Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Wright changed his recruiting philosophy, it seems

• porthawk
  • porthawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #7820 by porthawk
See this quote (bold below is mine):

These Wildcats do not win because they have flashy pro picks or one superstar. Four players scored in double figures in this title game, and three more found their way into the box score. They are, always, a collective effort, winning because they string one small act with another, connecting tiny building blocks into major victories.

Arcidiacono is the rarest of rare, a four-year team captain, and thereby the exact right player with the ball in his hands at the exact right moment. After Wright had made a conscious decision to undo what he'd let his roster become -- built with highly sought-after recruits who were decent people but not entirely committed to the idea of long Villanova careers -- he went after Arcidiacono, a suburban Philly kid whose parents are Villanova graduates.

espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/stor...va-played-all-season

Based on the what the article says, HCJW did, indeed, change his recruiting philosophy...I really like that...and it paid off for him...good for him! If we wanted HCBS to fully do this (I think he does to some extent), it would bring us back to the debate about if he needs to recruit one-and-dones to keep up with other programs.

I wound up looking for an article to support the ESPN article I linked above and I found this:
www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/vi...va_s_Jay_Wright.html
Last Edit: 8 years 1 month ago by porthawk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 1 month ago #7823 by konza63
Good stuff, Port--thanks!

RE your closing comments, I don't think there's one model that is proven to work over others time and again. Cases in point:

* Coach K has won it all with teams full of long-tenure guys, with teams full of one-and-done players (last season), and mixes of both.

* The Squid won his one NC with mainly OADs, but with a couple 2/3-year vets sprinkled in

* KU this year had a very vet-laden team, with two 4-year seniors (Ellis, Jamari), two seasoned juniors (Selden, Mason), and two system-comfortable sophs (Graham, Svi) constituting the core team that played in the Elite Eight game. No star OAD to be found on the court. And yet, we couldn't beat a similar Nova team.

It would be interesting for a sharp quant-mind like Corpus to look at a healthy sample of NC championship teams to see if one "formula" seems to be more dominant than another. My guess would be the "mix" of vets and 1-2 emergent future NBA picks would be the ideal (or best bet), but that's just a hunch.

PS: If that hunch were proven to be correct, that is exactly the kind of team KU would be fielding next year if we land Josh Jackson and don't lose Svi to the pros (NBA or Europe).

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
8 years 1 month ago #7825 by mtnMan
I don't think we should underestimate just how close KU was to winning that game and perhaps all of it. Certainly no reason to change recruiting or coaching philosophy based on that one game. If there is anything to be changed in KU's coaching strategy this year would be to develop a bit more depth. In that Villanova game our depth did not match theirs. Perhaps playing more guys at the expense of winning quite as many games.

In any case, next year looks like it will be fun, again. While we are frustrated on getting to the Final Four again, here in the mountains Colorado is trying to figure out how to win an opening round game in the tournament. we are spoiled, but don't want that to change!
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63