Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

How can Iowa State beat KU this weekend?

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 1 month ago #5353 by konza63
From ESPN today:

1. Iowa State hasn't won at Allen Fieldhouse since 2005. What will it take for the Cyclones to get it done this time?

Andy Katz: Well, Kansas will have to melt down a bit, like it did the last time the two teams played in Ames. I don't see that happening. I can't see Kansas wilting on senior day with a chance to lock up a No. 1 seed.

Dana O'Neil: It's an awfully tall order to ever beat Kansas at home, but in this circumstance, on the last day of the regular season, it might be impossible. Iowa State will have to play flawlessly and not get rattled in a sure to be raucous Allen Fieldhouse.

John Gasaway: 1. I'm going to squint really hard and try to see this glass as half-full for the Cyclones. Yes, it's senior day in Lawrence, but this is a Jayhawks team that's already won the outright Big 12 title and (realistically) has a lock on an NCAA tournament No. 1 seed. Maybe Bill Self's guys will be just a little off in terms of motivation? Plus it's only been three years since KU needed a banked-in 3 from Ben McLemore in the final second of regulation at home to beat Iowa State in overtime. Then again maybe I'm squinting so hard my eyes are shut.

My short answer?

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 1 month ago #5356 by NotOstertag
Seems to me that in those panels they always have to have at least one person take an opposing view. Looks like John was given that task this time, and even with that responsibility he couldn't get it done.

Is it possible we lose? Sure, anything can happen. But without even knowing Corpus or Asteroid's "odds of winning" based on statistical data, the mental/psychological factors have to favour KU by about 1000:1.

Maybe if it were early in the season instead of Senior day. Maybe if KU wasn't playing with the swagger, "looseness" and confidence of wrapping up the league with games to spare. Maybe if KU hadn't already won "the game of the year" in multiple overtimes vs. OU. Maybe if there's a blizzard and only 9 fans show up. Maybe if we haven't already beaten 4 teams ranked nationally higher than ISU at home already this year. Maybe if the home crowd wasn't aware that this is their last chance to see KU at home this year, and THIS KU team at home this year, or for about 1/4 of the students to not realize that this might be the last time THEY get to go to a KU home game as a student (remember, KU celebrates its senior players, but there are a ton of senior STUDENTS in the house who will never ever get to experience AFH the same way ever again).

Finally, do you see, even for a moment, Perry (or Jamari...or Mickleson or Manning for that matter) allowing ISU to let them go out like that?

Geez, I'm actually kind of feeling bad for ISU having to make the trip. Maybe we should send them flowers or something.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: newtonhawk

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 1 month ago #5357 by HawkErrant

NotOstertag wrote: Seems to me that in those panels they always have to have at least one person take an opposing view. Looks like John was given that task this time, and even with that responsibility he couldn't get it done.

Is it possible we lose? Sure, anything can happen. But without even knowing Corpus or Asteroid's "odds of winning" based on statistical data, the mental/psychological factors have to favour KU by about 1000:1.

Maybe if it were early in the season instead of Senior day. Maybe if KU wasn't playing with the swagger, "looseness" and confidence of wrapping up the league with games to spare. Maybe if KU hadn't already won "the game of the year" in multiple overtimes vs. OU. Maybe if there's a blizzard and only 9 fans show up. Maybe if we haven't already beaten 4 teams ranked nationally higher than ISU at home already this year. Maybe if the home crowd wasn't aware that this is their last chance to see KU at home this year, and THIS KU team at home this year, or for about 1/4 of the students to not realize that this might be the last time THEY get to go to a KU home game as a student (remember, KU celebrates its senior players, but there are a ton of senior STUDENTS in the house who will never ever get to experience AFH the same way ever again).

Finally, do you see, even for a moment, Perry (or Jamari...or Mickleson or Manning for that matter) allowing ISU to let them go out like that?

Geez, I'm actually kind of feeling bad for ISU having to make the trip. Maybe we should send them flowers or something.

Geez, Mr. 11 12, and you talk about *me* possibly jinxing them! :ohmy: :silly: :blink: :sick: :oops: :S :whistle:

Let's save sending the flowers until we have the coroner's confirmed time of death in hand. :evil:

Other than that, I totally agree with you! ;)

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
8 years 1 month ago #5359 by NotOstertag
Look at it another way: there's no LOGICAL way we should lose this game. It's practically unfathomable. If it were to happen, however, not only would it be an enormous and earth-shattering upset, but it would shake our very foundations. Would ANY of us feel the least bit secure heading into the post season if we gave this one up to ISU on senior day?

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
8 years 1 month ago #5361 by hairyhawk
I would have said the same thing s about no way we could lose going into OSU. That did not turn out so well. I agree we should win but really anything can happen. I will cross my eyes, throw salt over my food and knock on my woody just to make sure I don't jinx us. Keep up the good work guys and hopefully things will go our way.

More
8 years 1 month ago #5364 by LKF_HAWK
From Jesse Newell's KC Star 3 minute preview. I hope the Hawks pound the cyclones.

ABOUT IOWA STATE (21-9, 10-7 Big 12): The 21st-ranked Cyclones have won two straight, picking up consecutive home victories over Kansas State and Oklahoma State. Iowa State dominated the first matchup against KU, winning 85-72 on Jan. 25 in a game when guard Monte’ Morris had 21 points, nine assists and no turnovers. Forward Jameel McKay wasn’t ruling out a sweep either, telling reporters on Thursday, “I would be surprised if we don’t win, to be honest.”

Read more here: www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12...7.html#storylink=cpy

More
8 years 1 month ago #5370 by RobS
I am always worried that arrogance on the part of us fans will somehow carry over to the team, so hearing that some people here think that there is just no reasonable way to lose scares the heck out of me. So, I guess I'll be the devil's advocate and present a few cases for how ISU could win today.

1. Both teams could play the same way they did in the first meeting. Or
2. One of our key players could get injured. Or
3. It's senior day so ISU goes into attack mode right at tipoff and gets a 4-10 point lead before we can get our normal starters in. However, at that point half of our best guys have butterflies in their stomachs from the day's emotion and proceed to play with no energy. As they try to get their energy back, they start playing stupid, taking silly risks and turn over the ball again and again. Meanwhile, ISU can't miss a 3-pointer and their guards expose our guards as slow defenders who don't get good defensive position.

But I'm sure Self can deliver a scarier scenario than this and get them focused at this time of year. My only point is that it is not really that unbelievable that a loss COULD occur today.

Mongo just pawn in game of life.

• konza63
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #5371 by konza63
It was a slow hoops week on the board, and I saw that ESPN "panel" piece and decided to post it--since there weren't any other items on here about the game today. I can't speak for what was posted after that by others, but just speaking for me:

* I'm well aware that ISU has dominated KU of late, including in the only other game played this year...

BUT

* They haven't beaten us at home, even though (McLemore banked 3--gasp) they've come close.
* It's Senior Day
* It's Perry's final game in the Phog
* The energy will be off the charts

I could go on, but the odds and intangibles are very much in our favor. (Of course, they were in UT's favor on Monday, too, and we saw how that went) I personally have squinted my eyes and thought about how we could lose (very similar to your post), but it would be so disheartening for that to happen that I don't even want to think about it.

I think ISU will push us as hard as they can (as always), but the will to win, coupled with the Phog effect, will push us over the top.

Hope I'm correct on that...

GO HAWKS!

Rock Chalk...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 1 month ago by konza63.

• konza63
More
8 years 1 month ago #5372 by konza63
Yet another intangible...

Obviously that has nothing to do with the play on the court, but if we're struggling and one of our core players happens to glance over and see Bob with his headset in his final AFH broadcast, that will not be a trivial thing.

More
8 years 1 month ago #5373 by Bayhawk
:(

He will be missed. Send him out in style 'hawks!!!

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 1 month ago #5376 by Senex68
We are a better team. We have a better coach. We are deeper. We are playing at home, where we almost never lose. And it is Senior Day, which has guaranteed a win since 1983. And we are not only playing with house money, but we have the real motivation of locking up the #1 #1 seed, which is important to all of us. And, most significantly, I am at the bottom of The Rock Chalk Challenge, having had my worst year EVAH. I'm embarrassed and humiliated, but today is MY chance for redemption and I've submitted the score of 90-78, in favor of the good guys. So it will be a win, albeit NOT a blowout. We'll hold our lead throughout the game, and in the last minute or two, ISU will hit a few 3s which will lower the spread from 20 to 12, which will make me a winner for the first time EVAH in the history of the RC Challenge. I will be vindicated, and KU will be THE top seed, and we'll roll to the title. And that is the truth, my friends. The absolute truth.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #5379 by Wheatstate Gal
Thank you, Dr Norman Vincent Peale!!

Let's ALL get those positive thoughts directed to "the Allen Fieldhouse" .

Roooooock chaaaaaalllllk Jaaaaaay Hawk, k yoooo oooooooh!

Vindication for Senex!!!!!! Let it be so!!!

More
8 years 1 month ago #5393 by porthawk
If KU hits a few more of their free throws, you'd have the exact score (although it would've been from extending the lead, not having it shrunk down :) )