primaries! See, there it is again! Distracting!) That and just the fact that people are busy and perhaps also because the board membership has always tilted toward a bit more "mature" or sophisticated/cerebral hoops types. It's not a quick-hit bunch here, but that means the pool of contributors is far lower, and when they post less it feels more like the board is ailing.

Beyond those potential universals, the aforementioned individualistic factors are also in play for me. It makes it tough.

I can assure you this, though, speaking just for me. Even if I can't post as much as I'd like, I'm still here. Reading the posts and contributing when I can. And my love and passion for KU hoops is just as fervent as it's ever been. I love the school, the tradition, the pride, the passion, the excellence. I think this year's team can be truly special, if health holds up all season long (and at the right time in March-April) and we get the necessary development and contributions from some nascent pieces that we'll need. I think we're in the top 5 candidate pool to cut down the nets, so I for one am keeping a very positive, hopeful attitude. And I'll be watching each and every game, if the Lord is willing and the creek don't rise. (Hat tip to Hank, Sr.)

Last comment: I appreciate you all. Very much. And I know it's a mutual thing among all board members here when it comes to this homey, comfortable, hospitable, and enlightened gathering place. Keep the fires burning, to the extent you have the time and capacity.

Rock Chalk...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 7 years 5 months ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk, gorillahawk, porthawk, DocHawk, newtonhawk

More
7 years 5 months ago #9534 by CorpusJayhawk
There's the Konza we all know and love. Witty, with a side order of sarcasm at no loss for words. You made me chuckle more than a few times. I had the good fortune to decide to turn off the election around September 1st or so. I bet I didn't watch 3 news programs after September 1st so I am not in the drained camp. I have been looking forward to KU hoops as a relief and distraction from what has been an interesting year (not bad so much as just interesting). I have had to lay off 99 people (I hope my staff isn't sitting around fretting who is No. 100). But all in all things are going great and I am always super optimistic that things will get better. Some day this industry may actually turn a profit and I doggone well want to hang around for that. In the mean time KU basketball is always there to raise my blood pressure and who doesn't need that? I mean how can you not get excited at the only thing that can make you yell (and I mean yell) at an inanimate object at least 10 times in a 2 hour period like I do at the TV when KU is playing. I mean when I watch most TV shows it is my aim to get as comfortable as I can in my reclining sofa. So how is it that I spend half of the game standing and pacing? I am glad KU has been playing some later games because it is keeping me from wasting so much precious time sleeping. You have to love a game that manufactures so much adrenaline that it takes a full 2 hours after the game to get to the point where I can sleep. Some poor schmucks just lay down at a reasonable hour and fall right to sleep. I am blessed to work out this adrenaline by rehashing the 23rd possession when Lucas missed a screen and Mason's shot was blocked resulting in a fast break because Devonte' was on the wing instead of top of the key when Mason drove to the hoop. And I can relive that moment multiple times working out that sweet adrenaline. LACES OUT...LACES OUT!! Yes, there is nothing like Jayhawk basketball to take my mind off the trying things of life.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

More
7 years 5 months ago #9537 by sean
This board can't die. While I am no longer a regular (and probably haven't been a regular in 10 - 15+ years), I do check in periodically. I love the historic stats on this site as well.

I notice the board software is different, so I had to register as new poster using my old name. Looks like I start over at 1 post. ;-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, gorillahawk, texkan

• konza63
More
7 years 5 months ago #9538 by konza63
It's still only November.

Along with the election campaign and hangover this year, we're in the multi-holiday swing period. That creates a lot of pulls on folks' time, and typically the games during that stretch aren't all that competitive. Once we get to the new year, KU will be in conference play and things will start getting "real." I suspect activity will pick up then.

Of course, if you have a dog in the fight in the NFL playoff chase -- which I certainly do with the Chiefs -- that could mean split energy and focus, reducing some time and capacity for routine posting on the Hawks.

Bottom line: everyone has choices--post exclusively here as often as you can; post here even while you frequent less civil or interesting boards; or just lurk. Be part of the solution or part of the problem.

Regardless, unless and until Dave says otherwise, the board will still be here.

The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, newtonhawk

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 5 months ago #9541 by Wheatstate Gal
I love this board....you guys make me laugh. Thank you.

I so enjoy reading the analysis and commentary..although I seldom dare to wade into those waters to discuss.

Although we came out of the gate facing 2 top tier opponents, this is the warm up period for me. Once we get into the conference and face ken-yucky (hi, Mom!!!!!).....maybe we'll come alive.

Question which may be answered with the forthcoming asteroid post-- does long beach state have a big man to bang with landen in the paint?

I spent many many years working at LBSTATE. Stomp 'em Hawks!!! Just because they paid me doesn't mean I have to root for them! :evil:

More
7 years 5 months ago #9543 by Bayhawk
"Keys for Kansas

1. Low post scoring

With just one player on the Long Beach State roster standing taller than 6-foot-8, this could be a good game for the Jayhawks to get right in the area of low post scoring. "

Source: www2.kusports.com/news/2016/nov/29/gamed...ach/?mens_basketball

RC ;)

-- Jules Michelet

• konza63
More
7 years 5 months ago #9544 by konza63
More like:

#5 KU vs 1-7 LBSU

"Keys for Kansas: Show up."

:silly:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Bayhawk

More
7 years 5 months ago #9547 by mtnMan
Are there enough of us on Facebook that we might do better as a closed Facebook group. Such groups are easily moderated, access controlled, no server fees, and the threaded interface is very nice. also notifications of new posts if you want them. I participate in several such closed Facebook groups and really like them. Also, very easy for casual readers to let us know they are there by clicking like (or haha or wow, etc.) when something interests them. just a thought.

I haven't been posting or reading as much because we've had such ridiculous fall and early "winter" weather I've been out on my bike all the time. Maybe with colder weather board activity will pick up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, sasnak, gorillahawk