Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Weird game

• NYCJayhawk
  • NYCJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #4922 by NYCJayhawk
I'm gonna out it down to over excitement. Svi is hot, which is great to see, and overall, solid defense. Just gotta clean up the turnovers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago #4925 by NotOstertag
6 TO's in the half and 3 on Mason. Might still be recovering from getting his bell rung the other night, and now Traylor leveled him, lol. Ouch.

I think part of the weirdness is that we're seeing the 2nd 5 guys play significant minutes. New combinations will automatically be less smooth than going with our starters who know where each other are instinctively by now.

This is good...game's under control, and the bench is getting meaningful minutes.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

More
8 years 2 months ago #4927 by Bayhawk
:cheer:

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

• NYCJayhawk
  • NYCJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #4943 by NYCJayhawk
Great to be able to get the bench players some meaningful playing time. That's gonna pay off big time over the next few weeks!

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #4944 by Senex68
It was a weird game. Outside of the normal strangeness, I was struck by how inept Wayne Selden played. Every game I'm either impressed by him or appalled by his deficiencies. I run pro and con on his NBA shot this year, but after today I will be extremely surprised to see him really enter the draft. He's got all the ability in the world, but he's not a pro in his 'head' at this point. He loses focus too often and makes strange decisions, takes poor shots and still is a terribly inconsistent 3 point shooter. My guess is that he's back for his senior year, which will work to our advantage next year, because the mental part of his game is bound to improve.

As for Diallo, he should stay, but he's clearly got the attributes that the NBA values, and I'm leaning toward him leaving. A week ago I was convinced he was staying, but it will be very difficult for him to stay if Self informs him that he's got a 1st round pick as a certainty.

All we need now to move to the favorite for a title is Greene to start lighting it up. On any day, we can destroy most teams, but with one more long range shooter in the mix, we are essentially impossible to defend. Only KU can beat KU at this point, and THAT is what I fear the most.

I guess the most important thing for us to remember is that we now win without a particularly good offensive game. We've morphed into a classic Bill Self defensive juggernaut. Nice!

"When you have a ruling class that doesn’t believe in — or even much like — the fundamental values of the nations it rules, things tend to work out poorly.”

Glenn Reynolds
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Senex68.

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #4951 by konza63

All we need now to move to the favorite for a title is Greene to start lighting it up.

[/i]

It's a nice thought in theory, but...

If Selden keeps having the execution, focus, and energy/body language problems he's had of late, Self seems increasingly inclined to go with the more well-rounded, complete player (Svi) to soak up his minutes. If that's the case, and Svi keeps performing on both ends--particularly if he continues to hit 3-shots with a decent amount of accuracy (e.g., even in the 38-43% range rather than the scorching percentage he shot today)--Greene won't get as many opportunities to shine. The simple reason is they play essentially the same position, subbing in behind Selden. (Today was a good case in point: Svi with 23 minutes, Greene with 8 )

The only way I could see them both garnering decent minutes would be if Self suddenly started taking out either Frank or Devonte more and inserting either of those guys in the "2" role. That seems unlikely. Particularly for a team that seems to be clicking now with Frank and Devonte on the floor for most of the games.

I like Brannen's shot a lot (and the kid can rebound too), but if Svi shows an ability to consistently hit 3s and add to our overall offensive attack in other ways (for example, off dribble penetration and the dish), I would bet he'll be Self's choice--just because he plays much better defense than Brannen.

Of course, just as one can get hot, one can also go cold--so if that happens with Svi, it's nice to know that we have another guy off the bench capable of knocking down shots and providing a nice spark. In other words, we now have two (with the evolution of Svi), which is a great development, IMO...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by HawkErrant. Reason: change 8) to 8 ) to remove smiley