Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Our Announcers

• Senex68
  • Senex68's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #5694 by Senex68
I almost forgot to write something about the game yesterday, given my pleasure in the outcome, but the two guys who were announcing the game appeared to me to be totally unaware that there was an audience, other than each other. They not only spent way too much time talking about irrelevant stuff, but they were almost whispering, making it almost impossible to understand what they were saying. Every once in a while they would pay attention to the game and their voices would increase in volume, but generally they were a drone in the background. Extremely annoying and frustrating. I didn't realize that these two could get worse, but yesterday they accomplished it.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago #5708 by NotOstertag
My thoughts on Musberger are well known here, so I won't rehash them again.

I agree on the sound though. Some background: among my many activities, I've played music for my entire life, and have learned quite a bit about microphone use and sound mixing during this time. Many people who don't know what they're doing hold microphones too far from their mouth for the sound to be picked up clearly. When this happens, the sound guy often has to "raise the volume" (gain) on that microphone. As you move further away from the sound source, more background noise bleeds into the microphone...so if you're 10 feet from a microphone in a crowded stadium, turning up the "volume" (increasing the gain) on that line will also increase the volume of background noise.

In Allen Fieldhouse where the crowd noise can literally be deafening, or at Kemper where it can be very very loud at times, having a microphone a few inches away from the sound source allows that background noise in, and when the sound guy tries to turn it up, it doesn't do anything to get the announcer's voice clear of the background noise.

What's maddening is that a guy at home watching on TV who dabbles in live sound and recording can figure this crap out, yet the production team at ESPN (who are allegedly professionals, not mere hobbyists) can't figure it out. The solution is stupidly easy: a producer needs to adjust Brent's mic placement, and if/when he adjusts the boom on his headset into an incorrect position, somebody needs to either tell him to fix it through his headset, or physically go readjust it for him.

Just a guess, but I'm betting that the producers have given up on it with him. I'm sure they've told him what to do, I'm sure he puts the mic where "it's comfortable" and despite repeated admonishments, the "on air talent" (technical term, not a reflection on actual skill levels) overrule the guy in the van with a leatherman on his belt.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

More
8 years 2 months ago #5721 by JRhawk
No doubt great analysis. I like Fran most of the time, but when with Brent, he devolves. Since they rarely talked about the game, it didn't bother me that I could barely hear them, Start a petition drive for Simon & Schambi.

More
8 years 2 months ago #5745 by DocBlues
Being the "homer" that I am, I mute the tube and listen to Bob and Greg. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag

More
8 years 2 months ago #5746 by Bayhawk
;)

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 2 months ago #5751 by NotOstertag
Typically when watching from home, I'm giving the DVR a serious workout. Good play? Rewind and see how it developed. Was that a foul? Go take another look. Opponent gets an open dunk? Who blew the coverage? FFwd through the commercials and stoppages to catch up. For example, with Jamai had his above the rim dunk vs. Texas, I probably fell 5 minutes behind after frame-by-frame advancing that thing to see if his head was above the rim (looked that way to me).

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtnMan

More
8 years 2 months ago #5753 by Bayhawk
I find the delay to be minute and tolerable. But, I have to review the game the next day or so . . . :(

My OCD won't let me not watch live play. :dry: :lol:

As long a people have the KU option, then all is good,

RC

-- Jules Michelet

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #5762 by HawkErrant

Bayhawk wrote: I find the delay to be minute and tolerable. But, I have to review the game the next day or so . . . :(

My OCD won't let me not watch live play. :dry: :lol:

As long a people have the KU option, then all is good,

RC

At last I understand Anna's issue! I should have known!

Thanks for the insight, Bay!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #5763 by HawkErrant

NotOstertag wrote: Typically when watching from home, I'm giving the DVR a serious workout. Good play? Rewind and see how it developed. Was that a foul? Go take another look. Opponent gets an open dunk? Who blew the coverage? FFwd through the commercials and stoppages to catch up. For example, with Jamai had his above the rim dunk vs. Texas, I probably fell 5 minutes behind after frame-by-frame advancing that thing to see if his head was above the rim (looked that way to me).

Hello, Twin Son of Different Mother! :woohoo:

IOW, you've described me perfectly me, NotO!
Drives Anna nuts! :silly:

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by HawkErrant.

More
8 years 2 months ago #5766 by Bayhawk
Somewhere someone is having more fun than me :ohmy: :unsure: :woohoo:

But a good KU bball win takes care of everything!

RC

-- Jules Michelet

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #5768 by konza63
Same here. A 2-hour game takes me 3 hours to watch due to this. Except I do get to skip through the commercials and make up some time, LOL.

The DVR is a phenomenal invention. Thank you, TiVO. (The originator)

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.