Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Another record we will soon tie...and then blast through

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #5063 by konza63
Consecutive Tourney Appearances:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Men%27s_Divis...secutive_appearances

Talk about some serious college hoops programs in that top 6. Soon we'll be tied for #1 all time. And next year, we'll rocket ahead of UNC.

I've mentioned the rarefied air that is KU consistency under Self (and in this case, going back to Roy). It's truly remarkable, so breathe it in and cherish every moment, sports fans!

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boulderhawk, jayhawk969, Socalhawk, mtnMan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #5072 by Wheatstate Gal
and to think....Just a few short weeks ago, I was teetering on a precipice about this team and HCBSs heart!

Oh ME of little faith....

Embarrassed/red faced in SoCal......

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #5077 by HawkErrant
Since you are talking "consistency" at the end of your post, and not just "continuous"..,

Despite the atrocious NCAA finding that kept KU home in Roy's first year(1989, for an emergency plane ticket home for a visiting recruit -- who never played for KU -- with a dying grandma, which would not generate any rebuke at all now), I would go back to Larry, who got KU to the Dance every year during his tenure. He resurrected KUMBB. Roy picked up the ball and ran with it after Larry left (which is what Larry does).

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
8 years 2 months ago #5085 by USAF Jayhawk
As I recall, it wasn't just the plane ticket. Vincent Askew was given a summer job in a Men's clothing store as a salesman and was advanced sufficient salary to buy a couple of working suits...and when he elected to not come back to KU he "forgot" to pay them back. The suits (and plane ticket for the funeral) were ruled impermissible benefits.

Larry Brown was quoted as saying that if any student came to him in the same situation he'd buy them a ticket also. I think the NCAA has backed off on this somewhat (recalling Thomas Robinson's situation with his sister...) although it's always better to ask in advance than to assume.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #5089 by HawkErrant
I agree it wasn't *just* the plane ticket, but I had always heard the complicating factor involved ye old "lack of institutional control", as KU had just been in trouble for football violations, and here the hoops program was having the same issues. I checked for more info, and although the details are not there, it turns out the NCAA was also unhappy with how a summer jobs program was being run by KU AD, which fits with what you mentioned. And all the Askew issues involved just 10 days. Reviewing this KUSports.com article , it seems the athletic department was more to blame, but Brown buying the ticket got the most press, which was a part of the heat the NCAA got for how they handled the case (as you noted, rules changes such that when TRob's mom died, KU was able to support him -- after clearing it with the NCAA first, of course). And it was interesting reading and remembering that Bob Frederick's staff had Bob believing that there really wasn't anything to worry about. Huh. Still the only National Champion in NCAA history that was barred from defending its title. And although there would have been a penalty, the barring from defending probably would not have happened if the job had been the only thing (and don't get me started on the delayed penalties that allowed UNLV to defend its title a few years later).

Do have to wonder about the identity of the (likely KState or mOO person?) "confidential informant" that tipped the NCAA off to the infractions.

Thankfully all in the past, but not to be forgotten.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
8 years 2 months ago #5103 by JhawkMom
I forgive you.