Message from Dave..... Moderator Approval

Don't panic if your post doesn't appear immediately.

× Rock Chalk Talk: Basketball

Anything pertaining to basketball: college, pro, HS, recruiting, TV coverage

Pomeroy, Bilas & Greenberg on The Streak

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #4886 by konza63
Glowing praise:

www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12...article62724057.html

PS: Corpus has done more systematic work on the odds of our run than the "coin flip" angle at the end of the piece.

Hope the team makes the praise a reality tomorrow!

Rock Chalk...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HawkErrant

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Share this page:

More
8 years 2 months ago #4888 by CorpusJayhawk
This is a bit frustrating for me to read these types of articles. Understanding the statistics or the stochastic methodology is one thing but such a cavalier assessment of something that has a 1 in 5000 chance by their own admission as incredible is just downright frustrating. Flipping a coin that takes about 2 seconds is not the same as playing in 18 games over 2 over 2 months with a group of young men that have to maintain their physical health in a bruising sport is a ridiculous analogy. I have talked to Bedore and now I feel compelled to talk to Bilas to try to educate into the reality of what this accomplishment really is. First of all the odds are less than 1 in 5000. But far more importantly, the nature of the accomplishment is something that while statistically compares to a flip of the coin, is something completely different. I am satisfied that I understand what Coach Self has done but it wish I could find a way to convey this to the world in general.

Don't worry about the mules, just load the wagon!!

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #4891 by HawkErrant
BEGIN EXCERPT
“If you go through each conference, you’ll find that maybe over half the time, the best team wins it, but barely over half,” Pomeroy said. “An 18-game schedule is a really short time to try to prove who the best team is, and so often, it doesn’t do that good of a job of it.”

Yet no unexpected team has risen up to beat KU in the Big 12 — not even at a time when the conference is at its strongest.

According to Pomeroy’s numbers, this year’s Big 12 is tied as the toughest out of 390 conferences in the last 12 seasons, matching the Big Ten in 2010-11. Pomeroy, who calls this year’s Big 12 “historically good,” says if he’d have known the league would turn out this competitive at the beginning of the season, he would have predicted KU’s title streak would have come to an end.

Of course, that doesn’t look like it will happen.

“You have to obviously give Bill Self a ton of credit for what he’s been able to do to prepare his team during the streak,” Pomeroy said. “He obviously gives Kansas some sort of advantage beyond the talent.”
END EXCERPT

Give me a DOH!

P.S. - found this picture of Ken Pomeroy on the web.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

• konza63
  • konza63's Avatar Topic Author
  • c'85 Towering toward the Blue
More
8 years 2 months ago #4893 by konza63
It's a very flattering, upbeat article (the good...), but it definitely could've been so much more.

Let's hope that, once it's actually "in the books" as official, someone nationally takes it on and really dives into it with some depth.

Given that this year's Big 12 is rated as among the very toughest of the various conferences over a 12-year span, coupled with the fact that we have no POY candidate or solid projected first-rounders, it really does underscore what a special performance this year's team (with Self as the conductor) has accomplished. Er...will soon accomplish! (There's that little voice again--it isn't yet done!) :whistle:

Rock Chalk...

“With kindest regards to Dr. Forrest C. Allen, the father of basketball coaching, from the father of the game.”

1936 inscription on the portrait of Dr. Naismith, displayed above Phog Allen's office desk at KU.

• HawkErrant
  • b82, g84 Lift the chorus...
More
8 years 2 months ago #4895 by HawkErrant
... aside from the one whispering in my ear that a glass of wine would be nice right about now, is that soft voice emanating from a group of young men perched on the heights of Mount Oread, many voices as one voice gently flowing out across the quiet midwestern town of Lawrence, Kansas to its denizens below and then beyond, one that keeps whispering over and over on the cold night air for any that stop for a moment in their Friday night revels to hear -- "I think we can! I think we can! I think we can! I think we can!"

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime." - Mark Twain "Innocents Abroad"

More
8 years 2 months ago #4896 by Bayhawk
JHC that's funny!!!! :P Thanks for making my evening going into tomorrow's game.

I'm laughin' . . .

RC

The end is nothing; the road is all.
-- Jules Michelet

More
8 years 2 months ago #4897 by mpeterson44
A little more on streaks. If I am not mistaken we also have the longest current streak of being ranked. When is the last time we have been out of the rankings? Probably could find more streaks if we looked. Let me know if I am wrong on this one. ROCK CHALK!!!!

More
8 years 2 months ago #4898 by mpeterson44
How about most consecutive NCAA tournament appearances. Are we not in the lead in this category also? Just amazing what our Jayhawks have accomplished!! ROCK CHALK!!!! Lets make it 12 straight tomorrow.

More
8 years 2 months ago #4902 by hairyhawk
I laughed