Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Why is the Big 12 intentionally dissing KU?

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 1 month ago #5484 by konza63
If you can stand to wade through this entire video created and distributed by the Big 12 conference, you'll note something odd: it isn't a "game highlights" video at all. Instead, it's a running, glaringly one-sided Iowa State highlight reel.

www.big12sports.com/mediaPortal/player.d..._id=10410&id=5120572

The only positive KU highlight in the ENTIRE "highlights" video clip is a dunk by Diallo, but that immediately turns into an ISU bucket. There is literally not a single KU basket highlighted in the piece, despite the fact that KU DID WIN THAT GAME (unless we all missed something Saturday)!

Seriously, what is going on with this conference and its disdain for KU? We are the flagship entity and the national standard bearer for this league when it comes to basketball programs, exposure, and credibility.

Hat tip to my nephew for sending this to me. (Though I kind of wish he hadn't, since it incensed me so much)

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• konza63
More
8 years 1 month ago #5485 by konza63
Here is the guy responsible for Big 12 digital media:

www.linkedin.com/in/kiron-andersen-5356276

Notice where he went to school? Iowa State!

What a joke... How can this guy be put in that kind of position?

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
8 years 1 month ago #5487 by porthawk
It's twilight zone-ish. It feels like an ISU fan stole the "tape" and re-edited it.

I'm as baffled as you, Konza.

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #5488 by Wheatstate Gal
Because they THOUGHT this was the year!

And once again, we spotted 'em a few games, laced 'em up, and played ball.....bitter pill to swallow. :sick:

More
8 years 1 month ago #5490 by NotOstertag
I'd send an email to the Big 12 media relations office and present your findings. Exhibit A: the video. Exhibit B: the link to the LinkedIn profile.

I mean, it's not a major crime or anything, but the league office should know that their video monkey isn't representing the LEAGUE accurately. I'd be willing to bet that his boss will give him a slap on the wrist for it and it'll be corrected. Of course, you then need to be sure to watch the NEXT KU/ISU highlight reel to make sure he's no longer doing it.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 1 month ago #5491 by HawkErrant
It never will be until they learn to play defense, especially if they can't find another gem such as Niang.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• konza63
More
8 years 1 month ago #5492 by konza63
The site had no "contact us" info, so I called out the video on Twitter. Sent a couple tweets to the ISU perpetrator too. Now it appears to have been taken down.

What a doofus.

More
8 years 1 month ago #5494 by Senex68
He did it because he could. I suspect that he never imagined anyone would object, and when someone did, the game was up. Insecure people do this kind of stuff all the time, by the way. Ask Bay.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds

More
8 years 1 month ago #5495 by Bayhawk
I've worked with emotionally disturbed (Ed. Code term) students for 30 years, and when I ask them why they . . . (fill in stupid behavior of your choice here) . . . they always say, "Because I can ."

Having said this, I should be honest and say my Big XII video would be all the games we won this season! ;)

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

• konza63
More
8 years 1 month ago #5496 by konza63
PS: I meant to say a "block" by Diallo.

There wasn't a single KU scoring play in the long video. But around 20 ISU buckets.

Senex, I hear you on the explanation. Hater's gonna hate, but a biased anti-KU homer shouldn't be in charge of Big 12 media content.

More
8 years 1 month ago #5498 by LasJayhawk
Not sure who's quote I'm mangling ( Heinlein maybe?) But I once met a lizard who said he was a dinosaur on his mothers side...

Yea,yea,yea, keepin' the faith
The following user(s) said Thank You: JhawkMom, WAJayhawk

More
8 years 1 month ago #5501 by Senex68
"This sad little lizard told me that he was a brontosaurus on his mother's side. I did not laugh; people who boast of ancestry often have little else to sustain them. Humoring them costs nothing and adds to happiness in a world in which happiness is always in short supply."

Heinlein from 'Time Enough For Love.'

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds
The following user(s) said Thank You: LasJayhawk, WAJayhawk

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 1 month ago #5502 by HawkErrant
:P
Lazarus Long. Great character.
The readers unfamiliar with it really needed the full quote to understand LasJayhawk's intent in posting it.
Thanks!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
8 years 1 month ago #5517 by NotOstertag
The video being taken down is all the evidence you need to that your actions were effective. I'm sure that the guy got a wrist slap and/or was embarrassed by it.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
8 years 1 month ago #5518 by NotOstertag
It's always funny to me to see what highlights ESPN does in their little 30 second post-game highlight reels. They seem to get it right most of the time....showing a couple of good plays by both sides and then showing the key plays by the winning team. Sure, there are times where I'd have chosen other clips, but they do a good job.

Then again, ESPN is a for-profit business. If they show too much bias (ACC-favouritism notwithstanding) people won't watch and they can't sell any commercials. The Big 12 isn't depending on video views to drag in much revenue. That's why this guy is working at the Big 12 and not ESPN or Sports Illustrated, and probably never will.

I mean, by your description, it's absolutely nonsensical. ZERO KU scoring plays, yet they won the game? What's the title of the video: "These 20 buckets weren't enough to get a win"?