Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

UNC can go to hell.....

• Sieverling
  • Sieverling's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • c'86. Call me Dave
More
8 years 1 month ago #7633 by Sieverling
Note: the article has language that many will find offensive.

www.offtackleempire.com/2016/3/28/113179...ations-investigation

Hic manebimus optime
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, Illhawk, DocHawk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• Sieverling
  • Sieverling's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • c'86. Call me Dave
More
8 years 1 month ago #7634 by Sieverling
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #7640 by HawkErrant
... and I read more and more about Roy today, I am more and more glad that Roy chose to leave. If he and UNC are not on a fast bound train hurtling toward a washed out bridge, there will be hell to pay for the NCAA.

My personal thought is that the NCAA is letting UNC play in this postseason in the hopes that when he retires Roy will still have 1 title left after the NCs in 2005 and 2009 -- and a huge portion of the games over the 18 years from 1993 through 2011 -- are vacated. Note that The Traitor Smith retired after the 1997 season, by which time the fraudulent courses had been offered for 4 years. I would think his 1993 title is probably safe, but everything since is in jeopardy.

Excerpt from the article Timeline of events in the UNC scandal published the News&Observer (based in Raleigh, NC -- NC State's hometown) --

Feb. 21, 2014: UNC system and UNC-CH officials announce a new investigation, this one led by Kenneth Wainstein, a former high-level U.S. Justice Department official. He and three other attorneys in his firm are expected to delve into unanswered questions about the role of athletics in the scandal.

Oct. 22, 2014: Kenneth Wainstein's investigation finds that pressure from the athletes' tutoring program prompted the academic fraud, countering UNC's long held position the scandal did not have its roots in athletics. His report identifies nearly 190 no-show classes, and hundreds more bogus independent studies that date as far back as 1993. Roughly 3,100 students took the classes, nearly half of them athletes. Several tutoring staff knew the classes had no instructor, including Jan Boxill, who would later become faculty leader. Experts now say it's the worst academic scandal in the history of college athletics.

There should be hell to pay. "Will there be?" is the lingering question.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 8 years 1 month ago by HawkErrant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, gorillahawk

More
8 years 1 month ago #7643 by Senex68
I find it amusing that UNC is playing Syracuse. Two cheaters and two foul programs fighting to see who can survive before the axe separates their heads from their bodies.

If programs of this size and history can cheat like this, is it really a big step to imagine that some of the refs are on the take? Why not?

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, HawkErrant, gorillahawk

More
8 years 1 month ago #7644 by Illhawk
I voted for OU to stop this death star.

I had never seen the list of all of the players graduating from the bogus program or not at all. Wow!

I will be happy Monday if Buddy is cutting down nets and Roy is crying, and moreso if he "retires" before the week is over
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, Senex68, replayloungehawk

More
8 years 1 month ago #7691 by Governors
How appropriate that it is raining today. I have no interest in watching these games today. My wish is to wake up tomorrow and read that UNC lost, then the sun will shine. Otherwise it is going to be a miserable few days in Chapel Hill.

ABC (anybody but Carolina)!!!

More
8 years 1 month ago #7693 by JRhawk
Would say ABA (anybody but ACC), but since one has to win, I have to root for UNC in this case. Is a pathetic state of affairs in any case. I'm beginning to fear for college sports as we know them.

Always tough to watch after KU loses - am hoping for a big OU win.

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 1 month ago #7698 by konza63
I despise them both, but fraudulent UNC more than Syracuse. I can't "root" for either of them, and will not watch one second of the game, but I'll be pulling strongly for the TarHoles to lose.

Go OU.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
8 years 1 month ago #7706 by LKF_HAWK
Meteor, go Meteor. OU, hello OU, the game was tonight, sheesh!

More
8 years 1 month ago #7719 by Governors
:angry:

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #7724 by Wheatstate Gal
Poor misguided 89 year old Mom Unit.

Regardless that OU was last Big 12 school standing, she is a firm supporter of Roy. If KU cannot take it all then let Roy. This is where this "little acorn" has fallen far from that mighty oak.

I said something about the academic scandal. And until the shoe falls, Roy (not UNC) is her man.

For me the "aw, shucks" dad gum corn pone personna Has not been effective for some time. They cheated for years. The sainted Dean may not be such a saint after all. Roy, whose nose would have been broken had coach smith made a sharp right turn, knows. We know he knows. Everybody knows he knows.....and I'm not sure how much more feet dragging the NCAA can do. (Perhaps they are going back to every player since 1993, was it to check their 6th grade class work.)

Whatever "punishment" is given will be a minor slap on the wrist......there will be NO bb titles rescinded--does cruel and unusual punishment apply to the NCAA? :silly:

Tongue in cheek: if Larry brown had coached there, there would be penalties!

NCAA never did "catch" Tark the Shark" did they? They really aren't trying to catch UNC at anything.

At one of my jobs, we had a president who was born in Mississippi. Highly educated, sharp, sharp, sharp....yet used that corn pone southern charm SO to his advantage. NOW, there was not a crooked bone in that mans body. People loved him. He was a very good president. But MAN could he use that southern charm to sell ice cubes to Alaskans.

Just sayin.......

Sorry for the ramble.....I've been pretty calm up to now. Takes a while for my simmer to finally reach a boil. And I'm at sea level, not altitude!
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, gorillahawk

• konza63
More
8 years 1 month ago #7733 by konza63
This is great stuff, Wheatie! Very nicely stated.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

• konza63
More
8 years 1 month ago #7739 by konza63
espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/stor...y-all-ncaa-sanctions

One minute he's playing his incessant "me-first" victim card (everyone is out to get him and UNC, life is so unfair, it's been so hard on him and his program, blah blah blah), the next minute he's biting reporters' heads off for this or that perceived affront.

As I said before, if there is any ounce of karmatic balance left in the hoops universe, Villanova will win tonight and the NCAA overlords will grow a pair and hit UNC very hard with punishments fitting the crime in the aftermath.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #7772 by Wheatstate Gal
I see. Men's BB players say they "benefitted from the system" but Ol' Roy says the BB program will not be penalized.

OK. so this academic fraud scheme was established, yet the men's bob teams as so pure of heart and ethically and morally strong that they turned their backs on easy street to staying eligible?

Ohhhhhhhhhh, now I understand it, Roy. No problem. We gotta do something, so we'll come down on the swim team! ;) Signed, NCAA Compliance Committee

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 1 month ago #7774 by HawkErrant
SINCE the bogus "academic courses" were established to help keep student-athletes eligible (and IIRC the Wainstein 2014 report, sponsored *by* UNC , states this to be the case), and almost 50% of the "participants" were student-athletes, there is no question that this is more than a "general academics, not athletics" issue (the latter being UNC's stance). The fact that non S-As were allowed to enroll was a necessary camouflage put in place by the AFAM staff to not draw attention to the courses.

Without the bogus courses, IF:

Just one student-athlete did not have enough hours for a term to qualify as full time
OR
Just one student-athlete did not have a high enough GPA to remain eligible
THEN
the NCAA, by rule, is supposed to *at least* vacate all the wins in which that student-athlete participated while ineligible.

Given all the MBB players that participated (e.g., IIRC all the starters on both the 2005 and 2009 teams), the NCAA is going to find at least one ineligible player in several years during that 18 year time span.

I can see it taking the NCAA time to do the grunt work of checking the grades and GPAs of each student-athlete and adjusting them by taking out the bogus courses to see if those S-As were eligible or not. But they've had more than enough time now.

For the sake of its own future, the NCAA needs to come down hard on the tarred ones. If it does not, it needs to blue sky all its investigation to show why UNC was *NOT* punished. If the NCAA does not, I can see Congress getting involved (you know Congress will do anything it can to not make progress on its regular work), and the NCAA may find its legal status -- let alone its status in relation to its constituent schools -- severely altered.

Then again, maybe the world of college sports is as perverted as we dread.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
8 years 1 month ago #7781 by Governors
HE, as I was talking with patients yesterday in the office, the topic of UNC basketball invariably came up. Of course, everyone knows my allegiance back in Lawrence, but they were still inquisitive as to whether I would be watching last night. I simply stated "no" which caused some consternation on their faces and they asked why.

I simply indicated that I felt UNC has been given a pass and probably should not have even been considered eligible for this year's tournament (either by the NCAA or self-imposed as other schools have done).

To a person, they replied that "nothing" really happened and this whole academic fraud is nothing more than a personal vendetta against the university. They also believe that the NCAA won't penalize UNC at all.

As such, I was very pleased with the outcome last night when I read the news this morning.

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 1 month ago #7783 by HawkErrant

Governors wrote: To a person, they replied that "nothing" really happened and this whole academic fraud is nothing more than a personal vendetta against the university. They also believe that the NCAA won't penalize UNC at all.

I hear ya, Gov. I, too, was very pleased with last night's outcome -- which I, too, did not watch.

I will say this regarding your patients' comments: I remember the fans and the administration and the athletics department and even the coaches of another university thinking much the same thing 28 years ago. They soon learned to their chagrin that they were wrong.

Given all that Carolina has become in large part to its Kansas connections, may history once again repeat itself as they suffer a much more deserved ignominy

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 1 month ago #7784 by HawkErrant
It would have been funny 2 days ago when it was published, but today it's just plain hilarious.

UNC to Award Players with Three Credits in Net-Cutting if They Win National Title

HOUSTON — The North Carolina Tar Heels are just 40 minutes away from winning the program’s sixth national title, but university administrators are prepared to sweeten the pot for the players by offering credit towards their degree if the team cuts down the nets on Monday night.

In fact, UNC will give the players three credits for a special course named Celebratory Net-Cutting 405.
“Climbing up a ladder high above the ground and using a sharp tool to cut a single strand of net is a skill as difficult and delicate as performing ballet, in my opinion, and universities give academic credit for that,” said head coach Roy Williams. “I think they should get more than three credits, to be honest. And my players need more than three credits, too. I don’t think any of them are even close to being eligible academically for next season.”

The coach said the net-cutting course shows North Carolina is taking education seriously again.
“It would be easy for us to just make up fake courses again and have tutors do all the players’ work,” said Williams. “But we’re not doing that. We’re making them put in the time. In fact, that’s an actual course. Time Studies. The players all sat in a room today for 10 minutes and learned about the passage of time. That was worth nine credits of independent study. And they all aced it.”

NCAA president Mark Emmert said his organization is pleased with the changes the UNC athletic department has made.
“We’re happy with any real courses they want to create for their players,” said Emmert, “as long as they don’t teach them about basic worker rights or unionizing.”

North Carolina also announced that if they don’t win the national title, they will grant their players three credits in Disappointment Studies.

The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63, gorillahawk, Wheatstate Gal

More
8 years 1 month ago #7788 by Bayhawk
To keep from cryin' :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :dry: :ohmy: :huh: :unsure: :angry: :woohoo: :evil:

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 1 month ago #7790 by murphyslaw
Loved this! Thanks for finding and posting it. We all need a good laugh, that's for sure.