Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Things that make you shake your head...

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 1 month ago #7761 by konza63
* Villanova shot a searing 58% for the tournament, and 57% tonight in the title game. KU held Nova to 40% shooting in that Elite 8 game...and out-rebounded them...but couldn't pull out the win.

* Nova hit 18 of 19 free throws against us, however, while we hit only 7 of 11. Those 11 points were obviously huge in a 5-point game.

* KU was the overall top 1 seed, yet was handed Nova as its 2. Obviously, after tonight, NO ONE can say that was the 4th-best 2 seed (which is what the overall #1 should draw). KU gets another bad draw, yet again.

Crap...

(But again, congrats to Nova on tonight. It's some solace--taking out the Holes--for our inability to beat the ultimate champs)

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: newtonhawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #7762 by LKF_HAWK
Villanova's year, just the nature of the NCAAT...how many unheralded guys step up for Villanova..Phil Booth
Last Edit: 8 years 1 month ago by LKF_HAWK.

• konza63
More
8 years 1 month ago #7767 by konza63
@ESPNCBB: Nova shot the highest tournament FG percentage by a National Champion in the last 50 years with 58.2%.

t.co/ppqzBwPiLE

And yet, again, KU held them to 40%. The one team that threw sand in their gears. But just not quite enough... :(

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
8 years 1 month ago #7789 by Senex68
We threw plenty of sand. The problem was we got some back and choked on it.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds

• konza63
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #7794 by konza63
Agreed, sadly.

Last night we witnessed a team capable of closing the deal--as in their other games, under fire, playing with grit, toughness, confidence, and composure. I wish KU could bottle that themselves during tourney runs. :(

'08 seems far away now...

Last Edit: 8 years 1 month ago by konza63.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 1 month ago #7803 by HawkErrant

konza63 wrote: '08 seems far away now...

True.

But in perspective 1988 was even further, despite solid teams in 2002 and 2003 and 1997 and 1998, all under the guy that missed again this past Monday.

Not saying I'm not with you on the regret. I just have to step away from it and keep it at arm's length.

My hope is that Bill experiences the same upswing Roy did as he goes thru his second decade with a blue blood program.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

More
8 years 1 month ago #7805 by Senex68
Mix in alpha dogs with cold blood and you win games, as long as you have the talent and the coaching. We've lacked those ingredients too many years, and we've lost games we should have won as a result. The 2008 team had no fear, no conscience and no shortage of talent. This year's team did not have enough ice in their veins to prevail. Give us one more Graham and we win. In many ways, I believe that Greene's injury was the final blow. If he had played............??

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #7806 by Wheatstate Gal
You know? I thought we DID have ice in our veins this year. During the winning streak they didn't ever seem to panic. I guess this stage...next stop Houston....was just too much.

not casting stones, kicking sand.....I'm a nervous wreck when the pressure is on.....

What did Coach say and Konza63 repeated as mantra when the team took the court in Louisville? Pleasure over Pressure.

I may have to needle point that.......or put it as my screen saver! :silly:

More
8 years 1 month ago #7807 by Senex68
Without the issue of the refs, we would have prevailed. It was just that Selden and Ellis..............well, they either didn't shoot enough, or they shot too much.

Glenn Reynolds
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, mtnMan