Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Bracketology - Mar 4th - Lunardi's version

• JRhawk
  • JRhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #5350 by JRhawk
He loves some drama. Has FGCU as possible 1st round KU opponent. I wondered if he was jumping the gun (since FGCU plays Stetson in conf tourney championship on Sunday, but in further remarks, see Stetson is ineligible this year.
espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology
Also, I wondered why some bracketologists have one set of FF region matchups and others have another set. I didn't realize that the overall #1's seed's region plays the 4th #1's region.
espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/stor...tology-how-does-work

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 1 month ago #5355 by HawkErrant

JRhawk wrote: He loves some drama. Has FGCU as possible 1st round KU opponent. I wondered if he was jumping the gun (since FGCU plays Stetson in conf tourney championship on Sunday, but in further remarks, see Stetson is ineligible this year.
espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology
Also, I wondered why some bracketologists have one set of FF region matchups and others have another set. I didn't realize that the overall #1's seed's region plays the 4th #1's region.
espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/stor...tology-how-does-work

The overall 1-4 and 2-3 seed matchup has been stuck in my head since 2008 when KU had to play the tarred heels in the NSFs.
I saw in the article that this has been the case since 2004. Did not realize it had been that long, but is sure makes sense (hard to believe that "makes sense" and "NCAA" are in the same discussion and on the same side of the argument).

Interesting about Stetson. I wonder what happens if Stetson should win on Sunday? Does the regular season champ get the bid, or does FGCU get the bid by default?

I noticed in the text of the FAQs that Louisville was mentioned as if they were playing. Surprised that was not updated, even though the example using them is still good.

Thanks!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• JRhawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #5358 by JRhawk
Yes, those don't often go together when it comes to NCAA.
I definitely never got the FF bracket procedure in my head - maybe it will stick now.
Good ? about the A-Sun. Found the answer - if FGCU wins Sun, they are in. If lose, N Fla is in (conf champ)
atlanticsun.org/sports/mbkb/2015-16/releases/20160304m8sy7g

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 1 month ago #5363 by HawkErrant

JRhawk wrote: Yes, those don't often go together when it comes to NCAA.
I definitely never got the FF bracket procedure in my head - maybe it will stick now.
Good ? about the A-Sun. Found the answer - if FGCU wins Sun, they are in. If lose, N Fla is in (conf champ)
atlanticsun.org/sports/mbkb/2015-16/releases/20160304m8sy7g

So NFla, the regular season conference champ, who lost in the tournament to FGCU, is rooting hard for FGCU to lose so they get the bid by default. This begs the question -- since the normal agreement that the conferences have with the NCAA is that the conference tournament winner gets the automatic bid, and the ASun staff know going in that Stetson will not be able to participate in the 2016 NCAAs, why was Stetson allowed to play, since this scenario could (and may) happen?

One could argue that Stetson was barred from the postseason by the NCAA, not the ASun, and the ASun sees no reason why Stetson should not participate in their tournament. IOW, the things the NCAA found so foul don't rise to the level of punishment in the conference halls of power.

Guess everybody in the ASun (besides those NFla losers, of course) better hope that FGCU wins.

On the positive side -- clearly the NCAA has a ripe pool of future NCAA execs in the ASun offices.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• JRhawk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #5365 by JRhawk
Further explanation. www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-...tic-sun-commissioner
For the record, the reason I brought up the A-Sun tourney is former KU Asst Coach Joe Dooley is the current FGCU head coach.

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 1 month ago #5367 by HawkErrant
Okay, I understand the ASun's decision to change their rules in light of NKy. That seems to be the right thing to do given the NCAA rules barring new D1 teams playing in the NCAA post season events.

What I don't understand is:

Why the NCAA has such a rule? If a school is okayed to become D1, why do they have to go through what amounts to a probationary period -- thus inspiring a conference to amend its rules to give those new D1 athletes a chance to feel that at least their new conference feels they belong.

But Stetson is a different situation. The academic progress rules, unlike the new D1 probation rules, make sense to me. Stetson didn't meet the requirement. They appealed to the NCAA and lost, but then the ASun okayed their conference appeal, apparently after the NCAA decision? Makes no sense to me, unless the ASun is making a point with the NCAA with their decision to let Stetson play.

I do understand the sentiment that the finals loser never earns the right to go, but think about this. What if NFla had beaten FGCU? They would be in a win-win situation. Win or lose, they'd be getting the auto bid. But if they lost the tournament title game, did they deserve the bid?

In the grand scheme of things this is irrelevant.
And if Dooley's Eagles win on Sunday, all is well.

P.S. - I like the irony of my arguing against Stetson playing, as we live on Stetson Drive.

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 1 month ago #5368 by konza63
I hope that The Enforcer has his boys playing well and makes the Dance. That would be wonderful. Just don't put them in our region. Not because I would be afraid of them at all--NOT--but because let's see Dooley get a chance to inflict some damage on someone, and not have to face his Mentor (which you KNOW he would never want to do...certainly not in the first round!).

Go FCGU!

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.