Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Potential Upside

More
7 years 5 months ago #9305 by Kong
I was thinking about this the other day as I was excitedly looking forward to the KU Dook game.

In the past, I would watch KU play and could see all sorts of areas where we could massively improve and then watch that develop (more often than not) over the course of a season as we approached reaching our maximum potential. Essentially I could identify areas where, as a team, we had room to grow and had untapped potential.

This year we have that, but I don't see it as that much room to grow. Yes Jackson has a ton of room and so does Dok, but overall as a team, I don't see the high ceiling that I am used to. Maybe it is because our guards are experienced and have come close to reaching their potential already. Maybe I don't see much growth potential in Lucas or Svi. I don't know what it is, but I feel that we do not have the massive upside this year that we have in the past.

This isn't a bad thing, it just means that the growth is going to be different.

Anyone else seeing anything similar.

Visualize Whirled Peas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #9306 by Hawknmo
If you are saying that pretty much "what you see is what you get", then yep, I'm with you. Are there a few areas that can and need improvement? Absolutely. Will freshman look different in March than they do today? Of course. But for the most part, the heart of this team, Frank, Devonte, Svi and Lucas are what they are. Let me be the clear also in saying I am 100% F-I-N-E with that. If those guys don't improve a lick (and they will) we look to be able to compete a pretty freakin high level. Not much more we can ask as fans.

RKCKJHK!!!
Last Edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Hawknmo. Reason: Spelling

More
7 years 5 months ago #9319 by DocHawk
Disagree. I see a lot of upside. Almost certainly Bragg can show us more than he has so far, and I think both SVI and Vick will get more consistent in their contribution as the year goes on. Finally the freshmen. Dok may be even more valuable than Lucas by the end of the year and if the experts are close to right about Jackson and the second half of last night becomes the norm, Jackson may be as much of a star by the end of the year as Mason is now. Overall, I can't remember a team with more upside over a season as this one. Given that we're good enough to take out a #1 team (even if they're short some of their potential) now, we'll be scary good come tournament time baring injuries.

More
7 years 5 months ago #9332 by JoJoHawk
I am a little more in the middle. I do feel that this team is more advanced toward their ultimate potential than other teams in recent memory. I attribute this to 2 factors. One, upper classmen leadership- starting Sr/Jr guard combo and Lucas in center. Solid Jr in Svi off bench and 2 sophomores in Bragg and Vick who are on the verge of really blossoming. Second, we have 2 frosh that have shown great talent and, possibly more importantly, that the college game is not to fast for them. They also seem very engaged and passionate (a bit of which may need to be tempered). I don't think Alexander or Diallo ever got comfortable with the college pace and Andrew, well it was hard to tell if he had just won the lottery or returned from a funeral! With more playing time as a unit I think the sky's the limit.
Note on Svi- somehow he needs to get his mind off of his shooting. He has a complete game- good handle, good passer, decent defender, really good court sense- all of which looks natural and instinctual. BUT when he shoots you can almost SEE HIM THINK- see a hypnotist already- don't THINK, SHOOT!!!!
JoJoHawk (M '82)