Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

KU, take note of Texas Tech

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #5583 by HawkErrant
They came in with absolutely nothing emotionally and lost to TCU.

Tech now gets to pace the floor and get the manicurist on emergency call because they will be sweating out getting into the Dance.

The latter not an issue for KU, of course.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #5584 by konza63
Tubby COY!

(Couldn't resist...)

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 months ago #5586 by HawkErrant

konza63 wrote: Tubby COY!

(Couldn't resist...)

I thought the same thing. :P

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
8 years 2 months ago #5593 by NotOstertag
Cracked me up this morning, Konza. Thanks for the laugh! Well, well played.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
8 years 2 months ago #5596 by Senex68
There is really no point in disparaging either Smith or Tech, but the COY award was and is a joke. And the sad part is that everyone involved knows it. Tubby is a competent coach. He's smart, has a good understanding of basketball, generally keeps his players involved and interested, and his teams generally win more than they lose. But he's an awful recruiter, and has never demonstrated to ability to maintain success. This year, because the alleged 'experts' underrated Tech in the pre-season, he gets credit for a decent season, and wins an award because his team won a few more than the 'experts' predicted. But he's not the COY, and it really is a shame that he stole that award from the only 2 men in the Big 12 that deserved it. Self should have been the COY, a subject with which we are all quite familiar. He's the best, and his team, OUR team, is the best as well. But as much as we may dislike Bob Huggins, he should have won if they weren't going to give the award to Self. But sometimes things work out, and at the end of the tournament, we'll see which team is still standing. And obviously it won't be Texas Tech.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #5599 by konza63
I harbor no ill will toward Smith. I think he did a good job this year just having his team win some big games in a tough conference. I wish they had won at least the game yesterday, just to ensure they didn't face-plant on the eve of the Dance.

My disdain over the COY thing is not toward him at all, it's toward the coaches in the Big 12 who appear to now be so envious and jealous of Self's success that they can't bring themselves to vote for him as the obvious choice for the award--especially this year, when the league was so strong.

No biggie, though, as the writers have been doing what the Big 12 coaches could not. And here's hoping Self gets the ultimate award come April 4th...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 months ago #5600 by HawkErrant
While I can only speak for myself, I really don't believe any of us are disparaging Tubby or Tech. We are all clued in enough to recognize and respect the coach and man Tubby Smith, and appreciate the improvement in Tech this year. The joke is, as you noted, the Big 12 COY selection process. I know that is what *I* was laughing about. :)

The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

More
8 years 2 months ago #5603 by NotOstertag
First off, you're spot on about Tubby. Competent, but the system is what it is.

Nevertheless, if you look at the votes you can probably tell a few things if it was a Self-3, Huggy-3, Tubby-4 vote (is that correct?).

Off the bat, I'd assume that none of the coaches voted for themselves, so it's a relatively safe bet that Self voted for Tubby or Huggy, Tubby voted for Huggy or Self, and Huggy voted for Self or Tubby.

That makes it theoretically possible that one of the 3 got the other two's votes (say Self and Huggy both threw it to Tubby) then Tubby only needs 2 votes to go over the top, or 1 vote to make it a 3-3-3 tie.

While we'll never know who voted for who, if Self and Huggy both picked Tubby, it would likely sway it enough to put him over the top.

It's kind of like how the conference coaches tend to vote 9-1 in the preseason that KU is the pick to win the conference. Wonder who that 1 dissenter is....hmmm....can't quite get my head around that....

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
8 years 2 months ago #5604 by JRhawk
Funny how this thread title would hint at KU being awake for today's game, but quickly devolved into a Tubby Smith contest.
For an interesting discussion by HCBS regarding the Big 12 tourney, please see the top story on KUSports.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, DocBlues

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 months ago #5605 by HawkErrant
How wude!
(And how twue!) :P

Who's this Self guy you want us to read up on? :woohoo:

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #5606 by konza63
In scouring the web early this morning, I noticed a paucity of coverage (and fan interest) in today's game. I think KU fans have somewhat of a love-hate relationship with the Big 12 tourney.

Speaking just for me, I put all of my stock in the regular season body of work. And then I turn my attention to the Dance, where the ultimate prize can be found. In between those two is this rather odd speed bump known as the Big 12 tourney.

I think the Iowa States and K-States of the world get up for this tourney, because they can find some temporary validation they couldn't get in the actual season campaign.

As for me, I just root for KU maintaining some momentum and not getting anyone hurt. I want them to win every game they play in, but honestly this league tourney rarely gets me very excited because there's often more potential downside risk to it than upside gain.

Despite all of the above, the games must be played. So let's stomp some Grapes!

Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.

More
8 years 2 months ago #5608 by NotOstertag
I'd add that now that there are 10 teams in the league and we play a true home-home exchange with everyone, there's less to play for. Sure, we could face WVU in a "rubber match", but it's kind of secondary since all 10 teams had the same opportunity to play the same schedule to win the league regular season.

It WAS different before when we had 12 teams and a North/South split. I remember years where we'd win and one of the South teams would be right on our heels, but we'd win by a game....but we played that team in AFH instead of their gym. Inevitably you'd hear that "we'd have won the league if we'd played you in our gym." So the tournament would "validate" the winner or "reinforce" the controversy for the 2nd place team.

I much prefer the round robin we do now, but it does make the tournament more of a distraction. Also, the tournament tends to be more "controversial" if the league race is closer. I think KU winning by 2 with 15 wins really took the air out of the rest of the league as event the best of the rest fell significantly short.

But yeah, let's win this thing too...and stay healthy and motivated throughout.

More
8 years 2 months ago #5609 by Senex68
I must say that I never understand playing a game without a total commitment to winning. I understand why some teams might actually see a game as a 'problem,' considering that winning the game gains them nothing and playing to win might result in an injury to a key player, but in my world you don't participate unless you intend to win. I hope our guys feel the same way. At this point in the season, any loss is magnified in importance, and I'd much prefer to win out. Yes, winning out is my goal, and I hope it's ours.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, JRhawk, gorillahawk

More
8 years 2 months ago #5611 by DocBlues
I agree, Senex. I get the sense from this team that they have more work to do and will not be distracted from reaching the goals they and the coaching staff have set.

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #5612 by konza63
Who said anything about not being totally committed to winning?

Me: I want them to win every game they play in, but honestly this league tourney rarely gets me very excited because there's often more potential downside risk to it than upside gain. Despite all of the above, the games must be played. So let's stomp some Grapes!

NotO: But yeah, let's win this thing too...and stay healthy and motivated throughout.

The point was simply that it would be nice if this temporary distraction of a league tournament didn't exist, in as much as we've already proven our worth as league champs over a long campaign and you have the risk of injury or losing some momentum.

Of course we want KU to win, since the games must be played. I think that is a given...

More
8 years 2 months ago #5614 by JRhawk
I agree that conference tourneys are a farce. Unfortunately, instead of more leagues doing away with them, the last holdout (Ivy) is going to have one next year. So, until they have gone by way of the dinosaurs, play to win.
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

More
8 years 2 months ago #5615 by NotOstertag
KU is playing with "house money" right now. They're a lock for a #1 seed and likely a lock for THE #1 seed barring something truly bad happening. They've already proven that they're the Big 12 champs and the tourney does nothing to change that.

Compare that attitude to OU. Had they hung on at KU, and won at home, things would be very different for them. They've been playing not-great of late, so seeding IS a big deal for them. A good showing in the Big 12 tourney could help them out quite a bit.

Both KU and OU want to win, and both will be motivated if they meet each other. The difference, IMHO, is that KU "wants" to win and OU might feel that it "needs" to win.

The trick is getting Self to get the guys to buy into the "need" to win camp despite the evidence to the contrary. I have no doubt that he can do that. I also have no doubt that the guys who get to play at KU have a whole lot more "killer instinct" than I ever showed on the playground or in rec league. Nevertheless, I've always been told to fear an animal that's been backed into a corner, and no matter how you slice it, I don't think KU feels backed into any corners right now.

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #5616 by Wheatstate Gal
I may not be old enough to remember Clyde Lovellette playing; but I AM old enough to remember the Big 8 pre-season tournament. Probably played in Municipal Auditorium (but I don't recall THAT for certain)..... Anyway I don't particularly care for this post season money fest....probably because we are never in a position to HAVE to win the tourney to get into the Dance field; other wise I might feel differently.

AND IIRC, the media tend to refer to the Tourney winner as the Big 12 Conference champs.....not the Big 12 TOURNAMENT Conference Champs.

I just hold my breath until KU finishes up on Saturday.....I so worry about injury.

Did I read where Squeaky has the Grapes playing for an NIT bid? SWEET! :evil:

More
8 years 2 months ago #5633 by DocBlues
OK. We can forget about Texas Tech now.

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 months ago #5634 by HawkErrant
:lol: :silly: :side: :woohoo: :P