Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Team Stat Analysis through 2 Games

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 5 months ago #9339 by CorpusJayhawk
Hopefully the table of stats below will be readable. Let's start at the top.

REBOUNDING - Obviously the Jayhawks being outrebounded thus far this season will not stand. But that has to be a continued focus. Rebounding is critical to success. Shooting comes and goes from game to game but the best way to overcome bad shooting is defense and rebounding, both of which are a little more controllable. Against Indiana they simply dominated on both ends rebounding. Against Duke we dominated on both ends. One of our big problems losing to Villanove in the Elite 8 last season was very poor offensive rebounding (21%). By my estimation we should be a far better rebounding team this season. If you go up and down the roster we are as good or better rebounding at every position. Rebounding in the Indiana game had to be a huge disappointment. Expect this season to be one where we dominate the boards. This is an area we will get better and better.

SHOOTING: KU shot lights out from 2pt range (65%) against Duke but we were pathetic from the arc (12%). We also shot terrible from the FT line against Duke. But we shot well from the FT line against Indiana so who knows where we will end up. I would say for so early in the season and against two top 10 teams our 53.4% shooting efficiency is not terrible. How good of a shooting team this team will be remains to be seen. Last year's team was the best in the Self era (58.9% SE) and the best since 1993 (59% SE). Under Self we average an SE of 56.3% I suspect we will be at least that good. Nothing to worry about quite yet.

OPPONENT SHOOTING: Obviously giving up an opponent SE of 58.9% in the first two games is alarming but these are good teams and it is early in the season. Defense usually takes a little longer to gel than offense. But 58.9% is pretty bad. Heck, 50% is bad. We have not been a good FG defense team thus far but you can rest assured this is the focus of our practices. THIS WILL IMPROVE or player will die. Self will not abide anything close to a continuation of this level of performance. I predict this team will be relentless on defense tonight against Siena. Look for high energy on defense.

SHOT SELECTION: Thus far this team is about an average Self team in that they are shooting about 70% of shots from 3pt range. But 86% of our FG's are two pointers because we have been so bad at hitting treys. Last season we shot about 10% more from the arc than a typical Self team. Not sure where this team will go. We have some basket rattlers so we may shoot a lot more from two point range from drives. Despite the prolific number of fouls called KU has only scored 22.2% of points from the charity stripe. With the number of fouls I would have thought this to be over 25%.

OPPONENT SHOT SELECTION: Our two opponents this year have lived at the three point line. A whopping 42.4% of shots by Duke and Indiana were from the arc. That is crazy. I guess if it is working then go for it. Opponents have benefited a bit more from the fouling scoring 26.4% of points from the FT line.

BALL HANDLING: Good nes, we played two top teams and had excellent ball handling stats. We had a %LoB of 15.4% in these two games. Heck anything south of 19% is usually pretty good. This is 2 to 3 extra possessions a game which is 4-5 points. We also have a positive TO margin. Our assist to TO ratio is a little sub-par. Under Self we have averaged 1.19 and thus far we are 1.16. Not bad considering the competition and also we have bee a little more of a drive the ball to the hoop team thus far. So I am okay with this.

POSSESSIONS: Okay on the surface this looks like a catastrophe. We have given up a whopping 1.113 points per possession. That goes way way beyond bad. That goes beyond terribly bad. The last three years KU has not been up to snuff on defense. We will need to radically improve on this most important stat to be effective this season. We have also scored a little sub-par. The goal is always 1.1 points per possession. We are close and given the level of competition that is okay. I am not yet worried but we need to get much better here.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jayhawk969, OreadExpress

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.