Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Selden

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #5624 by NotOstertag
Not playing great, not playing terrible, but his shot isn't falling.

Thinking somebody needs to tell him that if you're 0-3 from 3, and 1-6 overall, maybe you should stop looking for outside shots, and try to get to the rim. With his strength and athleticism, you'd think that he could go get some layups, build some confidence and then shoot outside.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago #5626 by Bayhawk
RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #5627 by konza63

Thinking somebody needs to tell him that if you're 0-3 from 3, and 1-6 overall, maybe you should stop looking for outside shots, and try to get to the rim.

I've been a broken record on that score. It drives me nuts when he just parks out there, then loses energy when the shots don't fall. He becomes a liability at that point, not an asset, and if I were Self I'd sub in Svi EVERY TIME I saw that energy deflation and bad body language kicking in. Even if it's just for a couple minutes here and there to send the message to Wayne, I'd do it.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag

More
8 years 2 months ago #5630 by DocBlues
If Wayne can get untracked and play at the level we know he's capable of, this team will be really hard to beat.

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #5638 by konza63
Agreed. Selden actually had "decent" energy for spurts today, despite the bad FG-shooting performance (1-6 overall, 0-3 from behind the arc). But overall, not a markedly good game.

The nice thing was Svi was a very able replacement. In 17 minutes, he hit both of his threes, grabbed 4 rebounds, and dished 3 assists. I like what they said about the footwork adjustment for Svi (for his shooting stance and thrust). It looks very good now. He's keeping his feet very squared to the bucket, he's going straight up off the jump (and coming down in a similar spot), and he's not turning his hips on the lift and shot. Very pretty technique with his hands as well. Hope he stays hot like this--heck of a weapon off the bench for the tourney!

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
8 years 2 months ago #5650 by newtonhawk
Part of what I like about what we are seeing right now with this team is that even without Wayne "clicking," we are still clicking. I just hope that when some of the other components are not working, Wayne will step in.

I think the thing I am noticing most about Svi is his effort and footwork on defense. he seems to have gained a step or two of quickness and is really putting out. Your analysis, konza with his shot is good stuff. I will try to look for that next time.

#Ilovethisboard