Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Play of Kansas’ starting bigs remains concern of Bill Self

• gorillahawk
  • gorillahawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 5 months ago #9437 by gorillahawk
Play of Kansas’ starting bigs remains concern of Bill Self, who could elect to ‘tweak’ lineup

"Self gave an update on frosh Azubuike’s ever-changing body on Wednesday.

“I don’t think he’s quite 7-foot tall. I think he’s a legit 6-10 1/2, 6-11. He got here at 303 pounds. He’s 262 now. That’s a heck of a deal. In five months lose 41 pounds. He looks absolutely great. He feels good. He has to go after the ball,” Self said."

< www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12...rticle116837488.html >
The following user(s) said Thank You: jayhawk969

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
7 years 5 months ago #9444 by konza63
The ineptness of our bigs definitely can't remain as it has so far, out of the gate.

I thought Lucas would pick right back up from his solid stretch run last year, but he looks utterly anemic. He has hands of bricks. Literally cannot catch and hold a ball with any semblance of pressure or hands around his. He looks like a short-armed T-Rex out there. After the Indiana game, I just wrote it off as cobwebs. But we're 5 games into this now, and he stinks. Sorry to be so blunt, but that's reality.

Bragg was supposed to be primed for a breakout year, but he just comes and goes. I sometimes think he's just too "nice" of a kid and doesn't have the aggression/mean streak in him. I love the smiles and what-not, but the kid needs to start getting after it and imposing his will in games.

Dok looks like he could be a stud on the defensive end (rebounding, anyway) if we can just develop him more quickly on the O side.

Overall, it's only late November, so I'm not yet worried. But if we're still talking about this in late December/early January, then Houston, we'll have a problem--at least as it relates to NC championship aspirations. We simply cannot win it all without any solid post presence on the offensive end. Gotta have both to get to the Promised Land.

Hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving!

Rock Chalk, go Hawks!

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
7 years 5 months ago #9457 by NotOstertag
I remember a certain Mr. Ellis who struggled early in a season that became a breakout year for him.

Lucas puzzles me because he was a "go to" guy last year, but seems to have regressed. Bragg is taking on a lot more responsibility and is still adjusting. On the upside, Coleby and Azubuike seem to be improving.

Still lots of time to figure it out. With the exception of Lucas the other 3 are adjusting to new roles and in the case of Coleby coming off an injury. I do think that our backcourt is SO talented that they'll overshadow our frontcourt all year, but it would still be nice to see some balance.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot