Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Svi returning for his junior season

• DrJHawker
  • DrJHawker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #7942 by DrJHawker
Expected it but good to hear the confirmation.

m.kusports.com/news/2016/apr/12/svi-mykh...urning-ku-junior-se/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sieverling, konza63, HawkErrant, Rosie19, Wheatstate Gal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #7944 by HawkErrant
Great news! I think it's going to be another banner year!

Thanks, Dr J!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• replayloungehawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #7945 by replayloungehawk
Thanks Dr. J! This is great news. I was hoping he'd come back. He's gonna be spectacular!!!

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #7946 by jayhawk969
Give how our current guards rebound and Josh's capability I can see us playing 4 "guards" a lot............with a disruptive defense.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #7947 by porthawk
Maybe stretching it a bit (b/c Golden State is in a special class), but Jackson and Svi could be the 2 versatile forwards (a la Green and Barnes) in that scenario.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #7948 by NotOstertag
I don't think Wayne was ready, but I'm looking forward to his replacement. I also don't think Diallo is ready and should come back. I hope he does, but I don't think he will. So all we're really losing there is potential.

Perry will be tough to replace, but in time I think Bragg might exceed Perry's abilities.

So here's the comparison:

Frank>>>>>>>Frank. No change, 1 year better and more experienced.
Devonte>>>>>Devonte. Ditto.
Landon>>>>>>Ditto, but a he'll be confident from day 1.
Wayne>>>>>>Jackson. Likely some early season bugs to work out, but surrounded by the other 3, he'll do great.
Perry>>>>>>>Carlton. By conference season, I could see Carlton being better than Perry.

Ladies and Gents...we're going to be really really really good next year.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #7949 by big g
violently agree with your conclusion NotO with two small nits. one, i worry landon wont look nearly as good initially when not playing next to perry who drew a lot of attention so lets all agree to give him ( and bragg) some time to find their modus operandi. and, two, sadly vs the yr just completed where there were no truly dominant teams, it looks like that next year duke (especially), villanova and kentucky are going to really really good. the conference tho will probably be significantly easier which shld at least bode well for meeting the regular season goal. final four, however, if we get there will be a supreme challenge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago #7950 by konza63
This is phenomenal news. When you have a proven (and rising) commodity in the stable like Svi, it's important to retain him. All the more so since his departure would've left us with no seasoned depth on the wing.

As I said about him earlier, in talking about lineups and recruitment issues, he came on big-time down the stretch this past season. I loved watching the evolution of his defensive chops, and he also began to get more comfortable shooting the ball (in more pressure-packed games) and driving it. His biggest thing will be improving his handles and his quick-hit flash moves and speed. I'd also like to see him really dedicate himself to becoming a rebounding force from the wing position (or stretch 4 if we go small and he lines up there instead of Jackson). At 6'7, he can be much more of a presence on the boards, and that would really help out our attack.

I love that the tweet and recommitment came literally the day after the top recruit in the land (who happens to be a tall wing himself at 6'7) committed to KU. Whether he intended it or not, it comes off as Svi and Self being on the same page, and Svi telegraphing that he welcomes Josh to the team and will enjoy competing for minutes with a supremely talented group of guards/wings.

Rock Chalk, and welcome back, Svi!

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by konza63.

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #7963 by Wheatstate Gal
Big old THUMBs UP, Svi!!!!