Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Self: Bragg/Svi will leave after this season (Implications)

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 weeks ago - 8 years 2 weeks ago #7986 by konza63
According to Gary Bedore, in today's article on the KU banquet and Carlton Bragg's decision to return his sophomore season, Coach Self basically said that those two are as good as gone after the upcoming season:

“Carlton knows if he can get a little stronger and be a guy who averages 12 to 15 (points a game) next year, he won’t have to make a decision if he comes or goes ... he’s going,” Self said. “I think Svi is exactly the same way.”

With that in mind, if you believe (as I do) that Devonte Graham is primed for an even better season and will potentially get serious consideration from NBA suitors as well, here's what we could be looking at after this season, with respect to key players:

(Graduating/Gone)

Lucas
Mason

(Certain to Depart Early)

Bragg
Svi
Jackson

(Strong Chance of Leaving)

Graham

(Likely to Return)

Vick (G)
Coleby (F)
Azubuike (C)
Lightfoot (F)

Given the above, and the fact that (like a good pool shooter) Self and the staff have to be thinking many steps ahead in their recruiting strategy in the present, KU is looking EXCEPTIONALLY THIN for the season after this one. That is particularly true of our perimeter, but it also holds for our front-court depth and starter-level production.

Remember that this upcoming season will see KU try to tie UCLA for all-time consecutive P-5 league titles. When we do (and in my mind, not to be cocky, but it's a "when," not an "if" given our talent next year relative to our league competitors), you KNOW that Self is going to want to go all out to obtain title #14 to break the all-time record and put KU in the history books for eternity.

Given this reality, I think it's safe to say that they have a ton of work cut out for them, not only in finding the right developmental guys to fill out our remaining schollies for this year (with an eye toward depth but also next season)...but ALSO getting very hot on the recruiting trail for 2017-18. KU will not be able to afford to wait until spring to amp up its recruiting, as Self has done often in the recent past (including this year). In past years, there were lots of unknowns going in as to who would go and who would be back. After this upcoming season, there are very few of them--really, only Devonte. And the staff cannot make any safe assumption about him, given his incredible development his first two seasons (and ensuing breakout potential this year).

Time to get to work...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 weeks ago by konza63.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.