Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

KU Lineup AY2016-17? What's next right now?

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #7918 by HawkErrant
Assuming that Svi and Carlton return (looks like they will inform us at the banquet this week), this looks to be the starting lineup as the Jayhawks begin the AY2016-17 season.

STARTERS
G Frank Mason (SR)
G Devonté Graham (JR)
G Josh Jackson (FR)
F Carlton Bragg (SO)
C Landen Lucas (RS SR)

BENCH
C Udoka Azubuike (FR)
F Dwight Coleby (RS JR)
F Mitch Lightfoot (FR)
G Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk (JR)
G Tyler Self* (RS SR)
G Lagerald Vick (SO)
F Clay Young* (JR)
? open scholarship for another HS recruit?
? open scholarship for a graduate transfer?
? open scholarship for a traditional transfer (will sit out next season)?
*walk-on

I do see Jackson starting right away over Svi in the 3rd G spot, replacing Wayne. Per reports on him he is not as good a 3pt shooter as Wayne was, but as we would expect of Rivals #1 player in the country he is an excellent scorer, and word is an excellent defender before stepping foot in AFH. So I see him, like Andrew, starting right away.

I see Svi and Lagerald getting a lot of PT, especially so for LV if KU does not land a graduate transfer at the guard position as competition/backup for F&D. I expect Azubuike to see significant PT, but to be limited until he gets his endurance up to KU standards. I can see Hudy working him hard on the weights and in the stands (Withyize him!) ASAP to get him ready for college ball. Lightfoot sounds like another Kevin Young, and if he plays that well or better, he'll be a great asset in his Jayhawk career -- just not sure how soon.

For now the watch is on for:
Svi and Carlton announcing they will be back next year (I believe the banquet is Wednesday)
What other HS recruits and transfers KU will land in the next few weeks.

Remember, Wednesday is also the start of the Spring Signing Period for MBB, aka National Signing Day. Is it too much to ask that all the other rides are filled then? Given the current state of things, probably so, but my wife would really appreciate it! ;)

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 8 years 5 months ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 5 months ago #7921 by big g
great post HE, thx. one obvious point abt the three open scholarships is that our chances of getting some real contributors just improved significantly by signing jackson.

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 5 months ago #7932 by konza63
I think your lineup looks spot on. We may have a nailbiter of a decision involving Svi. I sure hope he returns, as losing him would torpedo our depth and our 6th man scoring option.

The thing about it is that Svi is going to get a decent amount of time as our primary 6th man (first off the bench). He can make a good living there, as other KU players have in the past. The question is will it be sufficient for him to check any ego or ambition at the door and commit to coming back in that role? Again, for KU's sake, I really hope so. We need those extra bodies, particularly those with the experience and knowledge of our system that Svi has. He really came on late in the year, improving on all fronts--but particularly defense and his long-range shot. He needs to work a LOT on his ball handling over the summer, and his explosive flashes with the ball. But we really do want and need him, in my book. Sure hope he comes back.

PS: HE, have you actually heard that about he and Bragg informing everyone at the luncheon? I thought with the new rules in place that both might do the NBA team interviews and go to the combine (sans agent), just to get a decent picture for themselves. So I'm just curious on that...I haven't been scouring all the KU articles out there of late.

Thanks!

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 5 months ago #7937 by HawkErrant
I have not actually heard or read anything about them making any announcement at the banquet. Historically the banquet has been the place where guys who were coming back did confirm their status, so I was going off that. That may change this year, but seems to me that if they were seriously looking to test the waters under the new rules, they would have declared already, going the no agent route to keep the door open to return. Self has always helped his players with checking into their options, and I have to believe he has been doing the same this year, even with the new rules.

You got me thinking, so I double checked the new rules, and they do have until May 25th (10 days after the conclusion of the NBA draft combine) to EITHER declare for the draft OR remove their names from consideration if they have already declared.

I had not really thought about it in these terms until now, but it would be interesting to see if the NBA would extend combine invitations to players that have yet to declare by the time the invitations are sent. And if the NBA didn't extend an invitation to a player, IMO that would say a lot about how the NBA views that player today.

Just have to wait and see. :unsure:

And here I was hoping for a little more peace of mind after this week. Thanks, amigo! :pinch: :whistle: :P

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• konza63
More
8 years 5 months ago #7938 by konza63

And here I was hoping for a little more peace of mind after this week. Thanks, amigo! :pinch: :whistle: :P

You and me both. We're all having to navigate the twists and turns of these new rules... And I don't like the fact that the process can drag out until late May. Can you say "ridiculous?" It really messes with each program's recruiting calendar and strategies too, I'm sure--or will do so as it plays out.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
8 years 5 months ago #7941 by JoJoHawk
If Svi returns, Svi starts. Simple as that.

More
8 years 5 months ago #7943 by DrJHawker
I posted this separately but here it is again - m.kusports.com/news/2016/apr/12/svi-mykh...urning-ku-junior-se/ . Fully expect Carlton to do the same and to start.

I'd agree with your lineup. It would just be so amazing if Diallo decided to come back. I know there are opinions to the contrary and it is doubtful but I think it would be the best for him and make us a much better team.

• konza63
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #7951 by konza63

If Svi returns, Svi starts. Simple as that.

That would normally be Self's MO, but he certainly made an exception for the OAD Wiggins (as an early starter) based purely on Wiggins' talent level.

I predict fierce practice competition for the starting role, and how it unfolds on day one may very well change as the season progresses.

Given the talent on hand, in some ways it doesn't matter who will be starting and who won't. Both players will get (and earn) a LOT of minutes, I presume and predict, but I also can foresee Jackson working his way into a starting role if he's everything we are hearing. If his motor is as intense and his game as well-rounded as advertised, there's no chance of him riding the pine for any significant minutes.

Last Edit: 8 years 5 months ago by konza63.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #7952 by Senex68
Unless Jackson flops, he starts at the 3 and Svi gets 25 plus minutes at the 3 and the 2. To me, the really interesting guy is Vick, who showed a sweet 3 point shot and really good lateral quickness. He can play the point, and at 6'5" he's going to be a load to defend. I will not be surprised if he gets 20 minutes a game.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds
Last Edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Senex68.

More
8 years 5 months ago #7955 by Illhawk
We have a nice five man rotation of wings to divvy 120 minutes. I almost said smalls but three of them go 6'5" 6'7" & 6'8". Vick has been described as one of the best "athletes" in the program. Josh seems to now have that title but if his jump from year one to year two is similar to Devonte's we will have the pieces to create match-up problems on the perimeter for anybody. ( except maybe Duke and we can cross that bridge when we get to it.)

After mid-February Frank seemed dinged up and wore down. He remained fierce, and full of heart, but a half a step off going into the paint. It reminded me of Sherron after he had been a primary scorer for a while. Keeping him fresher for March with low 30 ish minutes, may be a luxury this rotation allows us to afford.

• konza63
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #7957 by konza63

Keeping him fresher for March with low 30 ish minutes, may be a luxury this rotation allows us to afford.

Coach Self, are you listening?

This intangible factor, perhaps more than any other, could prove pivotal to a national championship run.

We won't NEED Frank playing 32-37 MPG to win #13, so hopefully the Big Cheese plays this smart. (It also makes complete sense to develop ballhandling backups given Frank's departure after the season...and the distinct possibility that D-tae could leave too, along with Jackson)

Last Edit: 8 years 5 months ago by konza63.

More
8 years 5 months ago #7960 by big g
these last two posts are brilliant tactical recommendations which i hope hcbs adopts. he always seems to burn out his pgs. it sometimes seems that hes he's almost superstitious in his regard

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 5 months ago #7964 by HawkErrant
MINUTES PER GAME FOR 2007-08 GUARDS (source: ESPN )
P PLAYER           GP MPG
G Mario Chalmers   39 30.0
G Russell Robinson 40 27.5
G Sherron Collins  34 23.8
G Rodrick Stewart  33 11.6
G Tyrel Reed       23  6.3
G Jeremy Case      30  4.9
G Conner Teahan    21  3.0
G Brad Witherspoon 12  2.0
G Brennan Bechard  12  1.8
G Chase Buford     13  1.6

Mario, RR and SC cover the 80 1&2 minutes, with everyone else covering the 2 as needed (fouls, minor injuries) and when our 3 Rush or 4 Arthur rested. This tells me that Self is willing to go deep if he has 3 Knights and at least a couple of Pages to spell them. I think more and more that if any graduate transfers are being pursued for next year they should be guards with solid handles so Frank & Dee can rest more next year.

More
8 years 5 months ago #7967 by porthawk

I think more and more that if any graduate transfers are being pursued for next year they should be guards with solid handles so Frank & Dee can rest more next year.

Absolutely!!!