Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Our Defense is really coming along...

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #5214 by konza63
There's still a feint voice in my head that has some concerns about our D (at times), but I must say that it has really, really been coming on of late.

Last night was an utter masterpiece. Yes, UT missed some shots that, if they'd gone in, might have made it less glowing, but make no mistake about it--KU studied the foe (agreed, Corpus!) and then the players executed on the court to the utmost of their ability.

Things that stood out to me:

* Our first-line, on-ball D (particularly Frank's) was superb, as was our switching and communication. Along with the packing of the paint, it prevented the likes of Taylor and Felix from separating much at all to get deep drives--where they do their most damage.

* Perry was OUTSTANDING. I paid very close attention to him last night, watching his matchups, his execution, and his footwork. He has IMPROVED MARKEDLY over last season. Remember when, in past seasons, we all noted how he could be better positioned (offensively) as a big 3, yet would get burned on defense in that role because he couldn't guard athletes in space? Well, you can throw that old critique out the window. If you don't believe me, please go back and watch the game again, and watch whenever there was a screen-dictated switch that then put Perry out in space against Felix or another guard. On every occasion, the guard would employ multiple moves to try to throw off Perry and create an opening for a blow-by, but Perry exhibited exceptional footwork, width, and fundamentals to negate it each time. This is crucial, because it shut down the flow of the UT attack, and typically came after the first offensive option (of a Taylor blow-by) was negated by Frank. Very impressive!

* Keeping Landen in the paint, as opposed to having him come out to guard Lammert, was a critical (wise) choice. Ellis was given the Lammert assignment, and excelled in that role (when not switching to take on a UT guard). And keeping LL in the paint to swat anything that came near the rim was pivotal.

* We played a far more disruptive game when it came to deflections and steals as well. There were several times where it looked like UT had a run at a nice play, but we got a hand in that led to a deflection/50-50 ball or an outright steal. We're not at Chalmers-Robinson levels yet, but it's a nice sign of "adding more icing to the cake" (more layers to the attack) as the season progresses.

The only downer was seeing Devonte get beat a couple times on baseline moves by Felix (IIRC). That shouldn't happen, and he seemed to be overly reliant on help D in the paint (which didn't come) to cover his mistake. Tighten up those couple of plays and it was just an exceptional display of individual and team defense.

It's a great sign, and let's hope it keeps deepening and advancing as a team attribute.

Rock Chalk...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jayhawk969

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago #5218 by NotOstertag
To me, it's most telling when you see some of the guys come off the bench and see the contrast. Of our bench players, Svi is a good defender. Jamari is good, but due to his "go for it" style, tends to foul. Brannen doesn't look much better than Chieck or Carlton, except Brannen doesn't have the length to be a shot blocker. Hunter, when healthy, has shown that he can protect the rim.

Bottom line, when Jamari or Svi come in, I feel ok. If it's one of the others, I take a quick look at the score and hope for the best.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #5235 by konza63
Concur with that sentiment.

Developmentally, in terms of his progression on defensive fundamentals, Svi is already approaching where Perry is in his senior campaign. That is very telling, and encouraging. He's going to have a great junior year at KU, I believe.

PS: This has been an evolution and advancement behind the scenes too...Svi wasn't guarding like he does now earlier in the year. Practice and hard work have paid off.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #5240 by Senex68
First, let me admit that I like Greene. I like him a lot. He's got passion and confidence and he can shoot. He's a bit immature, but he's been improving all season, and at some point in the NCAAs he's going to explode and win us a game or two. I watch him very carefully each game, and last night he was simply a better player than he's been in the earlier part of the season. He's an excellent rebounder, and his defensive positioning is improving as well. If we could get him 8-10 shots a game, or get the ball to him at the arc with some room, maybe off a screen or two, he'd be averaging 15 points a game. And last night we had Svi and Greene on the floor together, and Texas had no idea what to do. They couldn't double either, or double anyone in fact, without opening themselves up to a rain of 3s. We are now officially 'deep.' Really 'deep.'

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Senex68.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #5241 by HawkErrant
The youngest player on the squad (turned 18 last June), despite being a soph. Been hearing it all season, and still SMH when I read/hear about it.

If his recent progression is indicative of the leap he will make next year, I think we had better enjoy him while we can, because he will be gone after next year.

But not yet... not quite yet...

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
8 years 2 months ago #5244 by big g
whats great about the defense improving so much is that it makes an early out so much less likely. even on nights when we are not making shots we know we can grind with anyone and we have the confidence to do that. and, needless to say, the neutral courts we will have to win on are so much easier than winning at texas, kstate or west va.

More
8 years 2 months ago #5247 by CorpusJayhawk
In response to Konza -- You are spot on with your Perry assessment. Perry's defense miraculously imporved and I don't use that word lightly. I never dreamed Perry would be able to take the switch. He still has room for imrpovement on the interior help on the baseline switch but my gosh his perimeter defense is amazing of late. One of the biggest reasons we have improved. Also, keeping Landen in the paint is critical. You can tell teams try to run sets to get him out and he doesn't budge. Brilliant!!! Play to our strengths. Shaka's game plan simply did not work, not even close. He got schooled badly by the master last night. As for the downer of Devonte' getting beat don't be too down. That was an error in not playing to the scouting report, not athletically getting beat. He was to force him the other direction but was out of position and allowed him to go his preferred direction and the help was on the wrong side. Team defense was the key and Devonte' missed his assignment. While that was not good it is also VERY fixable. Lapses due to ability or talaent are discouraging and hard to overcome. Lapses due to mistakes are very fixable and with good coaching will be overcome. This team is a walking testament to that.

In response to Senex - At the beginning oif the season I posted often that I felt Brannen and Landen were the two keys to this team. I thought Wayne, Perry and Frank would be solid and we needed a couple others to step up. I felt those were the two. I am batting 1 for 2. But I am with Senex. I am not ready to give up on Brannen. He is showing signs of Curryizing his shot which will make him lethal. His defense is spotty still and some day he will learn that he can not handle the ball in traffic against high level Division 1 talent. But he can many things well including rebounding. And his length at the 3 can be a real problem. Svi is looking better and better as well. I like both and think one or the other is ready for a 20 point outburst.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #5251 by konza63
Good stuff, Corpus. Perry also still can struggle to hold position against a massive behemoth inside (say, a Gathers type), but that's more bulk and power advantages than any flaw in his game. And thankfully, no team typically has two of those types who are both big offensive threats, so Lucas will get the "power" assignment. (Speaking of which, did anyone notice how well he held his own against those very beefy UT centers last night? Impressive!)

The fact that Perry can now go out on the perimeter and hold his own against an athletic 4...or a 3 or 2 (off switches) is a huge deal, in that opponents are simply encountering fewer and fewer weaknesses to exploit.

Keep sawing wood, boys (in practices, surrounding practices, in the film room). Don't rest on your laurels, don't think you've mastered it all, and don't think that you can't have lapses. Prepare for every foe and play every possession like it's your last. Keep learning, keep growing, and we will only keep advancing.

Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #5261 by HawkErrant

konza63 wrote: ...Prepare for every foe and play every possession like it's your last. Keep learning, keep growing, and we will only keep advancing.

Because from here on out, every game is a last game of some sort --
Senior Day - final game in AFH and the regular season
B12T - play until you lose or win it all
NCAA tournament - more of the same, on the biggest stage!

Get 'er done, Jayhawks!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"