Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

KU's pre-selection resume the strongest by far...

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #5473 by konza63
www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-...-25-and-one-rankings

RE: gaining the top seed overall, Parrish seems to think it won't matter what happens in the B12 tourney, but I think we have to win the first game to feel comfortable, and probably the semi-final to feel extra comfortable.

Whether we get the top seed in the Dance or not, I just hope that we play with the same kind of looseness and fire for 6 games that we displayed at Texas, rather than the tight, not-to-lose approach that has sunk us in prior tournaments. We may be on top, but we aren't a dominant team that will run laps around all the others. We have little margin for error with this team when it comes to high-level competition (see: Iowa State game on Senior Day), and we need to be on top of our game at all times.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 1 month ago by konza63.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 1 month ago #5475 by NotOstertag
Couple of thoughts:

Having THE #1 seed is a good thing, but probably doesn't mean much more to our chances than being ONE OF THE #1 seeds. I agree that we basically need to avoid disaster...which would be losing our 1st round game in the Big 12 Tourney to keep the #1 overall. I think it would take an absolute disaster of biblical proportions (i.e our starting 5 all suddenly being ruled ineligible) to fall to a 2 seed.

We didn't play like "us" on Saturday, yet we won anyway. I think that while senior day is a big motivator, it's also a distraction and guys are playing "not to lose" as opposed to playing to win.

In the end, tournament ball is a crapshoot which is why I have such a love/hate relationship with it. I also think that as Kansas fans, we can be like the supermodel who looks in the mirror and only sees flaws. Every team, including ours, has flaws and weaknesses, and the other guy's flaws are probably less evident when you don't watch them as closely as you do KU. Statistically, however, looking at the team this year, and what ended up being a dominant run through the toughest conference in the country, and if I were an outsider, I'd think KU has the best shot of winning it all.

To me, the best thing I've seen from our guys is that in the past month, they've figured out how to close other teams out. These guys are clutch. I like our chances.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

More
8 years 1 month ago #5477 by Bayhawk
She'll always be a "supermodel" to me . . . ;)

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet
The following user(s) said Thank You: NotOstertag