Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Undefeated February

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #4905 by CorpusJayhawk
If we can hold serve and beat the Red Raiders today, we will be undefeated in February. Bill Self has never been undefeated in February. The last team to do that is the 2002 team. Roy Williams did in twice, 2002 and 1998. Larry Brown did it once in 1986. This is a tough thing to do. Let's hope we will be congratulating this team and Coach in about 4 hours.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago #4906 by JRhawk
Interesting. A good time to start gelling. On a different topic, I notice that Landen Lucas is often quoted. Maybe he is becoming the team leader - he surely has been playing well.

• CorpusJayhawk
  • CorpusJayhawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #4907 by CorpusJayhawk
Good observation JR. I have sort of come to the conclusion that this team does have strong emerging leadership on several fronts.

Mason - Not a quintessential vocal or emotional leader but leads in the sense he is a fierce competitor and wills his team to win with his toughness
Graham - Probably the most quintessential vocal leader. It seems he is finding his voice as a leader as the season progresses. Still an underclassmen but he seems to be an emerging vocal leader and willing to take the big shot.

Selden - I have trouble seeing Wayne as a real leader. I think Wayne is a spotty leader but does not appear to be a "rally around me" type guy.

Perry - Definitely a leader but not the vocal variety. I do think his consistency and maturity provide an inspiring leadership. He is a great teammate and a senior and a polished player that can be depended on. I think that inspires others.

Landen - Maybe the most pure leader on the team, at least in a corporate sense. I could see Landen as a VP of a company in his future. He is well spoken, thinks clearly, thinks strategically, does not seem to get rattled at all, seems to be very bright and seems to have vision. I am not sure exactly how vocal he is but I suspect he picks his spots. I think he has earned the respect of the team because of his intelligence, maturity and humility.

Jamari - Not a leader but a great teammate.

Brannen - I do not see him as a leader other than of a rebellion of some sort. He is the Che Guevera type.

Svi - Has potential to be a leader in a couple years if he stays around. Smart and seemingly tough. But the youth is a barrier at present.

Hunter - See my comments on Landen. I think all the same applies to Hunter. I suspect he is a great teammate.

Freshmen -- No.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

More
8 years 2 months ago #4953 by LKF_HAWK
KU has to win on Monday, it is Feb 29th.

More
8 years 2 months ago #4957 by porthawk
nm

More
8 years 2 months ago #4969 by LKF_HAWK
No worries, lets hope March 2016 is as kind to the Hawks as March 2008 and 2012

More
8 years 2 months ago #5017 by Illhawk
I have a bad vibe about Austin. But I recall vividly that in 2008 we lost in late February in Stillwater and not again until the following season.

• konza63
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #5030 by konza63

I have a bad vibe about Austin.

I do too. I guess it's in part because we just won the crown, and are due for a bit of a letdown. We also didn't look good against TT, having to rely on a hot bench player (Svi) to beat a game Red Raider team that with our talent, coaching, and home court advantages we should beat by 20.

Then there's the "funk" that our starting wing remains mired in. Selden has become a very worrisome factor these days, and going forward into the tournament, for all the reasons covered on this board.

Throw in the fact that they want revenge, it's at their place, they're hot, they have growing confidence, they have a lot of athletic bodies to throw at us, and we're traveling after only one day off (after celebrating the crown), and I have to admit that it wouldn't surprise me for KU to lose this game. And perhaps lose by double-digits.

I hope my gut is very wrong on this, because we're still playing for sole possession of the crown and tourney seeding position.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #5033 by HawkErrant
I am also concerned because it is in Austin and we might have a let down, especially if Wayne is still in a funk. But not because they are hot, as they are not, based on their last 3 games.

Baylor handled them in Erwin 78-64.

They barely survived @KSU 71-70.

It took an incredible 25-5 run in the last 7:29, coupled with a complete collapse by OU after being in complete control of the game, for them to win that game.

Our guys play D as they are capable of doing and we will be in this game to the end. They play as they are capable on both ends of the court and it will be another KU W.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wheatstate Gal

• Wheatstate Gal
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 2 months ago #5037 by Wheatstate Gal
HE-

This post makes me feel better about tomorrow.

Thanks, WSG

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #5038 by konza63
They're 7-3 in their last 10 games, so they're not super hot (as the national narrative on them would have it), but they're playing well.

RE the OU win:

It took an incredible 25-5 run in the last 7:29, coupled with a complete collapse by OU after being in complete control of the game, for them to win that game.

I watched that game, and I don't see how anyone can spin that win into a negative for them. After Shaka called the timeout to re-set the team, they overwhelmed OU with their pressure and curb-stomped them from that point forward. In other words, OU's implosion wasn't self-generated or self-caused; they wilted under UT's pressure and attack.

It goes without saying that if we play up to our best standard on both ends, we'll win. But I don't have a warm fuzzy about this one--just a gut feeling. Again, I hope I'm very wrong.

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 months ago #5040 by HawkErrant
Unlike Moriarty Konza63 :unsure:, I try to be Oddball HE -- always with the positive waves! :woohoo: :P B)

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"
The following user(s) said Thank You: WAJayhawk

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago #5042 by konza63
I would be a lot more upbeat about our chances if this game was pivotal in the Big 12 race.

If we had to win the game to secure a crown, I would give KU the strong nod, since those are the games where we tend to come up big.

But since it's not pivotal, and the law of averages says we're due for a letdown after a long winning streak and securing #12, and before things get "real" in the Dance, my gut tells me there could be some rough sledding in Austin.

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 months ago #5044 by HawkErrant
I, too, expect rough sledding in Austin. But I have been impressed with their mental toughness, and this will be another major test of it. I think they can pull it off, but I think it is going to be a slugfest. In fact, I hope it is. I think the worst thing that could happen right now is not a loss, but a runaway KU win. Don't want any big heads growing on our guys' shoulders at this point. They know it's going to be a slog in March, and hopefully April, but they need to feel that, to really believe it, and not get cocky.

The following user(s) said Thank You: konza63

• konza63
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #5045 by konza63
After that sluggish performance Saturday, I'd actually LOVE a runaway win! :P

You're right on the mental toughness challenge. It would be a big statement in that regard, since the game is not a pivotal, high-stakes affair. It's more about pride and momentum at this juncture.

Go Hawks!

Last Edit: 8 years 2 months ago by konza63.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

More
8 years 2 months ago #5055 by sasnak
I think this game will tell us what we have going into tournament season. We need to be ready for their pressure and come out and hit them in the mouth!

It'll feel better when it stops hurting
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant, Wheatstate Gal

More
8 years 2 months ago #5066 by NotOstertag
Just my opinion, but while a "punch 'em in the mouth, step on their throats" performance could be a good indicator, a performance below that level isn't necessarily damning. It sounds like the team had a quick and light practice yesterday and then travelled to Austin. I'm sure they'll do a shootaround and run-through before the game, but won't go hard obviously.

So anything less than an embarrassing loss tonight can likely be explained away as not a big deal since we're playing a top team with a stellar home record on senior night after short rest....after we already sewed up the conference championship.

One thing Self said in the post-game interviews was that he looked at Tech/Texas as kind of a "pair" of games grouped together since there's not really any downtime between them...almost like a tournament weekend. So I assume he's got the guys approaching it as the same kind of "short rest, short prep" style they'll need in March. He also said that the benefit of this is that they'll have from Tues-Friday to rest up, and prepare for ISU so they head into Senior Night fresh and ready.

"When I was a freshman, I remember Coach Naismith telling us how important it was to play good defense." - Mitch Lightfoot

• HawkErrant
More
8 years 2 months ago #5076 by HawkErrant
Game time 3:00pm Saturday on ESPN

Wouldn't want anyone to miss it!

Rock Chalk!

• konza63
More
8 years 1 month ago #5161 by konza63
Just incredible. The meat of the Big 12 schedule...toughest league in the country...and we run the table!

It's getting VERY hard to not dream of great things with this team in coming weeks. ;)