Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

KU and NU agree to a home and home

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #5275 by HawkErrant
NU @AFH 2016-12-10
KU @Lincoln 2017-12-16
sports.yahoo.com/news/nebraska-kansas-ag...74951575--ncaab.html

Having already played CU since they left, this is the second series with former conference mates.
Wonder if A&M is on the horizon in the SEC Challenge?

Is this an example of KU giving mOO the finger?
Soren Petro (WHB 810AM) thinks so.

Is it an example of KU prepping for stepping over to the B1G should the Big 12 fall apart?
Don't think so, but sure doesn't hurt.

Mixed feelings myself. :S

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #5276 by konza63
I don't really get the logic or benefit of it.

If it's to thumb the finger at Misery, I would simply ask Why are they even remotely relevant to us now? Answer: They're not. So there's no need to make them feel relevant, even if it's just KU snubbing them.

We don't make money from this game. Nebraska is not a basketball school, so we get no SOS or brand value from the game. I don't recall the last time we were fighting for a recruit from that hoops-barren state, so that's not a good reason, either.

Really, compared with adding a quality game to the schedule (including even someone like Wichita State, which would generate more buzz, more TV eyeballs, and be a better SoS game since it's a hoops school), I don't get the point of this series.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
8 years 2 months ago #5277 by JRhawk
Makes zero sense to me. Unless HCBS wants revenge against Ali Farokhmanesh (NU graduate manager) or to show AWIII what he missed by leaving KU. Nah, I got nothing.

More
8 years 2 months ago #5280 by NotOstertag
I'm good with it. It's not a shot at Misery. They're irrelevant...just look at their record. In fact, since moving to the SEC and losing their historical Big12/8 rivals, they're on the outside looking in at the traditional SEC rivalries (Kentucky, Vandy, Florida, Arkansas, Tennessee, etc.). Kind of like trying to manufacture a rivalry between KU and TTech....there's just no meat on those bones. Ditto with Misery vs. Vandy....who cares?

Based on that, combined with the absolutely abysmal performance they've demonstrated since leaving the conference, it's really no longer about "punishing" them for leaving, and more about not having any relevant reason to schedule them.

As for Nebraska, while not a hoops powerhouse, there are some good reasons to do it:
1.) proximity: KU fans can travel, and there are likely KU fans around Lincoln. That time of year, it's also convenient for the team to do a short bus ride.
2.) recruiting: Nebraska is our back yard.
3.) Major conference team...potential exposure on Big 10 network, etc.

Look at it this way: pick a big-school opponent, that's nearby, and has the ability to deliver some KU fans to the game (or opposing fans to come to AFH). That leaves 4 schools: Colorado (already did this one), Nebraska (scheduled), Iowa, and Misery (why bother?). The only other option is Iowa, and I could see that happening, although it lacks the former-conference-foe connection, and would likely be a tougher game. If you're going to schedule a game that you might lose, better to schedule Kentucky or another blue blood.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
8 years 2 months ago #5287 by Senex68
Teddy Owens is Director of Basketball Operations at Nebraska. He is Ted Owens' son. That may be the link.

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Socalhawk

More
8 years 2 months ago #5289 by Bayhawk
RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 2 months ago #5290 by NotOstertag
Good to know. I googled their coach and didn't see any connection, nor do we have any players from Lincoln that I know of. The Owens thing is cool.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• HawkErrant
  • HawkErrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #5295 by HawkErrant

NotOstertag wrote: Good to know. I googled their coach and didn't see any connection, nor do we have any players from Lincoln that I know of. The Owens thing is cool.

Yes it is! :cheer:

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
8 years 2 months ago #5303 by JRhawk

More
8 years 2 months ago #5323 by RobS
I don't like this. Didn't we play Colorado sometime too? I don't like that either.

I thought we had a simple rule on this: we don't play Big12 defectors. We should especially not play Big8 schools who defected from the Big12.

Mongo just pawn in game of life.

More
8 years 2 months ago #5324 by JRhawk
Yes, KU played a home and home with CU - 2012-13 at AFH, 13-14 in Boulder. It's all about the coaching connections - Tad Boyle (CU coach) played at KU. Look where KU got extra players for the WUG games - Moore from SMU (Larry Brown) and Debose from FGCU (Joe Dooley)

More
8 years 2 months ago #5331 by mtnMan
wish they were playing Colorado again instead of Nebraska. Lots of western Kansas fans traveled to Boulder. And mtnMan and boulderHawk got to see the Jayhawks in person. Then again, there is no shortage of locals who enjoy reminding me that in the last game in Boulder Booker hit a 40-footer over Wiggins to win the game. My reply (where are Booker and Wiggins playing now) is a little lame.

More
8 years 1 month ago #5336 by JRhawk
Me too MM. I was there for that last loss and the previous one too. Thankfully, were plenty of wins in between. Agree another home & home vs CU would be much preferable. Of course, CU got very creative with their ticket packaging for KU games in the latter years, so became a tough ticket. Anyway, guess we can hope.

More
8 years 1 month ago #5337 by NotOstertag
They HAD to get creative. When your stadium has more than 50% of the seats filled with people rooting for the visiting team, you need to do something, lol.

More
8 years 1 month ago #5340 by JRhawk
Good point NotO. Guess I should be grateful that CU didn't do it a lot sooner.