Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Greene is declaring for the league and leaving too

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #7573 by konza63
kuathletics.com/news/2016/3/30/mens-bask...m_content=1459369404

I thought he might transfer, but didn't see this coming. (Test the waters, perhaps, but hiring an agent? Surprising)

It don't see any possible way he'll get drafted in the League, but it is what it is. I sense an overseas paid stint in his future...

HawkErrant, time to update the spreadsheet with available schollies. Maybe we go hard after Ferguson now too?

Last thought: I hope Svi doesn't get the itch too. That would really deplete us of guys with actual experience on the court, and make me far less optimistic about our upside next season. Fingers crossed...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 1 month ago by konza63.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• replayloungehawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #7574 by replayloungehawk
This is unbelievable. I know he's a heck of a shooter but that's about it. I am perplexed. I'd have expected Svi to declare before Greene. Wow...come on down Jackson, Ferguson and whoever else. One of these freshmen have to be a major impact player sometime for us.

More
8 years 1 month ago #7580 by Senex68
He wasn't going to start next year, and staying another season for 10-15 minutes a game was not terribly appealing. He wasn't going to get any better so why stay? He'll have a long career overseas and maybe get a shot at the NBA in a year or two. But he can shoot, and that is not something you find every day in a guy 6'7". Gonna be a big turnover year. Big!

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds

More
8 years 1 month ago #7581 by DocHawk
WOW !

More
8 years 1 month ago #7582 by AZhawk87
I tried to like Greene, I really did, but eventually he burned me out and I didn't care if he ever played.

His leaving is less "I'm ready for the next level" and more "I've had enough of this crap and need to move on" whatever that may be.

I hope he finds a place to play, but I think there are a lot of shooters out there who can't do much of anything else, and they're playing in amateur leagues. His height is a plus, but most every player I've ever seen can dribble better than him, pass better, and defend better.

He'll be on some NBA summer league team, and could probably land on a D-league team, but I don't expect much beyond that.

Good luck Brannen. Rock Chalk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, NotOstertag, Wheatstate Gal

• texkan
  • Ring my Bell, if you can find it! ;)
More
8 years 1 month ago #7585 by texkan
...and the wheels go round n round. :silly: NURSE, where are you when i need you? meds, pillow and J e l l O are requested. my personal opinion; I NEVER LIKED B G. and I'm sticking to it! imho, THANK YOU, TEXKAN :ohmy: :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk, Wheatstate Gal

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 1 month ago #7586 by HawkErrant

AZhawk87 wrote: I tried to like Greene, I really did, but eventually he burned me out and I didn't care if he ever played.

His leaving is less "I'm ready for the next level" and more "I've had enough of this crap and need to move on" whatever that may be.

I hope he finds a place to play, but I think there are a lot of shooters out there who can't do much of anything else, and they're playing in amateur leagues. His height is a plus, but most every player I've ever seen can dribble better than him, pass better, and defend better.

He'll be on some NBA summer league team, and could probably land on a D-league team, but I don't expect much beyond that.

Good luck Brannen. Rock Chalk.

Yeah, I think that's about right, AZ. Although I generally love my KU players, in his case I think the bolded attributed feeling is mutual in my case.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

More
8 years 1 month ago #7592 by DrJHawker
Jackson sounds like a strong KU lean over Michigan State or Arizona. If true, with both Selden and Greene leaving, it should become an easy decision for Josh.

I certainly hope Svi stays. If so and if Josh is coming - we will be just fine. Maybe Greene leaving gives Svi more incentive to stay.

I expected Selden's departure, wasn't surprised by Greene or Diallo, but I'm hoping Diallo ultimately decides to come back for another year.

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #7603 by Wheatstate Gal
I hope he finds a gig where he can loiter at the edge of the arc and wait to catch and shoot, where defense isn't part of the game plan.

Adios, My Friend. B)

More
8 years 1 month ago #7729 by porthawk

More
8 years 1 month ago #7736 by NotOstertag
He can shoot and he's tall but he's also been unable to prove that he can do much else consistently. Throw in some injuries and obvious friction with Self, and I don't see his departure as a huge hit. Wish him all the best, but don't expect him to play and work his way onto a roster like Tarik did.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot