Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Jackson to KU!!!!

• replayloungehawk
  • replayloungehawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #7908 by replayloungehawk
NM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #7909 by HawkErrant
Well done, replay! B)

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• replayloungehawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #7911 by replayloungehawk

• replayloungehawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #7912 by replayloungehawk
I just hope he is an immediate impact! With the players we have coming back he could be the key piece we needed. Although we have never seen to done that hot with Freshman. Wiggins was great for sure. I just hope he's that special kid.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago #7914 by HawkErrant
Re: "that special kid"

You know that "alpha dog" we've been looking for, that leader that we thought Devonté was growing into this year?

Word is this kid ain't just alpha dog, he's junkyard alpha dog.

Hope that is right and that it actually works out to instant impact. He's already a solid defender and a great scorer, so learning Self hoops will be the key. We have Wayne's replacement, and perhaps then some.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrJHawker

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #7917 by DrJHawker
I've heard it said that thought Wiggins may be a more gifted basketball talent than Jackson, Josh is more "ready for NCAA primetime" than Andrew was as an incoming freshman. I hope that's the case.

DeVonte, Frank, Josh, Svi and Vick give us a very strong stable around the perimeter. It seems we still need another big man. Certainly wish Diallo was staying another year.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #7919 by JhawkMom
I just read it and had to run over here. Just KNEW somebody else would beat me to it. So very happy. What a coup we got!!!!

Now to find out who is not returning :-( Sure wish we could keep our very best and get that NC next year!!!!!!!

Way to go HCBS!!

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #7920 by Senex68
I chatted with my scout friend tonight, and he said that although Wiggins is an unparalleled athlete, Jackson is close and has more developed basketball skills. He told me that Jackson will be a true impact freshman, and is a defensive force to boot. He estimated that his abilities and skills will have a much bigger impact on KU than Wiggins did, and by the end of the year will possibly be a POY candidate. He also expects that if Jackson doesn't get hurt, he's going in the top 2 or 3 next year. I'm pretty pumped about this 'get.'

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, gorillahawk, DrJHawker, replayloungehawk, newtonhawk

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #7923 by DrJHawker
With Diallo headed to the pros, we need another big.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #7924 by Senex68
My friend tells me that Diallo has a decent chance of coming back to KU. He doesn't think it will happen, because he believes that stupidity reigns in the NBA, but if the workouts don't go super well, he's coming back. Make for a very interesting season, if he does.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrJHawker

More
8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago #7925 by AZhawk87
Before getting to our new OAD signee, I would like to say I wasn't devastated by the Elite 8 loss. I think Villanova was clearly the best team at the end of the season. We had a great run, and a fascinating recovery from one of the oddest mid-season mini implosions I can remember. I enjoyed KU as a "team" and not as an incubator for a OAD player.

Our team, and Self's handling of the players, restored my "like" for college basketball and KU. 2015-16: The season of upperclassmen. The season of saying "I don't care if you're a hyped OAD - earn playing time or watch from the bench". I loved it.

Now, regarding Jackson - I watched with tempered interest as Jackson's announcement played out. I'm very happy we got him, but frankly don't care if he starts, or plays more than Svi, Graham or Vick. Let him earn his playing time, and if he does, more power to him. If he doesn't, then Self will put the players with the best chance of winning on the court. As it should be.

I wondered if Diallo's lack of PT would affect recruiting. Maybe for a player who will demand to be the star, but clearly in the case of Jackson, Self's system attracts players - and families - who are looking for more. I like it very much. Well done Coach Self.

Signing Jackson is great for KU, but I'm firmly behind Self and the KU way - OAD's are not bigger than KU basketball.

Rock Chalk.
Last Edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by AZhawk87.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sieverling, porthawk

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #7926 by porthawk
Senex, can you equate "decent" with a percentage? I ask b/c I can't tell if decent is closer to, say, 40% vs. 60%.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #7927 by DocHawk
Jackson's commitment loads the deck for next year with or without Diallo. He is likely a more consistent Seldon. Bragg has the talent to make up a lot of Perry's points and my understanding is that Coleby is probably a trade up on Traylor. Svi and Devonte will be that much better and Vick will play meaningful minutes. #13 is probably a lock and a NC a real possibility. If you want to worry, think ahead to 2017 when Frank and Landon have graduated and Jackson, Svi, Bragg and possibly even Devonte have left for the pros. The cupboard will be pretty bare. Let's hope Self can locate some mid-quality talent willing to ride the bench and learn in preparation to step in. Otherwise we will need a monster recruiting year next year to go for the all time best 14 conference titles. RC !!!

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #7928 by Senex68
Jackson is a much better player than Selden. He's taller, longer, has better 'handles,' is a driven athlete that never takes time off when he's playing, and he's a tremendous defensive player, able to guard pretty much any 2s, 3s and 4s. In many ways he's a better Wiggins, notwithstanding the fact that Wiggins has become a great NBA player.

As for Porthawk's question, the odds on Diallo returning are about 1 in 3.

Glenn Reynolds

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #7930 by AZhawk87
I predict Diallo goes anywhere from 15 to 25 in round one. Teams are generally throwing darts at that point, and his raw athleticism will wow many observers. Lack of fundamental basketball skills take a distant second to length, speed, hops, shot blocking and a desire to attack the rim and dunk. He will excel in individual workouts,and someone will take a flier on him.

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #7933 by konza63
Maybe the 76ers will take him. After all, they need more big men!

JK... :P

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago #7935 by konza63
HE, I'm glad you brought this up, because that's the one thing (along with Josh's mad skills and high IQ) that I've heard about him: that he's one heck of a leader and a determined force on the court. My, wouldn't that be a welcome commodity for KU?!?

Here's a nice article by Newell (interviewing Eric Bossi of Rivals) in which Bossi speaks to the "alpha" quality in Josh:

www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-bl...article71268217.html

Q: I’ve read you talking about him being ‘Alpha’ before. Is he more of that personality?

A: Yeah, he’s not going to hesitate to cuss someone out, on his team or on the other team. That’s just the way he is on the floor. That guy, he wants to win pretty bad, and he wears his emotions on his sleeves. But he plays really hard, and off the floor, he’s very engaging, very intelligent. And I think one of the things that’s been underrated about him, the guy has a really high basketball IQ. I watched him go in and basically, just by watching in a quarter, pick up everything that the USA Basketball team last week for the Hoops Summit spent seven or eight hours of practice putting in. He picked it up just like that. He’s a basketball player. He’s not just an athlete.

Q: You talked about his emotional nature. Has that been a positive attribute when you’ve seen it?

A: Yeah. I think so. I’d rather have a dude that I have to turn down a little bit than someone I’m begging to show me some life. I think Kansas fans will enjoy it. I think they have kind of yearned for a vocal, fiery leader for these past few years. That’s what they should be getting in Josh.

(My bold for emphasis)

Welcome aboard, Josh! ;)

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by konza63.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago #7940 by porthawk
33% is lower than I was hoping for, but I'll take it.