Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

RIP, Clyde Lovellette

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #5582 by konza63

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #5585 by HawkErrant
Sad news, indeed. On a personal note, it never struck me that he was the same age as Anna's dad. Makes it all seem even closer to us.

Thanks for the notice, Konza. :(

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
8 years 2 months ago #5588 by wchawk
I had the extreme opportunity to be introduced to Clyde by Jerry Waugh years ago. It was a very big deal to me! He couldn't have been nicer. What a Jayhawk! He is one of only seven people ever to win an NCAA Championship, an Olympic Gold Medal and an NBA Championship. We lost a great one. RC !
The following user(s) said Thank You: gorillahawk

More
8 years 2 months ago #5589 by JRhawk
Amen. Never really thought about his YOB. Knew I was in late grade school when KU won NC in 1952. See 3 different DOB's - 9-7-29, 9-27-29, & 9-29-29. In a few stories that I found, was no reference to his nickname, Cumulus Clyde, so searched further. Found this interesting story. www.tribstar.com/news/lifestyles/histori...89-6cb1eee2a52c.html
Another interesting site. hoopszone.net/Kansas/Kansas/Players/L/lovellette-clyde.htm

More
8 years 2 months ago #5590 by NotOstertag
Clyde played well before my time, so I really don't have the same kind of personal attachment to him that I do some of our other greats. Nevertheless, his record of achievement and ties to the program are something that I certainly appreciate.

I'm sure that there will be some kind of "win it all for Clyde" groundswell, but I'm not sure that these guys (all of whom were born in the late 90s, I believe) would have the same emotional attachment that some of the people who knew or got to watch him play might have. I do think, however, that it would be easy and appropriate to stich a little #16 onto the guys' post-season jerseys as a fitting memorial and tribute to legendary Jayhawk as we head into tournament play.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #5594 by konza63
I was thinking the same thing, NotO. I hope they do stitch on a patch for him. And maybe there's some way for the coaching staff and/or AD to bring his memory to life a bit for the kids--just to punctuate that they are carrying the torch that he and others carried, just as he carried it for those that came before him.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag

More
8 years 2 months ago #5610 by jayhawk969
Rudolph, a member of the International Jewish Sports Hall of Fame, followed his father's footsteps (Harry Rudolph) as a referee, becoming an official at the age of 20. With charisma and personality, he symbolized NBA officiating to many basketball fans of the 1960s and 1970s, and was the first NBA referee in history of officiate 2,000 games.

Rudolph's control of a game and sense of humor is shown brilliantly by looking at the last game of the 1964 NBA Finals. During the heated contest, Wilt Chamberlain hit fellow 7-footer Clyde Lovellette of the Boston Celtics with a punch and Lovellette went down like a shot. Celtic coach Red Auerbach stormed onto the court and demanded that Wilt be thrown out of the game. Wilt told Red if he did not shut up, he'd be down on the floor with Clyde. Red countered with a great line, "Why don't you pick on somebody your own size." Rudolph topped Red's line by saying: "Red, do you have any other seven footers who'd like to volunteer?"

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #5674 by porthawk
Bob Ryan gave a nice tribute to Clyde Lovellette after he was the winner of today's show. He had a lot of nice things to say about him!
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by porthawk.

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 months ago #5678 by HawkErrant
Nice tribute at the end of the show.
Hi Points:
Being remembered today in Kansas, Indiana and by fans of the NBA of the '50s and early '60s.
Jayhawk
Led nation in scoring.
1952 NC
Olympics gold
3 NBA rings
After NBA a sheriff, a youth counselor, bottom line a life well lived.

Well done, Bob Ryan, well done.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
8 years 2 months ago #5682 by porthawk
I guess I was just being lazy. :)

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 months ago #5685 by HawkErrant
... I record both Around the Horn and Pardon the Interruption every day.
Today I didn't get to watch them until late in the evening, after having read your post, so I was waiting for Ryan's comments at the end of ATH.
Without your comment, I might not have thought to post them at all.
Definitely an Assist recorded in your line today, mate! :cheer:

More
8 years 2 months ago #5687 by porthawk
Got it, HE...and thanks. I'm putting it in the books as a hockey assist though :)

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 months ago #5689 by HawkErrant
;) :lol:

More
8 years 2 months ago #5705 by NotOstertag
Clyde wore #16. This year is 2016. Clyde won a NC on KU's 1952 team, which was 64 years go. 64 is divisible by 16 (64/16= "final" four). KU has 5 national championships, but only 3 NCAA tournament championships. If we win this one in 2016 it will be our 4th. So #16 is looking over the guys to get them #4 (NCAA crown) 64 (16x4) years after our first.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #5707 by konza63
I'll take it, amigo.

I'll also submit that, upon feeding my dog this morning, I noticed that the morsels in her bowl had self-formed (seemingly) into a makeshift Jayhawk-like formation. Coincidence? I think not... :silly:

PS: Speaking of the number "4," we got to the NC game in 2008. 4 years later, we were back again. It's now 2016, 4 years after our last appearance. I think we're due. And due to get the result we got in '08. Can I get an "amen?"

More
8 years 2 months ago #5709 by NotOstertag
AMEN!

More
8 years 2 months ago #5720 by JRhawk
Amen and an Elite 8 in 04 (08, 12, 16) - all election years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag