Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Dumb question on bracket contests

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #5729 by konza63
Every year I fill out a bracket (or two) and participate in this or that contest. Sometimes it's just with a handful of buddies out here for bragging rights and a few beers. This year, however, I volunteered to run a bracket contest for my son's basketball team, to include the boys but also all parents, coaches, and families.

My question is this: does anyone have good suggestions for easy-to-use online bracket contest sites--contest sites that can be limited to a particular group, but where every member can enter their own picks and monitor progress as the Dance proceeds?

Bonus points for bracket contests that use an ascending point system for each round (rewarding users for picks of teams the farther they go, until the ultimate prediction, the NC game).

If, instead of an online platform, you know of a site where I can download good software, that's fine too.

Thanks in advance!

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago #5731 by CorpusJayhawk
Konza, I built a bracket in Excel that allows you to adjust winnings and scoring. I would be happy to share. It is pretty complicated in design (as you might surmise) but simple to use. It has a lot of things you can control. For instance, you can decide how you want to score upsets and how you want to pay winnings. It is designed based on the actual odds of each seed winning in each round. It is designed to be 1000 points for a perfect bracket and you can pick how many points you want each round to bed. For instance you can say that Round 1 will be 500 of the 1000 points to more heavily weight Round 1. It assigns point to each game based on the seed and allocates the assigned points based on ration of all possible points. If you understood any of that I will be amazed. As I said it is actually super easy to use and it has a sheet you send out to participants that they pick based on a drop down menu. They send that sheet back and you simply cut and paste their picks. An online site has lots of advantages but the one it does not have is the formulas and flexibility I have built into my sheet.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #5740 by konza63
Thanks, Corpus. I'd definitely be interested in that.

I'm also still interested in looking at "lower-maintenance" online options as well, just for comparison, if anyone has a preferred site.

Feel free to email me offline, Don, at the usual place. And thanks again! ;)

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
8 years 2 months ago #5744 by NotOstertag
Those are the two that I've used, and frankly they're about equal. IIRC, they both allow you to create a closed group (limit it to your team and other invitees) but also give you stats on how you're doing nationally. They also, I think, both have different scoring options...so you can weight by round or not.

Honestly, if you're not looking to reinvent the wheel, these things are great and totally turnkey. Set and forget. Once the games start, people can log on and see where they are in the standings, check everybody's brackets, the whole enchilada.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

More
8 years 2 months ago #5747 by DocBlues
You might check this site, Konza.

www.TourneyTime.com .
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63