Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Hudy!

• Freestate69
  • Freestate69's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 10 months ago #8356 by Freestate69
I went to a really fun event yesterday at Top Golf in Overland Park. Shawnee Mission Health sponsored a men's health program with Andrea Hudy as guest speaker. As impressed as I have always been with Andrea's work, she is even more impressive in person. She spent about 20 minutes talking about the program at KU; answering several questions related to her work with the basketball program and how technology plays a part in designing "fitness prescriptions" for each player depending on their body type and position. According to Andrea, there are 3 basic types of athletes: linear (those who run mostly in a straight line like baseball outfielders and runners), lateral (e.g. basketball players, baseball infielders, soccer players) and rotational (e.g. golfers and pitchers). Each one needs a different exercise program designed specifically for them as an individual, to build them up safely without causing injury and in a way that prevents future injury while performing. She is very concerned that her programs be "healthy" for the athletes.

When asked about her favorite success stories, she pointed to Jeff Withey who had to relearn how to jump after playing a lot of volleyball and Tarik Black who came to KU with a weak and unproductive body and became an NBA player in one year. She glows about Perry Ellis who came to every practice and every game at his peak; never letting down and getting better every day due to his intense work ethic. The best athletes she's coached have been Andrew Wiggins (who she calls Gumby because he moves like a slinky and yet can in an instant become rigid and strong like a leaf spring) and Ben McLemore. She said that Josh Jackson can be the same kind of athlete. Her biggest project this year will likely be Udoka Azubuike. He comes into the program at 7' and 300 pounds, but really weak. You know she is jazzed about getting him into shape.

She has been contacted by numerous NFL, NBA, NHL and MLS teams to help improve their strength and conditioning programs. From her conversations with these and other organizations, she believes that KU is currently 15 years ahead of the rest of the fitness industry.

There is no doubt that KU indeed has in Andrea Hudy what Jeff Withey dubbed a "secret weapon".

"Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of the earth." - Gandalf on passing through Columbia, MO
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, gorillahawk, murphyslaw

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 10 months ago #8357 by HawkErrant
KU Hoops has one of the best in the business in two areas -- sports fitness training and head coaching!

I always give thanks to Drue Jennings for Bill and Lew Perkins (yes, even in spite of all the bad he did here I can still thank him for the good) for bringing on Hudy. Key, pivotal points in KUMBB history.

Rock Chalk!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

More
7 years 10 months ago #8359 by murphyslaw
I certainly hope Hudy gets paid a salary high enough to keep her here until she retires! She is in great demand, and there probably many programs, both pro, as you mentioned, and college teams, who would love to lure her away.

Only one thing puzzles me: She never appears to be wearing a KU shirt or any other item identifying her as a Jayhawk. Perhaps she wears a necklace or something we can't see on TV, or perhaps she is mainly dedicated to improving players' skills and has no particular allegiance to Kansas University. (Which is why I hope her salary is, and continues to be, huge!)

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
7 years 10 months ago #8360 by HawkErrant

And check our the cover of her book:

True, it's not Hudy on the cover, but it sure emphasizes the connections.

Also see pics in:
www2.ljworld.com/news/2014/aug/16/hudys-book-available-soon/

espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/stor...n-college-basketball

edwardstrainingsystems.com/2012/05/29/th...-bsmpg-seminar-2012/

worldonline.media.clients.ellingtoncms.c...bdb23c6f48523261b548
(Note here she is clearly at a game and wearing a KU top.)

Granted most of the pics are her at work and not on TV, but she clearly has a well stocked KU wardrobe. My thoughts are that she considers those her work clothes, and when she's on national TV she tries to dress up a bit more.

Do agree with you, though, about making sure to pay her enough to keep her here and happy.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
7 years 10 months ago #8371 by murphyslaw
Thanks, HawkE! I feel much better after seeing her in KU garb.

You make a good point about her dressing up a bit more for games.

We are so fortunate to have such an accomplished person on KU's staff! (Eat your heart out, those who'd love to have her on theirs!)