Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Rock Chalk game at 7 tonight at Free State High

• gorillahawk
  • gorillahawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 11 months ago #8278 by gorillahawk
Rock Chalk game tonight: Brian Hanni’s Rock Chalk Roundball Classic, which will include former KU players including Releford, Cole Aldrich, Ben McLemore and others, will tip at 7 tonight at Free State High. Gates open at 5:30 p.m. Autographs are available after the game. Admission is $10. For information go to the game’s Facebook page www.facebook.com/rockchalkroundballclassic/

< www.facebook.com/rockchalkroundballclassic/ >

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• gorillahawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
  • gorillahawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 11 months ago #8280 by gorillahawk
Rock Chalk Roundball Classic continues to grow

"If, for one night, a kid battling pediatric cancer can block out that dreadful ordeal, the power of sport can provide a wonderful platform.

That happens each year on a Thursday in June when former Kansas athletes gather, most of them basketball players, to participate in the Rock Chalk Roundball Classic."

< cjonline.com/sports/hawkzone/2016-06-13/...assic-continues-grow >

• gorillahawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 11 months ago #8283 by gorillahawk
"“By the grace of God, we put together a roster of 40. Fast forward eight years, we’ve had nearly 70 participants as either coaches or players. Now we have the ability to fly in some of these guys, some NBA guys, who make it part of their summer calendar every year. It gives them an excuse to come back to Lawrence, a town they love and be around coach (Bill) Self and some of their basketball brothers.”

The event is part of a hectic week for Hanni, who is in his fourth season calling Texas Tech basketball and baseball. The baseball run is not yet over. After capturing the Big 12 regular-season title, the Red Raiders qualified for the College World Series for the second time in four years and will join league rivals Oklahoma State and TCU in Omaha later this week.

In addition, Hanni remains in the running for the KU play-by-play position following the retirement of longtime announcer Bob Davis."

More
7 years 11 months ago #8284 by murphyslaw
I don't remember Hanni's broadcasting voice, but there seems to be a push to get him hired as Bob's replacement. My thoughts are that Bob's son, whose voice I haven't heard, either, would sound similar to his dad, which would make the transition easier for me, at least. (I never listen to the TV announcers, no matter how much time difference there may be in the feed, so the voices on the radio are very important to me. Chris Piper is a nice enough guy, and I suffered through his fracturing of the English language, but in my opinion, Greg Gurley was a welcome replacement.)

Since I haven't heard either Hanni or the younger Davis, it would be helpful if those of you who are familiar with Brian would share your thoughts.

Thank you in advance for whatever you care to post on this matter!
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk