Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Impressed with Lucas on D

• NotOstertag
  • NotOstertag's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #5618 by NotOstertag
How many times does the KSU big guy need to run into Lucas' chest before he realizes he's not going through or over Landon today?

Lucas is doing an excellent job of moving his feet and staying vertical. I declare today's rim officially protected.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #5620 by konza63
Agreed, but two critiques:

* He did a poor job of finishing on two easy bunnies ("Bad Lucas" re-appeared there)

* He and others allowed way too many Purp offensive rebounds for Self's liking

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag

More
8 years 2 months ago #5655 by newtonhawk
One thing I noticed a number of times was that guys were leaving their feet way too often, taking the pump fake and leaving the grapes with bunnies. I am all for rim protection, but when you get antsie, you get beat.

This was not one of Landen's better days, but he still contributed adequately...hey, he made both of his free throws!

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #5666 by konza63
That's what's increasingly great about this team--if someone is off a bit, either in their whole game or some aspect of it for which Self needs better production, there seems to be a guy who's all too eager to step in off the bench and get it done. Today, that was Traylor putting in some nice minutes: to wit, he hit all 3 of his buckets, hauled in 4 rebounds, and blocked 2 shots in his 14 minutes. Of course, he turned it over 3 times as well, but he played well overall.

Same thing with Svi in for Selden, as mentioned earlier. Very solid production from the "next guy up."

This is a very, very good sign heading into the tourney--i.e., that those bench contributions have become very consistent and expected.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.